Colorado Still Winless At Home...

insanity_gallops

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mm hmm NJay, and that's what outside observers said about the Devils, too.

IG I can't believe you forget Bryan Muir's New Jersey tenure.. he played 1 game with the Devils.. #29, I believe.. the guy is big and has a hard shot, but he's not good other than that.

DeVries is overrated. Always has been. He has Avs syndrome.. once a player dons the Avs jersey, the rest of his career is forgotten.. DeVries is at best a 3rd pairing guy.

Well still...they have players such as Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk, Rob Blake, Derek Morris, and Patrick Roy. With a lineup like that, they aren't going to remain winless for long at home or have a .500 record for long. They could pull off a 1999-00 Devs (except winning the Cup of course, cauz that belongs to the Devs :D ). Suck in the beginning, then turn it at the end of Nov (yes i know that the signing of Arnie and Nieds definitely helped to spark the team) but just don't count on the Avs being like this forever.

The signing of Arnott and Nieds was during the 00-01 season Njay. The crowd was cheering sign Arnott at the banner raising. Also i believe you are recapping the 00-01 season. And that win streak during that season i believe killed the mentallity of that team, and is the reason they did not win the cup that year. But i wont bore you all with my theories now.

No, SBT, I think it's a general perception around the league.

Being on the Avs makes a player appear 'better'. The same is true of the Wings, and to a lesser extent, the Devils.

I think it's the effect of Sakic and Forsberg, mostly.. I don't think the Avs wingers are that good, and I think maybe Lacroix might've expected too much out of guys like Vrbata, Reinprecht, and Tanguay.. the former two don't have the talent and i'm not sure Tanguay has the heart.

I also think Lacroix tossed away some depth at the forward position unnecessarily, like Ville Nieminen and Stephane Yelle.

Easy to second guess, though.. my criticisms of Lacroix sound a lot like someone who would be criticizing Lou a year ago at this time.

The signing of Arnott and Nieds was during the 00-01 season Njay. The crowd was cheering sign Arnott at the banner raising. Also i believe you are recapping the 00-01 season. And that win streak during that season i believe killed the mentallity of that team, and is the reason they did not win the cup that year. But i wont bore you all with my theories now.

oh crap, u are exactly right Sarge. Got my years confused. Oopies.

Poor Avs can't clutch and grab anymore :(

I watched NHL2Nite & that's actually what Engblom said. Well, among other stuff. Here's what he said:

The hurry-up face-off is hurting the Avs for 2 reasons, first they always liked to mill around, see who was out there & set up the play (apparently that was a big part of Hartley's strategy). And second, they would delay & delay to get their top guys some rest and they could have extra-long shifts. Now they have to go to the bench & get some rest like regular humans. Apparently, not only does it cut down on their ice time, but it hurts their flow (somehow I can't work up much sympathy here).

Then there's the clutching & grabbing...Engblom actually ADMITTED that the Avs did it as much as anyone else (that's right, head to your bomb shelters, the apocalyspe IS near). He claims the d-men got lazy & stopped doing things like reading the plays because the opposition was slowed down in the nuetral zone. So now they have to get used to doing it again and, (poor babies) the forwards aren't coming back to support them.

In case I didn't mention it before, I have no sympathy for these guys. Welcome to the brave new NHL - do your friggin' job, Blake & Co.

Someone on ESPN actually said something critical of the Avs?

Expect Engblom to be demoted sometime in the near future.

I think someone forgot to give Engblom his Avs-can-do-no-wrong pill today. I'm sure ESPN will take care of that oversight & give him a double dose ASAP.

The hurry-up face-off is hurting the Avs for 2 reasons, first they always liked to mill around, see who was out there & set up the play (apparently that was a big part of Hartley's strategy). And second, they would delay & delay to get their top guys some rest and they could have extra-long shifts. Now they have to go to the bench & get some rest like regular humans. Apparently, not only does it cut down on their ice time, but it hurts their flow (somehow I can't work up much sympathy here).

Then there's the clutching & grabbing...Engblom actually ADMITTED that the Avs did it as much as anyone else (that's right, head to your bomb shelters, the apocalyspe IS near). He claims the d-men got lazy & stopped doing things like reading the plays because the opposition was slowed down in the nuetral zone. So now they have to get used to doing it again and, (poor babies) the forwards aren't coming back to support them.

In case I didn't mention it before, I have no sympathy for these guys. Welcome to the brave new NHL - do your friggin' job, Blake & Co.

Oh this is too funny for words :lol:

The Rangers, Leafs AND Avs all struggling...and the Devils still at 8-4. Doesn't get much better than that at this point in the season :)

:blink: Wow! Could the Avs bad start be taking some of the rose coloring out of the glasses at ESPN?

Oh no...at least when I listened they were saying "WOW! that Nashville is a fast team" Like it was supposed to be a decent match up or something - maybe it was just my selective listening... The Avs looked baaad. Maybe they're just tired from playing too long in the playoffs two years in a row :P