• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finland looks good even though they are down. My predictions stand:

Czechs

Canada

Finland

Before the tourney these picks looks crazy....starting to seem more realistic now.

You got 2 of the 3 medalists. You get any points for that?

Ok... I'll take my shot at All-Tourney:

D- Phaneuf and Suter

C- Bergeron

W- Crosby

W- Ovechkin

G- Glass

Others who deserve consideration:

Olesz

Vrana

Getzlaf

Carter

Malkin

Shirokov

Stafford (by far best US player)

Schwarz

I wasn't all that impressed with Crosby. Sure he piled up the points vs the weaker teams, but he was almost invisible against Finland, Czechs and Russia. And he blew a LOT of chances where he was set up beautifully.

I wasn't all that impressed with Crosby. Sure he piled up the points vs the weaker teams, but he was almost invisible against Finland, Czechs and Russia. And he blew a LOT of chances where he was set up beautifully.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree don, a similar thing happened last year also. He had a great chance on montoya, but semi screwedup/greatsave by montoya.

Bergeron carried that line :D

I wish stewart would have been better....o well.

Olesz played one hell of a tourney, but ovechkin, bergeron, and carter will get nods ahead. Getzlaf was outstanding when in it mattered most and he also desereves some kind of nod. I hope schwarz wins the goalie thing, but sometimes they are dumb and give the winner of the tourney the all-star, but the goalie award to another. example in 2002, kari lehotnen won the goalie award, but leclaire won the all-star wtf?

Anyways, Personally here is my team

olesz-yes i'm a homer :P

bergeron

carter

weber-phaneuf

schwarz

Yeah i picked guys on all of my teams except phaneuf, and schwarz is one of my favorite goalies....but so what :P

Wtf... Ovechkin named player of the tournament? LOL... good. Boo him!  Boo him!!!!!!!!!!!!

He deserves that.

Getzlaf player of the game for Canada.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bergeron was named tournament MVP while Phaneuf was chosen the top defenceman.
From TSN.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also from tsn

"Russian Alexander Ovechkin, who hurt his right shoulder in the final, was the tournament's top forward and an all-star."

wtf?

This is without a doubt one of the best threads in a long time, cause we've all been in pain with this damn lockout. Great idea and thanks to derek for this thread. And everybody else who contributed.

Thanks and your welcome :). I thought it would be a nice idea considering that we don't have much else to get excited about when it comes to hockey. And it featured a lot of top prospects and was fun to follow.

I wonder if this thread will go down in history.

I really wish Stafford could have made the team. I thought he was great and the most consistent player on USA. He really played well.

Oh well. Just too many guys to consider i guess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This year 2 all-star teams would have been great.

first all-star

bergeron-olesz-carter

weber-phaneuf

schwarz

robocop-stafford-getzlaf

(bleh i dunno)-suter

glass

WOW that was fun. I reccomend everyone try to come out to a WJC at least once.

When it was clear Ovechkin's night was done we started riding him hard (he stayed on the bench with his helmet off). A guy sitting behind us snuck in an electronic megaphone and was giving it to him good. A very large Russian guy asked him to stop which prompted "Ohhh Ovechkin's lover. Surprise, surprise, it's a guy" .

Derek, you have to be disappointed with Montoya. He had a better game against the Czech's but for the tournament he was a disaster. 6th overall for him? Yuck.

The US team had no finishers. Kessel is going to be a real player. He was very impressive for the Americans. Although some of that has to do with coaching, an area where the US team certainly lacked this year.

The dispapointing thing for me was that so few of the games were close. Most of them were blowouts one way or the other.

I will mis seeing live hockey, but certainly not the balmy ND weather. It is -29 F right now. The windchill drops it to -44.

Derek, you have to be disappointed with Montoya. He had a better game against the Czech's but for the tournament he was a disaster. 6th overall for him? Yuck.

Disappointed, not really. I kind of expected him to fall down this year because of the pressure. A lot of weight was put on his shoulders. The team wasn't as good this year. Did Al play bad? Yes. But most of the poor games were early on. I thought he got better the last three. Unfortunately for him, against Russia, his team was badly outplayed.

We have to remember that these are kids. Some will struggle. I wasn't going to brag if he stood on his head. It would have been nice. But it also wouldn't mean anything five years from now. These players are all going to develop and mature. It's in the future that we'll find out if they were the right choices.

In other words, I'm not panicking. Al needs to get in and see our goalie coach. He was flopping a lot which means he had a positioning issue. He's struggled also with Michigan this year. My hope is Allaire can work with him when they get Al signed for Hartford next fall. If he's still fighting the puck in a couple of years, then I'll be worried.

Glad you had a good time. I can see how it would be fun to attend. On the whole Ovechkin thing, he brought it on himself. He acted like a punk. So, as much as I don't like when fans torment players, Ovechkin got what he deserved. I'm glad he's not on my team.

I'll take gritty players like Callahan and Dawes anyday over primadonas like Ovechkin.

Here's the final boxscore. Congrats to the gold medal winners, Canada, who take it in convincing fashion:

01/04/2005

1st 2nd 3rd Total

CAN 2 4 0 6

RUS 1 0 0 1

Rink: Ralph Engelstad Arena

Surface: ICE

Attendance: 11862

Game summary

First Period

1-CAN : Ryan Getzlaf (3) 00:51

(Carter, Ladd)

2-CAN : Danny Syvret (PP) (1) 08:00

(Coburn, Bergeron)

3-RUS : Alexei Emelin (PP) (1) 19:28

(Shafigulin, Galimov)

Penalties:

02:11 - CAN: Corey Perry (24) - 2:00 Interference

02:59 - CAN: Shea Weber (6) - 2:00 Tripping

06:23 - RUS: Denis Parshin (27) - 2:00 Slashing

11:50 - CAN: Andrew Ladd (19) - 2:00 Cross Checking

17:48 - CAN: Braydon Coburn (29) - 2:00 Hooking

Second Period

4-CAN : Jeff Carter (7) 03:33

(Ladd, Getzlaf)

5-CAN : Patrice Bergeron (PP) (5) 07:53

(Perry, Crosby)

6-CAN : Anthony Stewart (3) 08:54

(Dawes, Richards)

7-CAN : Dion Phaneuf (PP) (1) 13:19

(Getzlaf, Carter)

Penalties:

04:35 - CAN: Team Penalty (0) - 2:00 Too many men

06:20 - RUS: Grigori Shafigulin (19) - 2:00 Charging

13:08 - RUS: Alexei Emelin (20) - 2:00 Kneeing

13:19 - RUS: Dimitri Vorobiev (6) - 5:00 High Sticking

13:19 - RUS: Dimitri Vorobiev (6) - 20:00 Game Misconduct

19:20 - CAN: Clarke MacArthur (17) - 2:00 Charging

Third Period

No goal

Penalties:

14:25 - CAN: Braydon Coburn (29) - 2:00 Holding

Shots on goal:

CAN: 13-15-4 (32)

RUS: 7-2-8 (17)

Power-play conversions

CAN: 3/4

RUS: 1/7

Goaltenders

RUS: Andrei Kuznetsov 7 SV, 36:26 min

RUS: Anton Khudobin 19 SV, 23:33 min (L)

CAN: Jeff Glass 18 SV, 60 min (W)

Officials

Kevin Redding, Juha Kautto, David Hansen ®,

Team record

CAN: 6-0-0-0

RUS: 4-2-0-0

CAN:

Carter- goal (7) and 2 assists

Getzlaf- goal and 2 assists: 2nd in points (12) and first in plus/minus (14)

Ladd- 2 assists

Bergeron- 2 points (1-1-2): finished with tournament best 13 points (5-8-13)

3-4 PP

Glass, 1 GA, 18 saves

Outscored opponents 38-6 enroute to a perfect 6-0 record to take gold medal

RUS:

Emelin- PP goal

Shafigulin and Galimov- assist each

1-7 PP

Khudobin, 3 GA, 19 saves in 24 mins

Kuznetsov, 3 GA, 7 saves in 36 mins

Ovechkin left game after 2nd with injury: named best forward finishing 3rd in points (7-4-11)

Took silver medal finishing 4-2

No change in heart for Olesz.....you still have to give him his dues for putting the puck in the net. I just don't think he plays strong enough. Weber was throwing him around like a rag doll. He does make good of his opportunities though and thats the reason he made my team. Don't think for one second having Vrana on his line meant nothing. They complimented each other.

I wanted the Rangers to take either Tukonen or Olesz. But they of course didn't. Part of that might have been because this was a weak draft and part of it was probably because of Blackburn.

Tukonen struggled in the WJC. But Olesz didn't.

Oh well.

I wanted the Rangers to take either Tukonen or Olesz. But they of course didn't. Part of that might have been because this was a weak draft and part of it was probably because of Blackburn.

Tukonen struggled in the WJC. But Olesz didn't.

Oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, turkonen struggled, which was kinda disheartening for me. Cause i rate him ultra high...I was so happy the kings got him, i guess he might be one of those guy's who hit his celing early and might not be more than a 3rd liner...rather than the powerforward 1st liner i though....*sigh*

Oh, one other point I wanted to make. Team USA was on my flight from Grand Forks back to Minneapolis (they were really nice, they all signed my Team USA jersey). They all flew coach except Robbie Schremp who went first class.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Petey my friend, you are one lucky bastard.

This was an article published before the gold medal game...

Runners know how vexing Russians can be

Stoll, Torres hope juniors win their gold

Jarret Stoll and Raffi Torres have long memories and, frankly, they think there's too much mustard in the Russian juniors' game.

They'd relish a Canadian gold medal tonight against Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeny Malkin -- the two top picks in the 2004 draft -- and the other Russians at the world junior final in North Dakota.

They don't like the hotdog stuff the Russians have pulled and they know about Ovechkin and Malking taunting the U.S. bench Sunday in the semifinal after empty-net goals.

"I still remember (Ilya) Kovalchuk burying us with his goal in Moscow in 2001, and seeing all that crap he was pulling on the ice after he scored on us," recalled Torres, the Oilers winger playing with the Road Runners during the NHL lockout.

"I was on the bench at the time and man, I almost lost it after seeing Kovalchuk."

Kovalchuk was pumping his arms as he skated in with the puck on an empty Canadian net, with every Team Canada player taking his number to try paying him back when they met again in the NHL.

Stoll, who's also playing for the Road Runners after spending last season with the Oilers, played with Torres in Moscow and the next year in the Czech Republic.

In the Czech Republic, Russian Alexander Svitov spit on Canadian Brian Sutherby in a round-robin game, which turned things ugly.

"We almost got in a fight with the Russian players in the elevator at the tournament hotel in Czech (Republic) the day before the final," said Stoll.

"There were about 10 of us going down and it stopped on a floor and they wanted to get on. They kept pressing the button every time the door closed and the door would open.

"One of our guys had an ice pack on so we started chucking ice. They tried to get on the elevator and there was some pushing and shoving before things cooled down."

Stoll still can't believe the gall fo Svitov spitting at Sutherby, the Washington Capitals' farmhand, in a round-robin game.

"I'd like to get back at him, too," said Stoll.

Ovechkin, the first pick last June by the same Caps, is a huge talent. The 19-year-old winger doesn't have Kovalchuk's irkability, but he's got the same showboat in him.

"Before every period he comes bolting out of the dressing room and skates to the other team's end and sticks his stick into the other team's net," said Scott Howson, the Oilers assistant general manager.

"I know (U.S. goalie Al) Montoya was mad at him. And Ovechkin did skate by the U.S. bench after scoring. So did Malkin."

Forward Segei Shirokov also likes to stick his hand up to his ear after scoring to see how the crowd's taking it.

Gone are the days of the reserved, dour Russians.

"They have passion when they play for their country," said Howson.