Rats talent

vadvlfan

Anyone else out ther beginning to believe all this "talent" isn't as talented as folks think? There are some bright spots (Zack, Voros (maybe) & Suglobov) No one else has stepped up to the table. A few can hang in there barely (Pihlman/Pikarainen) and others dont belong in this league. Ahonen has had time to put up or shut up. Folks, he is not the next Martaan.

Bottom line is after two abyssmal seasons, do you think maybe lou & co. (scouts) have realized some on this roster aren't all that talented and wont pan out.

Most have had ample time to show something.

Vince

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I do still place a bit of blame on the D for our abysmal goals allowed, I'm starting to wonder what the deal is with Ahonen. It just doesn't seem he's in our future anymore, and I think we may have hurt him by holding him back so long. I don't see many Rats games, however, so you can't really take my word on this but I worry about Ari's future, not only with the club but in the NHL in general.

Without Hale, their D isn't that good. They really don't possess any other top D prospects.

Ahonen is definitely running out of time. The Devils drafted a goalie last year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least Martin appears to be the real deal, though. I'm very happy with the way he's developed, especially spending the season with the big club. Other than he and Hale, it looks pretty grim.

Without Hale, their D isn't that good. They really don't possess any other top D prospects.

Ahonen is definitely running out of time. The Devils drafted a goalie last year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least Martin appears to be the real deal, though. I'm very happy with the way he's developed, especially spending the season with the big club. Other than he and Hale, it looks pretty grim.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't call Martin or Hale prospects anymore. I was really hoping Kadeykin could pull through his horrid season but he appears to be a bust. I was hoping that Lou and co. would draft Mike Green last year, but they took Zajac who wasn't a poor pick, but didn't address a need within the organization.

I agree, neither Hale nor Martin are "prospects" anymore, but at least they are both very young and very talented. It's going to hurt to lose both Stevens and Niedermayer, but at least rather than saying that a guy like Kadeykin is our only shot (which would be pretty sad, seeing as he doesn't appear to be panning out thusfar), we DO have Martin and Hale who hopefully will only get better as time progresses.

In term of defense, it is sounding as if DeMarchi is finally rounding into form. But that is only an assumption gained from his +/-. Its like a +3 or something like that (don't really know).

What is really frustrating about Foster's injuries is that the few times he's been healthy he's been a contributor if not a force. It appears as if he's a player.

I hate to sound like I'm saying, "Told you so," but I've been telling people for years that the future of the Devils is very bleak, and that these teams are the Devils of the next 5-10 years.

I definitely wouldn't consider Hale a prospect anymore, he has a full year of NHL action behind him already. It's a shame he got sick like he has this year, because our D could really use the help.

DeMarchi has been making a bunch of mistakes lately. Whether this is just a slump or if he's actually reversing in his development, I don't know, I guess we'll find that out by the end of the year.

Ahonen is being hurt by being behind this team for the past 4 or so years. Not winning hurts just as much as not playing and not being given the chance to improve his skills. I still think he can turn it around and be a good NHL goalie because the skills are still there. I just don't think he can do much else with the Rats as they are now.

I just don't think he can do much else with the Rats as they are now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly the problem. There's no room for growth for Ahonen anymore. You're 100% correct -- not winning is going to take its toll eventually, especially when it's year after year of poor performance in the standings. If the future is dim for the Devils and Rats, then the future may very well be dim for Ari; without that growth, he may never be able to fine-tune those skills we all KNOW he has. He's a VERY good goalie, but at this rate playing on the Rats is killing him. Problem is, he can't move up to the NHL level because there is no NHL right now...and even if he could, he wouldn't play anyway because who we already have, a chubby guy by the name of Martin Brodeur. Maybe a catch 22, eh? :doh1:

While I do still place a bit of blame on the D for our abysmal goals allowed, I'm starting to wonder what the deal is with Ahonen. It just doesn't seem he's in our future anymore, and I think we may have hurt him by holding him back so long. I don't see many Rats games, however, so you can't really take my word on this but I worry about Ari's future, not only with the club but in the NHL in general.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point. However, why would you bring someone up @ all unless he's proven himself in the minor's. If he hasn't proven to be a good back-up, why would playing him in the NHL improve his game.

All in all, we have had solid drafting in the past, the latest crop of prospects seem to be more hype than substance.

I really hope this team can turn it around, but I'm not holding my breath.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point. However, why would you bring someone up @ all unless he's proven himself in the minor's. If he hasn't proven to be a good back-up, why would playing him in the NHL improve his game.

All in all, we have had solid drafting in the past, the latest crop of prospects seem to be more hype than substance.

I really hope this team can turn it around, but I'm not holding my breath.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, vadvlfan. As I mentioned in my previous post, it seems like somewhat of a catch 22. Whatever we do won't appear to work anyway. I'm not really sure what to think, and as you say -- I'm not going to hold my breath hoping this team will turn it around. Of course I would love to see it happen, but I do really believe a player like Ari Ahonen does not have much room for growth at this stage of the game.

Well 'some' of the Devil prospects are still in college anyway. As noted, a couple are already with the big team. And I'm far more worried about the NHL future than the Devils' right now :P Although I will say that I'd be more worried about the lack of defense than the lack of forwards or goalies since Marty's still good for several more years in goal and the forwards we currently have are mostly under 30, while the defense will probably lose Stevens and Nieds in the next year, and now Hale's a bit of a question mark with all of these kidney problems.

Edited by Hasan4978

We have plenty of talentin our system. The problem with Albany is that it has no defense. Without defense no team is going to compete. As bad as it may sound for Albany fans, the Devils care about developing prospects first, then winning. If Lou wanted to win he would do what many other AHL teams do, stock pile with vetrens and give their younger player little to no ice time. Thats why teams like Toronto and Pittsburgh can't develop their talent.

These 4 are the prospects I am the most excited with.

Zach Parise - Top notch prospect, not as good a finisher as many thought. Should be good to become a Mike York type player.

Aleksander Suglobov - He is one of the most dangerous players in the AHL when he is on his game and giving a good effort.

Travis Zajac - He has the best allround game out of any of our prospects and will be a better pro player then Parise. Yes I said better.

Petr Vrana - Isn't doing much in the QMJHL but his rookie year and WJC this year has shown what he is capable of. Great all round player.

Underated Prospects

Josh Disher - Amzingly quick feet, getting better at a torrid pace. MVP of Erie the past two years, only reason why they are considered a team.

Zach Tarkir - Like Disher Tarkir is improving constantly. He is a relentless worker who knows the game well. See how good he is in 3 years.

Barry Tallackson - Some take for granted the steps he has taken this year in his allround game. He is useing his size very well, "WILL" be a better pro then collegiate player.

Andrei Posnov - Nobody really cares about this guy, he just continues to float around the RSL for all these years. Will be a great 4th line pest.

The Devils future is no in trouble considering Gionta, Gomez, Langenbrunner, Elias, Friesen, Rasmussen, Hrdina, Bicek and Kozlov are all under the age of 30 up front. Hale, Martin, Brown and White are all under the age of 30 on the blueline.

I'm really liking martin. That guy might win a norris one day. I remeber one flyers game where esche stood on his head and the flyers won 2-1 and martin logged more minutes than anyone outside of niedermayer. He was sooooo good. Controlling play with the puck and playing the man. Nothing extremely amazing like, bouwmeester skill rush amazing, but very solid and strong. I didn't see him at the world cup much though sadly....

Edited by bruins4777

Parise - 20 (1st year pro)

Khomutov - 19 (1st year pro)

Suglobov 23 (2nd year pro)

Pikkarainen - 23 (2nd year pro)

Pihlman - 22 (2nd year pro)

Voros - 23 (1st year pro)

Janssen - 20 (1st year pro)

Clouthier - 23 (3rd year pro)

Nittel - 21 (2nd year pro)

Johansson - 23 (2nd year pro)

Foster - 23 (2nd year pro)

Rheaume - 31

McAmmond - 31

Murphy - 25 (2nd year pro)

I'm really liking martin. That guy might win a norris one day. I remeber one flyers game where esche stood on his head and the flyers won 2-1 and martin logged more minutes than anyone outside of niedermayer. He was sooooo good. Controlling play with the puck and playing the man. Nothing extremely amazing like, bouwmeester skill rush amazing, but very solid and strong. I didn't see him at the world cup much though sadly....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He ended up being one of the americans best defensmen.

I hate to sound like I'm saying, "Told you so," but I've been telling people for years that the future of the Devils is very bleak, and that these teams are the Devils of the next 5-10 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't say that, not all of the Devils prospects reside in the AHL. The problem is most of the talented prospects are centers. They don't have any depth on the blueline, and they have some on the wings. Don't forget, Lou always could trade for a defenseman, he won't tear the team apart and build from scratch.

Edited by MissionHockey

Eckford is still playing in a second-tier junior league. The last guy we drafted like that was Max Birbraer.

Not many players end up making it to the NHL who take 3 years to break out in the A. What we seem to be lacking is depth on the wings; Pihlman looks like he will not make it to the NHL, Pikkarainen neither, and Suglobov will be hit or miss. We don't have any two way solid prospects on the wing right now.

Devils have the best gm and scout in the league, you guys worry too much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen.

Lou knows what he's doing.

I've always felt Ahonen was kindoff overated. I've never seen him play mind you, but his numbers are so brutal. In comparison with Clemenson he's doing worse. I'm glad to see that someone else has taken notice of Josh Disher. He looks like he may turn out to be a decent goalie someday.

Ahonen not the real deal??? Ths cannot be!!! When it was suggested last year and the year before to trade ( at that time) one of the highest rated goalies in the AHL....many experts from this board saud we were crazy Ahonen was going to be the next Broduer.....

So there is NO way you can tell me is not "IT" anymore... becuase I was told that I was an idiot for wanting totrade a propect ( so what if he was going to play behind marty for 10 years he was the NEXT MARTY).

Ahonen not the real deal???  Ths cannot be!!!  When it was suggested last year and the year before to trade ( at that time) one of the highest rated goalies in the AHL....many experts from this board saud we were crazy Ahonen was going to be the next Broduer.....

So there is NO way you can tell me is not "IT" anymore... becuase I was told that I was an idiot for wanting totrade a propect ( so what if he was going to play behind marty for 10 years he was the NEXT MARTY).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry but it was still stupid. You just dont trade goaltender prospects. Their trade value is never high and the risk you have with them usually outweight the rewards you would get in a trade. People who gave up on Ahonen now are still stupid. Stats in a minor league mean sh!t all. I remember Brodeur with overa 4 GAA in his one year in the AHL. Ahonen's confidence is at an alltime low but there was periods last year where Ahonen was almost unbeatable. I think he could be an NHL goaltender at the moment. I'm sure he wouldn't be peppered as bad in the NHL as he is in the AHL.