Best And Worst Devils Trades?

devilsrule33

The broten deal was always a funny one to me. He was awesome and we got a cup in large part due to him. But did you know that Millen was dealt to the Flames for now Devil Joe Neiuwendyk. I'm not a big fan of If A then B reasoning. But I wonder what woulda happened had we traded Millen for Joe ourselves and left Broten out of the picture?

Broten really lit the lamp in the '95 SC playoffs......definitely worth it.

Didn't he (Broten) have an OT goal against Pittsburgh in the quarterfinals ??? It was either him or mclean but that was sweet.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Top D-Man Prospects in the Devils' System:

Paul Martin -- offensive defenseman, but solid on defense; "the next Niedermayer," sayeth HockeyDB

Matt DeMarchi -- strong defensive defenseman

Mikko Jokela -- stay-at-home d-man with offensive abilities, can be physical at times

Viktor Uchevatov -- defensive defenseman (HockeyDB insinuates he should not be looked to offensively at all) with average skills that can (and should) improve

Anton Kadeykin -- physical defenseman with limited offensive capabilities (at the present)

The Gilmour deal was a bad one??!! Those of you who think that it was a bad trade are using that "hindsight is 20/20" BS.

That trade was an absolute NO-BRAINER at the time. We got a star player for two seasons (yeah, he ended up hurt a lot, I know) and at the time he was considered to be the missing piece the Devils needed. Without him, Ottawa would have swept us in 1998, LMAO!

Honestly, I can't think of ONE time that Lou was taken to the cleaners on a trade. There's no Naslund-for-Stojanov trades on Lou's resume. But there a lot of brilliant ones, like the Mogilny, Richer, Holik and Lemieux deals (especially the first one with Monteal).

Honestly, I can't think of ONE time that Lou was taken to the cleaners on a trade. There's no Naslund-for-Stojanov trades on Lou's resume. But there a lot of brilliant ones, like the Mogilny, Richer, Holik and Lemieux deals (especially the first one with Monteal).

Well, he WAS taken to the cleaners on the Verbeek for "Turgeon the gutless wonder" trade. BUT, he was then able to palm Sylvain off on the Habs for Pepe. So he's forgiven.

The Gilmour deal was a bad one??!! Those of you who think that it was a bad trade are using that "hindsight is 20/20" BS.

That trade was an absolute NO-BRAINER at the time. We got a star player for two seasons (yeah, he ended up hurt a lot, I know) and at the time he was considered to be the missing piece the Devils needed. Without him, Ottawa would have swept us in 1998, LMAO!

I think you're right, in that we would have been swept by Ottawa. That series was so disappointing----it even sent Lemaire packing.

For a bad trade how about the deal that sent Lemieux in I think a three-way deal for Steve Thomas. I know it was financially driven, but I will always think if we had Pepe we win a few more playoff series (or make the playoffs) in the 96-99 era when the team had the talent to win the cup every year.

I think the deal that brought Darren Quint here for about 1 day until Lou kicked his a$$ to the curb $ucked. I don't remeber the trade. It very well may have been a good trade but the Darren Quint expulsion had always been a mystery to me.

NOOOOO that trade was one of the BEST ones!!! We got rid of that plyon pretending to be a defenseman, Odious!!!!! :lol: WOO HOO!

To this day i really still dislike the O'Donnell for Mitchell trade. Sean absolutely sucked while here, and if we still had Mitchell there would be no albelin and Dano would possibly be the 7th.

Same here, I have always considered this deal to be one of Lou's rare SCREW UPS. Maybe I wouldn't dislike it so much if the d-man we got back was actually somewhat GOOD (UFA) and helped us repeat, but O'D (Part II) was pretty sh***y.

(Btw, heard that Mitchell was moved for off-ice issues rather than on ice - perhaps a 'tude problem or partying too much or?)

I bet most didn't know this next one:

6/27/98- Acquired #1 1998 Draft Pick (Scott Gomez) from Dallas for Carolina's #2 (John Erskine), #2 (Tyler Bouck who bounced around a lot since then) Draft Picks.

Heh, I knew it :D . I remember going "Who the hell is GOMEZ?" and getting kind of pissed off though, when the Devs did it. I guess that I should always trust in Lou. :lol:

Also, Derek, where did you hear that Jokela is an offensive defenseman? I was under the impression that he was a hard hitting dman and that Paul Martin was our only offensive defenseman prospect.

I wouldn't call Jokela an offensive defenseman the caliber of say, a Rafalski, but he has some offensive abilities. His skating is decent, but he'll throw some hits too.. maybe he's more of a hybrid d.

They've given him a chance to make the team for what, 5 years?

Jiri Bicek was never a good prospect, and he's never going to make the NHL.  If he does it will be as a 13th/14th forward.  Too small, doesn't score enough, doesn't seem like a defensive player either.

Tri, I have a higher opinion of Bicek than you do, but maybe because I've watched him in Albany over the years. Having said that, I wasn't passing judgment either way on his decision to not want to return to the Devs. He hasn't gotten a chance to play in the NHL with them so I don't blame the guy for wanting to go to another organization.

Tri, Bicek put up decent numbers at Albany. He also did well in his recall in December 2001. I seem to remember him scoring in his first game and I think it was against Toronto.

He and Dagenais did well in their first stints.

I also remember this because MaddDog didn't get to see Jiri's goal thanks to Cablevi$ion :angry: .

It sucks that I never got those tapes I asked for :P .