Club Krome is done

Satans Hockey

This is what happens when you have teen nights and all the dumb trash comes out. All the shows that were suppose to be at Krome have been moved to different locations so click here to see where the shows were moved to http://www.excessdb.com

Published in the Home News Tribune 8/31/04

Teen killed at Krome was to begin college

By LISA VERNON-SPARKS

and MICHELLE SAHN

STAFF WRITERS

One of Chanunda Broadus-White's sons went off to fight in Iraq and came home unscathed. Another, scheduled to begin his first day of college today, was killed over the weekend on the streets of Sayreville.

Che Broadus, 18, the son of a Newark police officer, and his 17-year-old friend sat in a car, in a line of vehicles waiting to get onto Route 35 near Club Krome early Sunday morning when an armed assailant approached and fired several shots through the closed passenger window, injuring the 17-year-old and killing Broadus, authorities said.

Broadus, of Union Township, and his friend had attended a teen night at the club Saturday evening, according to family members.

"Something's wrong with society. How does a kid fight war in Iraq and come home without a scratch, and the other (son) right in our own states gets killed at a party?" Broadus-White said, shaking her head, adding that there's too much emphasis on the war. "I think the focus should be here."

Assistant Middlesex County Prosecutor Thomas Kapsak said the killer wore a hooded sweatshirt, approached the car, and fired more than two shots through the closed passenger window before fleeing across Route 35.

The 17-year-old -- whom authorities would not name -- suffered a gunshot wound to his left hand. Broadus died in the ambulance from a bullet that passed through his lung and heart, Kapsak said.

Police are interviewing people who were in the club and in the line of cars that night. Kapsak said investigators do not yet know the motive for the shooting, and he did not know if the killer said anything to the teens before firing the gun.

"We're trying to determine all of these things," he said.

"I've seen plenty of people shot. I never thought I'd lose my baby boy," Newark police Lt. Anthony White said of his son, who his parents described as a fun-loving teen who liked exotic pets.

Broadus was scheduled today to begin classes at Union County College with plans to eventually transfer to Farleigh Dickinson University. He had planned to study history to pursue a career in education.

"He was looking forward to starting college. He was so happy. He took pride in being smart. He was a typical teen. So what if he forgot to take out the trash, he had morals and discipline," Broadus-White said.

Broadus was in the new Honda Accord his parents bought him.

His friend was shot in the left hand, shattering three bones, according to Broadus-White. Broadus was shot in his right side, but the bullet ricocheted and pierced his heart, said Broadus-White, who was in the emergency room when doctors tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate her son from cardiac arrest.

Yesterday, with family members and close friends inside their Perry Avenue home, Broadus-White and her husband vowed that justice will be done for their little boy. The couple is calling for the immediate closing of Club Krome.

"It's not safe. It's nothing like it used to be in the '70s, like for jazz and all kind of stuff," White said. "If they can't provide a safe environment for my kid, your kids, other parents' kids, it shouldn't be in operation. I don't think they have the patrons' safety in hand."

White said he has been in contact with Sayreville Police Chief John Garbowski, who told him the department is doing everything it can to get the club closed down. White wondered if the club had metal detectors or surveillance cameras.

Broadus' friend got into an argument with someone inside the club, which may have led to the shooting, Broadus-White said.

"These young kids, they get so wrapped up with this (gang stuff)," White said. "They feel it's the only way to survive, that it's essential for their survival."

Broadus-White said she never thought she would have to think about things like picking out a casket for her son. She said the family is still in shock over his death, and that she, herself, is on automatic pilot of sorts.

"You don't bury your kids," she said. "I'm just responding now. Too many things that I have to do. I lose it at times. (But) I'm just trying to maintain."

The Route 35 club used to be known as Club Bene, and it has been owned by the same family for more than 50 years. But in 2000, after complaints from neighbors about noise, parking problems and unruly patrons, the Sayreville Borough Council revoked the club's liquor license.

The club then began hosting alcohol-free shows, and it was hosting a teen dance night on Saturday.

"I wish to express my condolences to the family," said Tom Beninato, co-owner of Krome.

Sayreville Borugh Council President Thomas V. Pollando yesterday extended his sympathy to the Broadus family and called for the closure of Krome.

"Club Krome has proven itself to be not only a nuisance but a danger to public safety," he said in a written release. "The time for half-measures is over. Club Krome must be closed immediately and permanently."

The councilman said that since the revocation of the club's liquor license, there have been complaints about other problems, such as fights and disturbances there. He said he plans to ask the borough attorney to look into the steps officials need to take to shut down Krome and said he also wants to set up new, strict security requirements for other clubs in the borough.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call investigator Todd Gerba of the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office at (732) 745-4102 or Sayreville detective Douglas Sprague at (732) 525-5411.

Contributing: Staff writer Chris Jordan

Don't blame the club closing on that teen night (which BTW, the Absolutepunk Tour was going on that night in the other room). Don't even blame the shooting on it.

The club was gonna close eventually, let's face it. Residents of Sayerville have been complaining for YEARS to get the place shut down because no one would do anything about the noise problem. The owner never listened to their complaints. He was a jackass in that respect -- he didn't watch over his own club, and things got out of hand. He should have kept things in order, he should have kept the noise down and the security top notch.

The kid was an idiot, and it's just another example of ignorance in today's society. You just don't get all pissy and shoot someone.

It's very unfortunate because it could have been avoided. Some kid who was about to start school, a career, a family...is dead. His life is over before it even started because of some kid's ignorance.

So now Birch Hill is gone, and so is Krome. What's left? Cricket Club? That place is in an awful location. Aside from that, I can think of Starland and Rexplex off the top of my head. New Jersey is really starting to lose its steam in the "scene". Hard to really get anything going if there's nowhere to play around here anymore...

Krome does have houses around. I do blame the kids because if he didnt get shot the club would have at least stayed open for the rest of the year and know I got to go to the city or philly because the Cricket Club is in a really bad area. They also have the Hamiltion St. Cafe but thats more an emo hangout. Whatever ill be going to the TLA in Philly more now.

Remember the prosecuter on "Law & Order" BEFORE Jack?

Well, he tore down an old condemned building in downtown Halifax and had a new apartment complex built. The building site was:

XXX

XOX

XXX

Where X is a nightclub/bar and O is his apartment building. He then went raving to the city that he couldn't get any tenants because the nightclubs were making too much noise. He was demanding law changes and "noise patrol" police.

I grew up with Heath, the guy who runs excessdb. He is such a dick.

Back a few years ago, most shows in Jersey were at legion halls or the sort. Sure there would be two or three shows there and the place wouldn't allow anymore once they caught on with what happened, but if you kept rotating halls you could always find one.

I miss those days. I hate going to actual club-type places for shows. They don't feel like shows, they feel like concerts, and there is a huge difference. I like DIY, not club rules like 18 and up or $4 for a cup of water. F**k that s**t, man.