Start Schwab

Jimmy Leeds

I don't think it's so ridiculous.

I mean, I'd prefer that he starts one of the two back-to-back games against the Canadiens.

But logically, Marty is fresh tonight from yet another two day layoff and he ALWAYS gets up for games in Montreal.

There's pretty good reasoning behind it.

Burns said in Star Ledger that Marty would start both games.

Here is statement form Star Ledger:

" Burns said "unless something happens" tonight, Brodeur will play both games against Montreal. That would give him 15 straight starts, four short of his total at the beginning of last season."

The Devs signed Schwab because he proved last year that he can play, and play well. He should play every 4th or 5th game, IMO, no matter the opponent. Marty hates sitting I know, but do we need Marty to play 70/72 games in a year pre playoffs?

Start 64 games and be there for the tourney.

Brodeur can handle it.

Schwab should play 12-15 games. Every back to back, one game of a 3 in 4 night set, Schwab should play.. and maybe the odd game against a lower tier team.

Again, his playing recently is just as "strenuous" as if he were playing in the playoffs.. and no one would want to sit Brodeur for a playoff game, would they?

I also don't see what the outcry is about

1. Marty is a workhorse, he's 29 years old, and he loves to play. He's one of the 2 or 3 elite goaltenders in the league.

2. It is very early in a season after we were eliminated in the first round, in other words, Marty hasn't been playing that long, and he had a lot of rest

3. Do you really think that a few extra games in November will affect his playoff performance?

4. We need to rack up points early in the season, and Marty always gives us our best chance to win

Nikolai Khabibulin is another Goaltender that absolutely hates sitting. Tampa Bay took him out for the second half of a back-to-back and we beat them 5-1.

There is no reason for Marty to play both games. NONE.

Marty does look tired, that first goal in the Anahiem reminded me of last October when he was letting in weak shots from the blueline.

Schwab is capable and may even put a little more scare into the forwards to score without the safety net of #30 being back there.

Perhaps Schwab would get some playing time if Burns could count on the offense scoring goals on a regular basis. Brodeur in net is the best chance for the Devils to win.

Still, Schwab has to be thrown to the wolves some time...

Now lets whoop some Canadian bacon! ^_^

Gee, maybe they signed Schwab to be backup goalie? And not to have Clemmensen as backup, a guy with no NHL experience?

How does this prove Brodeur calls the shots?

Whoever said that "I hoped Schwab would start, but I'm not too angry if he doesn't", I agree with. Brodeur gives the Devils the best opportunity to take 4 points away from the Habs. If he plays a 3 games in 4 night set, I will start to be annoyed with Burns. But right now, I like the way Snrub thinks.

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS SAYING THE OTHER NIGHT WHEN MARTY WAS IN NET AGAINST ANAHEIM!!!! I was being told come on the schedule hasnt been grueling come on MArty will sit one of the back to backers against Montreal. COme on Marty gives us the best shot at winning.

Now I will say it again, anybody look at the standings today????? Yeah we are 9-4 right?? Yeah not too bad a record right?? We are tied with like 5 other teams with 18 points for the 5th seed!!! Can anybody honestly say MArty needs to start all these games?? Give me a break!! When the games are crucial, and have alot of meaning, like in LAte January and February and teams are tightening up and getting ready for playoff positioning, this guy will be TIRED. HE is going to play 75 games this yr. You can count on it. And that is ridiculous!! I love the guy I think he is a great goalie, but he will wear down, and when we need him to be STRONG, or at his strongest, he wont be!

This is where Burns needs to be the "Coach of the YEar" that he has won in the past, and step in and say "MArty, I know you love playing Montreal, and I know you feel strong, but you sit either tonight or tomorrow, make your choice"!!!

Enough said.

Yeah we may win both, and I am praying we do, but man if this guy burns out, it will haunt us come March!!!!