Devils sign F Tomas Tatar

19 hours ago, woody footbreaker said:

i like the signings aside from tatar which is a real headscratcher, just a waste cap space imo. went right to check, if the skating is still there and it looks like he lost quite a step which begs the question if still can be effective at this point. was waiting for the last signing, expecting to finally get a center as insurance and roslovic is still there. we are missing some speed still from the 22/23 and roslovic would have brought this with some size, i would have him either as 3rd line center or on of the top lines. i guess mercer will be our center insurance which isnt great really. if either nico or jack get injured, our centers would slot hischier - haula - mercer - lazar for example. mercer coming off the top6 and 3 lines take big hit, that would be last season all over again, still with better defense and goaltending. i guess fitz just wanted to get things done and go on holidays lol

so now i would go:

bratt-hischier-meier

noesen-hughes-mercer

palat-haula-cotter

tatar-lazar-bastian

still a good mix of size, speed and skill i would say and meier/mercer could switch lines easily.

Do you feel this is a cup contender after 12 years?  I can’t say that I do.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Do you feel this is a cup contender after 12 years?  I can’t say that I do.

i think this year might be a bit to early and everything would have to go their way, fe the young guys taking all big steps and health obviously will always be a thing with our top guys upfront. also might take a bit with all the new guys until keefe finds the right mix, i am really curious to see how they will look like to start the season. and yes, i feel the way noesen plays its the best complementary player for jack that was brought in, i would even have cotter over palat and tatar to play with jack. noesen always had playmaker next to him in carolina be it necas or kotkaniemi and the production wasnt bad and its why he got paid that much.

again the centerdepth is worrying and i dont get it that there wasnt brought in one guy at least that could slot in a 3rd line role if injuries hit one of our current top3 c. the lack of depth of the forwardgroup was one big reason why the defense and goaltending looked like they did imo and you want to give the young guns the best environement to take the next step. to aquire one c inseason will cost a lot more then sign one now and we might be not able to get a quality c right away. i would feel a lot better, if this was adressed before the season starts and why i dont like the tatar signing.

anyway, if we can stay healthy for the most part, i think there is a chance that we can win the division.

Edited by woody footbreaker

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nothing against him personally but I just don’t think he has enough hockey left in him to help the team much.  I think most of whatever he had left was used up in 2022-23.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, woody footbreaker said:

i think this year might be a bit to early and everything would have to go their way, fe the young guys taking all big steps and health obviously will always be a thing with our top guys upfront. also might take a bit with all the new guys until keefe finds the right mix, i am really curious to see how they will look like to start the season. and yes, i feel the way noesen plays its the best complementary player for jack that was brought in, i would even have cotter over palat and tatar to play with jack. noesen always had playmaker next to him in carolina be it necas or kotkaniemi and the production wasnt bad and its why he got paid that much.

again the centerdepth is worrying and i dont get it that there wasnt brought in one guy at least that could slot in a 3rd line role if injuries hit one of our current top3 c. the lack of depth of the forwardgroup was one big reason why the defense and goaltending looked like they did imo and you want to give the young guns the best environement to take the next step. to aquire one c inseason will cost a lot more then sign one now and we might be not able to get a quality c right away. i would feel a lot better, if this was adressed before the season starts and why i dont like the tatar signing.

anyway, if we can stay healthy for the most part, i think there is a chance that we can win the division.

I agree with your post, just saying that after 12 seasons we would be closer to cup contention.  I know I’m being a drag, but I am a little frustrated with the roster construction considering all the assets and draft capital used the past two seasons.  If the issue is we overvalued our assets, then, it is a draft/development issue and something needs to be done to address it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puckbuster said:

I agree with your post, just saying that after 12 seasons we would be closer to cup contention.  I know I’m being a drag, but I am a little frustrated with the roster construction considering all the assets and draft capital used the past two seasons.  If the issue is we overvalued our assets, then, it is a draft/development issue and something needs to be done to address it.  

i am as frustrated as you. a lot the changes werent necessary with better evaluation of certain circumstances and in other cases not being as reactionary as they were. but easier to say now and we dont always know all the exact details from the past. whats in the past is done and we cant change it. all in all, i think fitzy did a really good job this time compared to last offseason and i am excited to see what sheldon can do. get all 4 lines to play defensively sound and connected with the defense and the offense will follow, time to be more optimistic about the upcoming season

48 minutes ago, woody footbreaker said:

i am as frustrated as you. a lot the changes werent necessary with better evaluation of certain circumstances and in other cases not being as reactionary as they were. but easier to say now and we dont always know all the exact details from the past. whats in the past is done and we cant change it. all in all, i think fitzy did a really good job this time compared to last offseason and i am excited to see what sheldon can do. get all 4 lines to play defensively sound and connected with the defense and the offense will follow, time to be more optimistic about the upcoming season

On paper, the first PP unit of Dougie, Luke, Jack, Bratt and Timo should be as lethal as anyone’s, this side of Edmonton.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2024 at 2:42 PM, woody footbreaker said:

What was wrong with Fitz's 2023 offseason?  He locked up both Bratt and Timo to full-term deals that seemed reasonable at the time, and made a trade for Toffoli that made sense (Sharangovich had really struggled for much of 2022-23 and though he obviously did some good things in 2023-24, let me see him keep it up AND do it for a team that's actually relevant).  I know some thought that he should have made a move for a goalie last offseason but VV had been league average (at times above) in his three NHL seasons, and Schmid had showed some promise...I give Fitz credit in that I understood why he rolled the dice on bringing them back for 2023-24 (he was hoping for another seasons of cost-effective/cost-controlled goaltending), and also why he didn't bet on them bouncing back in 2024-25...the blowup potential was simply too great to risk them stumbling out of the gate, even if last season was more team struggles than "It's all VV/Schmid/whoever's in net for the Devils".  Markstrom and Allen's track records don't scream "Automatic improvement", but they're vets and I'm hoping improved team play and a change of scenery for Markstrom leads to better goaltending than what the Devils got last season.  Would be nice if they could provide as good or better play than what VV and Schmid gave them for most of 2022-23.

I think he did a better job with depth moves this season than last, that I'll give you...but the depth guys also played more than intended.   

On a side note, the question I think that needs to be answered this year is what the hell is Dawson Mercer?  Is he a Top 6 guy or more of a 3rd liner?  2022-23 was promising on some levels but as a whole, that year was buoyed by a stretch of pure insanity (20 points over 12 GP) that came out of nowhere and hasn't shown any signs of happening again.  He's put up 40 points over his last 99 regular season games...that's really not enough, and it looks like to start the season he'll probably be getting Top 6 minutes out of necessity.  He's gotta prove himself worthy of getting them.

On 7/3/2024 at 11:03 AM, hystyk28 said:

There has to be something more than Holtz's on ice play that got the response from not only the Devil's coaches, but other GM's and Team Sweden.

Something is in the weeds here with Hotz and maybe at some point it comes out. The people I know to speak to about it has been very tight lipped in offering anything to shed light on it. 

Plenty of players over the years in the league with bad attitudes, poor work ethic, etc, so not sure what the stink is on him from keeping teams from wanting to take a shot at a guy that can bury the puck, but it is something IMO.

And yes I agree, if there ever was a time to use Holtz it was this year in the top 6.

I’ve posted the real story going back months. 

@hystyk28 well technically there is a team willing to take a shot at Holtz…the team that just traded for him.  He’s a former 7OA pick so he’ll get this chance and possibly one other, should Vegas wind up giving up on him later.

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@hystyk28 well technically there is a team willing to take a shot at Holtz…the team that just traded for him.  He’s a former 7OA pick so he’ll get this chance and possibly one other, should Vegas wind up giving up on him later.

Maybe he was the throw in for them to get Schmid...either way low risk for VGK for sure, but there is something there more than poor work ethic when discussing Holtz. I was told there was "incident."  I know when I can ask for more details and this wasn't one of them.

8 hours ago, SKA1989 said:

Would you mind posting it again (or at least a summary)?

Short answer:  Fitz and others felt he wasn’t doing enough to address weaknesses in his overall game:

https://www.nj.com/devils/2024/03/devils-gm-tom-fitzgerald-rips-alexander-holtz-he-has-not-had-a-good-year.html?outputType=amp

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Beating a dead horse with the Holtz stuff. Dude is gone. Who cares at this point. 

The board’s been so quiet lately that at this point I welcome just about any chatter heh heh.  I won’t be all that surprised when Holtz’s name still comes up here and there, even though yeah, he’s not our worry anymore.  

• Like 1