More Scare Tactics From The Left

Jimmy Leeds

"The Republicans are gonna burn the black churches....................."

More positive campaigning from the left:

Kerry: Draft Likely to Return Under Bush

By MARY DALRYMPLE, Associated Press Writer

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites), citing the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and other trouble spots in the world, raised the possibility Wednesday that a military draft could be reinstated if voters re-elect President Bush (news - web sites).

Kerry said he would not bring back the draft and questioned how fairly it was administered in the past.

Answering a question about the draft that had been posed at a forum with voters, Kerry said: "If George Bush (news - web sites) were to be re-elected, given the way he has gone about this war and given his avoidance of responsibility in North Korea (news - web sites) and Iran and other places, is it possible? I can't tell you."

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and other Pentagon (news - web sites) officials have been asked numerous times whether they thought a draft would be necessary to maintain force levels in Iraq. They have said consistently that they think it is neither necessary nor desirable, since today's military is built on volunteer service and professionalism.

His voice scratchy and breaking from a cold, Kerry called the president's proposal to give workers partly private Social Security (news - web sites) accounts a windfall for financial companies and one that will cut benefits for senior citizens.

"He's driving seniors right out of the middle class," Kerry said in a battleground state rich with voters keenly watching the candidates talk about two pillars of retirement, Social Security and Medicare.

"I will never privatize Social Security, ever," Kerry said, repeating promises not to raise the retirement age or cut benefits.

Kerry's two-day swing through Florida, which began Tuesday, follows deadly hurricanes that nearly halted polling and politicking in the state. Bush made his third campaign-season trip to Florida this week to assess damage caused by Hurricane Ivan. Kerry has been to the state that decided the 2000 election nine times this year.

Kerry opened the town hall-style meeting about government benefits by repeating his charges that the president is divorced from realities in Iraq and ignoring the manhunt for terrorists in Afghanistan (news - web sites). "Osama bin Forgotten," Kerry said.

Noting that the campaign Tuesday night neared Disney's "fantasy land" in Orlando, Fla., Kerry said: "The difference between George Bush and me is that I drove by it. He lives in it."

Returning to seniors' issues, Kerry said Bush made life harder for seniors with a Medicare drug benefit that doesn't let the government bargain for lower costs.

Kerry also cited a study by Austan Goolsbee, a University of Chicago business professor and informal adviser to the Kerry campaign, to say the president's Social Security proposal will cost seniors.

Bush favors allowing young workers to create voluntary personal savings accounts with some of the money they now pay into the Social Security system, a change he insists will not increase payroll taxes or change benefits for retirees or near retirees.

Goolsbee examined one model that proposes workers set aside a small percentage of their pay in private accounts as a method to adjust Social Security to a rapidly graying population, concluding that fees charged by financial companies could reap them hundreds of billions of dollars and eat 20 percent of the benefits in an account held by a worker making an average salary.

The Bush-Cheney campaign said the study makes assumptions based on policy decisions not yet made and contended that Kerry hasn't explained how he'd meet the challenges posed to Social Security by aging Baby Boomers.

"His record is one of voting for higher taxes on current retirees and ignoring the needs of future retirees," said Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt.

Kerry wants to bolster the retirement program by reducing the deficit and expanding the economy. Some experts say economic growth might be insufficient to cover future benefits because those benefits grow as wages increase.

The Massachusetts senator also wants to improve Medicare by retooling the recently passed prescription drug benefit to let the government negotiate for bulk discounts on drugs.

___

Man, if we have Kerry working on social security I'll get so little when I retire. <_< . Good thing I'm saving up lots in my 401k and IRAs and starting earning, let the time horizon compound me into a millionare.

-Scott

Edited by Devils731

its unfair to call the democrats left. they are far from left. sure more left than the republicans but still far too right for me.

bush did actually try and bring back teh draft silently u know.

and republicans have more scare tactics than the democrats.

Bruins, Bush tried to bring back the draft by having Democrats submit bills to bring back the draft?  Who knew Bush had power over the Democratic party.

-Scott

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're absolutely right 731. I know it was a Democrat, I believe he is from Harlem who believes introducing such a bill will scare other congressmen and women away from war. It didn't work the first seemingly dozen times he tried it so he just keeps reintroducing it.

Then, of course, somebody on the internet pins it on Bush/the Republicans. Of course, they don't check their sources. Then it spreads, and spreads, until so many more people believe Bush started it than who actually started it. And of course, none of those people checked the source.

Bush had NOTHING to do with it.

Leeds, a quick question: do you honestly believe that every Democratic campaign tactic is a scare tactic and no Republican campaign tactic is a scare tactic?

We're talking about a desperate party here. Bush is up by 13%, according to Gallup. Kerry feels the loss already. Do you honestly believe that the Republicans wouldn't do the same?

What about Cheney saying the country wouldn't be safe under Kerry? That's not a scare tactic?

"It's absolutely essential that eight weeks from today, on Nov. 2, we make the right choice, because if we make the wrong choice then the danger is that we'll get hit again and we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States." - Vice President Dick Cheney

That must be an old poll. Wall Street Journal has it 50% to 47% with a 3% margin of error.

And things are looking up in the electoral college as the latest Rassmussen puts Kerry ahead in Florida.

Could someone explain what the difference is between a draft and a "selective service lottery"?

Selective Service Lottery

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Don, I only trust Gallup.

It is somewhat old, September 13-15, but I won't trust anybody else. They are consistently the closest predictors and always have been.

That must be an old poll. Wall Street Journal has it 50% to 47% with a 3% margin of error.

And things are looking up in the electoral college as the latest Rassmussen puts Kerry ahead in Florida.

Could someone explain what the difference is between a draft and a "selective service lottery"?

Selective Service Lottery

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don it is the same thing. They way it works is that when a male US citizen turns 18 he has to register with the selective services and is issued a number. At which point a draft is called they hold a lottery using those numbers to decide who gets drafted when. That website pretty much explains the rest.

Edited by Sarge18

Bruins, Bush tried to bring back the draft by having Democrats submit bills to bring back the draft?  Who knew Bush had power over the Democratic party.

-Scott

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

really? wow. the new article i read mentioned none of that. hmm it jsut simply said "stop bush from bringing back the draft" it went on to talk about how bush and cheyney and co were working on bringing back the draft without a lot of noise.

then again i'm not much of a democratic supporter either, which u should know by now.

Why hasn't 731, Jimmy, TK ... any of the staunch Republicans told me what the difference is between the draft and the Selective Service Lottery?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Sarge said it's the same thing, and I think he's right. I filled out my card at 18, but that didn't mean anything happened.

Why hasn't 731, Jimmy, TK ... any of the staunch Republicans told me what the difference is between the draft and the Selective Service Lottery?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And why the fvck should we tell u what it means... go look it up yourself

I already did!! I posted a link in the last message. I'm saying that I don't understand what the difference is. I looked it up on the internet, read the article and am saying that I don<t understand what the difference is.

So by the fact I'm a little more conservative leaning than liberal leaning I'm supposed to know every nuance about the draft? The difference to me looks like they call it a lottery so everyone knows its completely random within your own age group, happy now? I really don't know what you're getting at though.

-Scott

I'm pretty sure they are one and the same. Maybe in the past it was exclusively called "the draft" so they stuck a prettier name on it. Or maybe the draft employs the secret service lottery, meaning the lottery is just a tool of the draft. Either way, I think they are basically the same thing.

...but why ask the conservatives about it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.