NHL SEASON OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

PeteyNice

So lets use the NHL's 42 mil cap number and then include the NHLPA's 10% overage with a 150% tax on that overage but make the overage available every year. I really think the sides are too close not to make this happen today considering the rate of giving in both have been going through.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McKenzie's logic is stupid, everyone knows not every team is going to go up to the cap.

He's also a fool for believing that Bettman made his final offer. If that is true, he's an idiot. How can you make a final offer, ever, in negotiation, and expect someone to accept it? Final offers were meant to be broken.

Offer 45 and be done with it. If the PA doesn't accept 45, it's their fault. But the owners can't be stupid here, they can live with losing an extra 2 million a season if that's what it comes down to.

Offer 45 and be done with it.  If the PA doesn't accept 45, it's their fault.  But the owners can't be stupid here, they can live with losing an extra 2 million a season if that's what it comes down to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

45 mil, that seems to be the magic number on everyone's mind. Let's hope it's on Bettman's.

There is a huge gap here. The NHL proposed a $42.5 million hard cap vs. the NHLPA proposal of a $49 million soft cap that could be as much as $53.9 million depending on the circumstances.

If Goodenow was serious about saving the season, he would've come back with a "soft" cap below Bettman's 42.5, and his "circumstantial" cap would've been in the 45 mil range. JMHO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. If the league comes off of their final offer I bet they don't go above 44. I have no problem with them sticking at 42.5 and canceling the season if that is what it takes. I fear that any soft cap or higher number may get us through this year but the problem will be when new contracts come up. The 24% roll back will quickly evaporate.

Contraction won't happen for the reasons people have stated above regarding the owners of those teams. The buy outs of those teams will evaporate any cost savings from the roll-back.

I have an idea, let the PA take over the Pittsburgh team. Let that jackhole Goodenow run a team, negotiate salaries and watch the cash drain from the union's war chest.

The rollback won't evaporate with a cap at 42.5 or 45. That's why it'll work. Guys like Yashin and Guerin getting 9 million will only be getting 7 million, and that's what the elite players will be paid from now on. Remember, there will be 12 teams up against the cap already, and eighteen who probably won't get there. You'll see a lot less long-term deals because teams are going to need room to manuever.

Still say these last minute efforts are just so each side can blame the other over the summer.

The owners do not have to cave. Just like NHL players took AHL jobs, there are plenty of AHL and IHL players who will play in the 'new' NHL. If you don't think so, look at the examples the NFL and MLB set. Players need owners more then the other way around.

Players announced press conference at 4pm.... looks like we are done.

They ar enot doing that to say they have agreed.

It will be their rebuttal of whatever Bettman says.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goodenow just moved up the queen and said "Check"...Bettman, block the king with the pawns!!!!

You are dreaming, 7.  No teams will be 'going under' as a result of either proposal:  there IS REVENUE SHARING INVOLVED.  I don't think you understand negotiation either.

smelly, 45 million isn't ideal.  I think the league would've liked the number to be around 39 million and who knows, they may not budge off 42.5 (which is really 40.5).  It's not a complete win for the owners, especially in light of the fact that the players will still get paid and the owners are going to take it in the face for years to come as a result of this lockout.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tri, the 42.5 isn't really 40.5, as far as I know. It doesn't include benefits. As far as I understand it the 42.5 is the salaries, and only the salaries. Each team can then spend an additional 2.0 million for benefits & such. That gets possible spending per team up to 44.5 million.

I'd like to see them play as well. But I have a bad feeling that it is all too late now.

Tri, the 42.5 isn't really 40.5, as far as I know.  It doesn't include benefits.  As far as I understand it the 42.5 is the salaries, and only the salaries.  Each team can then spend an additional 2.0 million for benefits & such.  That gets possible spending per team up to 44.5 million.

I'd like to see them play as well.  But I have a bad feeling that it is all too late now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, 42.5 for salaries, 2.2 extra for benefits, total NHL offer is 44.7

seriously I was mad last week when i thought the season was dead... but getting my hopes up w/ all the positioning the last 2 days just to cancel the season anyway... I'll be twiced as pissed....

Look slik eits back to MLB...becuase if this season ends today .... I'm DONE!!! I may... MAY remain a casual fan... but thats it...

seriously I was mad last week when i thought the season was dead...  but getting my hopes up w/ all the positioning the last 2 days just to cancel the season anyway...  I'll be twiced as pissed.... 

Look slik eits back to MLB...becuase if this season ends today .... I'm DONE!!!  I may... MAY remain a casual fan...  but thats it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking that way too, about just being a csual fan...but yet I am still a big MLB fan and they lost a WORLD SERIES and playoffs which is basically the season...and yet I cane back...granted the NHL may lose the season and playoffs, but realistically why wouldnt I come back if I still watch baseball?

Most of us will be back for that very reason. The answer is "Why not?" Yah it sucks royaly if we loose a season, but as Gretzkey said recently, this needs to get done. If the NHL wants to survive, all 30 clubs, we need this cap. And if you go much higher than 42.5 (plus 2.2 for player benefits), then it almost becomes pointless. Still, something is better than nothing.

Edited by njdevils_info

Goodenow needs to answer by 11, Gary holds a press conference at 1, I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

answer what? it was Goodenow who made the latest offer at 49 mil, now Gary has o try and meet him in the middle somewhere.

something has to be done, otherwise EVERYBODY LOSES

the players lose because the cap would have to come down

bettman loses since it would pretty much guarantee the contraction of more teams than he stands to lose with a 44-46mil cap. the league would be in financial ruin.

Well there is the difference...

Ican honestly say I have not watch a compete ining of regular season baseball since they cancelled the world series...

and most i have watched is 2 full ining on 1 game of playoff baseball.

Oh, I misunderstood you, I thought you stayed a baseball fan...my mistake there....

2 press conferences so they can both declare victory, or both blame each other.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably..

But there is no reason why the PC's cannot be pushed back...its not like we have waited to hear about the fate of the NHL season that long, have we? (Sarcasm off) :D

Edited by Legend Of the Clown Banner

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.