Best And Worst Devils Trades?

devilsrule33

Unfortunately most of my Devils knowledge only goes back about a decade; who was it that we traded Sylvain Turgeon for, Lemieux or Richer? I think it was Richer, but either way that was another pretty good deal to add to the list, though I'd agree the Nieds deal was probably the best and the Brylin under the table arrangement not too far behind.

Worst deal: The one I personally had the most distaste for (even after winning the Cup and even though Souray's not been healthy in Montreal) was the Malacough deal; three guys for a rental floater and malcontent. Here's another less-talked about candidate: Terreri for nothing but what, future considerations in '96 leaving us without a proven backup goalie and costing us a playoff berth.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We got Chambers from the Bolts back in 95. He wasn't traded to the Stars, rather he left as a free agent. And yea, it was Bodger and Dody Wood we got in the Maclean deal. Had Johnny Mac not gone public with his trade demand, Lou probably could have swung a better deal.

Has, I'm pretty sure it was Lemieux we got in the Turgeon trade. We got Richer and Chorske in the Muller deal with Montreal.

The Richer for Odelien deal stung me at the time, but as much as people won't admit it, Odelien played some good defense for the Devs until the 99-2000 season.

The Gilmour deal looks bad now, but at the time it had to be done.

I still think that the Malakhov deal goes down as one of Lou's most underrated, simply because I don't see the Devs winning in 2000 without him. However, Lou bringing back Claude is still my favorite deal, even though he left in 2001. It gave me one last season to see old #22 in a Devs sweater, and thankfully lift the Cup as a Devil again.

how about Tom Kurvers to Toronto for a draft pick that would turn out to be Scott Niedermayer.

yeah this has to be one of the best ones

for alot of that year the Leafs were in last place and the Devils almost got teh 1st overall pick which ended up going to Quebec who chose Lindross

The Morrisson for Mogilny thing realy stings now becaese AlMoe was allowed to walk for zilcho while BreMoe is now lighting it up.

Also, in the Lemeiux for Rolston, let;s not forget Lamoiello also got a decent draft pick back in addition to Cuade.

WIth who BFett?

If that's true it is a great piece of Devil's History!!!

Great Post!

The Devs held the #11 overlal pick in the 1990 draft.

Teh Calgary Flames held teh #20 pick.

The flames wanted to draf a goalie named Trevor Kidd :huh: , but they did not think he would be around anymore when they got to their pick at #20.

So the Devils and Flames agreed to swap first round slots. The Devs gave the Flames their #11 spot and they took the Flames #20 spot. I guess the Devils felt that the guy they wanted, Martin Brodeur, would still be around at #20. The rest is histiry.

So yeah, the Flames actually traded up to get Kidd and passed on Marty.

Some other interesting names that got drafted that year after the infamous Trevor Kidd: Turner Stevenson at #12(Mont. from St. Louis), Keith Thacuk at #19(Wpg. from Buf.), Bryan Smolinski at #21(Bos.), Felix Potvin at #31(Tor.), Doug Weight at #34(NYR), and Geoff Sanderson at #36(Hfd.).

The flames wanted to draf a goalie named Trevor Kidd :huh: , but they did not think he would be around anymore when they got to their pick at #20.

So the Devils and Flames agreed to swap first round slots. The Devs gave the Flames their #11 spot and they took the Flames #20 spot.

What did the Devils get for swapping?

So the Devils and Flames agreed to swap first round slots. The Devs gave the Flames their #11 spot and they took the Flames #20 spot.

What did the Devils get for swapping?

Good question. This I'm not too sure about.

Cash maybe?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

The Devs held the #11 overlal pick in the 1990 draft.

Teh Calgary Flames held teh #20 pick.

So the Devils and Flames agreed to swap first round slots. The Devs gave the Flames their #11 spot and they took the Flames #20 spot. I guess the Devils felt that the guy they wanted, Martin Brodeur, would still be around at #20. The rest is histiry.

So yeah, the Flames actually traded up to get Kidd and passed on Marty.

At the time, Kidd was rated the #1 goaltender available in the draft. There was a poll of 20 scouts in The Hockey News. 19 said that Kidd was the better of the two goaltenders. One unnamed scout said Brodeur was better. I'll bet that one scout was David Conte. If true, the Devils made out in the deal because they weren't going to draft Kidd anyway!! :lol:

how about Tom Kurvers to Toronto for a draft pick that would turn out to be Scott Niedermayer.

yeah this has to be one of the best ones

for alot of that year the Leafs were in last place and the Devils almost got teh 1st overall pick which ended up going to Quebec who chose Lindross

I think we missed getting Lindros by 2-3 points. Instead of hating the guy, half of you would have 88 jerseys.

truth be told, i'm not sure that lindros wouldn't have made a stink with the devils like he did with quebec. yeah, he didn't want to deal with french canada and the currency difference. but i'm not sure that he wasn't demanding a major city as well.

furthermore, i'm not sold on the fact that we win a cup (let alone two) with concussion head as opposed to Neidermayer. what i can virtually guarantee is that we wouldn't win MORE than 2 with lindros and he'd cost more that wouldn't go to other players. i'd say that we are certainly better off with how it turned out.

let's just be happy that we didn't take Pat Falloon!

Actually, the Burke deal was even better because they also received a #2 1993 Draft Pick from Hartford which turned into Jay Pandolfo.

So, it was Burke and Weinrich for Holik and Pandolfo.

Another great deal was Sylvain Turgeon for Claude Lemieux.

I think one of their best moves was actually based on compensation. Troy Crowder signed with Detroit and the Devils were awarded Dave Barr and Randy McKay.

If you go a step further, that's also how they got Scott Stevens when Shanahan signed w/ the Blues. So, if you really think about it, the Devils got a little lucky in the players they received back.

Another deal nobody mentioned was stealing Neal Broten away from the Stars for Corey Millen. Broten arguably could have won the Conn Smythe in 1995. He was brilliant scoring some big goals.

An underrated deal took place on 6/22/96.

1st Part: Obtained Jeff Reese, Chicago's #2 (Pierre Dagenais) #8 (Jason Bertsch) 1996 Draft Picks from Tampa Bay for Corey Schwab.

2nd Part: Obtained Toronto's #2 (Josh Dewolf which later became Malakhov in Souray deal), #2 (Colin White) 1996 Draft Picks from Pittsburgh for San Jose's #2 1996 Draft Pick (Pavel Skrbek).

Acquired Jason Arnott and Bryan Muir from Edmonton for Bill Guerin and Valeri Zelepukin.

Obtained #4 1998 Draft Pick (Mikko Jokela) from Chicago for Reid Simpson.

Jokela is the Rats' best defenseman and will be a future Devil in a year or two. He's an offensive skating d-man. He's probably your only D prospect at Albany.

Here's a couple of more interesting ones. Take note of the first one.

Obtained Boston's #4 1998 Draft Pick (Pierre Dagenais) from LA for Doug Bodger. Yep, Lamoriello drafted Dage twice because he must have really been high on him. And when you consider how quickly he got dumped, it didn't work out.

I bet most didn't know this next one:

6/27/98- Acquired #1 1998 Draft Pick (Scott Gomez) from Dallas for Carolina's #2 (John Erskine), #2 (Tyler Bouck who bounced around a lot since then) Draft Picks.

Next Part for NJayDevil: Obtained Pittsburgh's #2 1998 Draft Pick (Brian Gionta) from Edmonton for #4 (Kristian Antila), #5 (Oleg Smirnov) 1998 Draft Picks, rights to Fredrik Lindqvist.

For MaddDog: 6/26/97- Signed John Madden as a free agent.

For any Raf fan: 6/18/99- Signed Brian Rafalski as free agent.

Conclusion: It can be said the Devils are excellent at drafting. If you look at how many of these deals were pick swaps and the guys they got, it's a key way their current roster was built. Had Dagenais made it, they would have been in even better shape than they are up front. It's also hard to believe they got Madden and Rafalski for nothing.

All info taken from the 2000-01 Media Guide.

Hope you enjoyed it.

One more thing about the swap of picks that brought up Gomer. He was pretty sure the Devs were going to pick him so he was a little disappointed when they picked Van Ryn instead. Then he was confused because someone at the Devs table winked at him & since they didn't pick him he didn't know why.

Then they traded up and picked him & he figured it out!!!

The broten deal was always a funny one to me. He was awesome and we got a cup in large part due to him. But did you know that Millen was dealt to the Flames for now Devil Joe Neiuwendyk. I'm not a big fan of If A then B reasoning. But I wonder what woulda happened had we traded Millen for Joe ourselves and left Broten out of the picture?

The broten deal was always a funny one to me. He was awesome and we got a cup in large part due to him. But did you know that Millen was dealt to the Flames for now Devil Joe Neiuwendyk. I'm not a big fan of If A then B reasoning. But I wonder what woulda happened had we traded Millen for Joe ourselves and left Broten out of the picture?

The Flames got Iginla for Niewy. So it would have had to be something besides Millen if we were going to do a trade directly for Joe at that time.

Broten really lit the lamp in the '95 SC playoffs......definitely worth it.

The best deal we ever made was the deal the Blues made. They signed Shanny and hello Scott Stevens. :D

Also, Derek, where did you hear that Jokela is an offensive defenseman? I was under the impression that he was a hard hitting dman and that Paul Martin was our only offensive defenseman prospect.