From the NHLPA website

MadDog2020

I agree wholeheartedly- linkage should never have been a discussion. The players should've been content with a # between 60 and 65. But (and correct me if I'm wrong) I belive the owners only offered a max of 55. But no matter, the players didn't want linkage at all, unless they would benefit from it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

55 was the figure offered by the owners, but the idea never went through any type of negotiation. The players just said "No."

65 was just a figure I threw out because I believe the owners would've said okay to this. And as 7 said, the owners are not loosing less money this yeat by not playing. They are loosing sponserships and tv deals and more. So both sides are screwed at this point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both sides went upside their respective heads with a cinderblock attached to sledgehammer today. ESPN will be out too, leaving the NHL with no cable deal in the U.S. I hope it was worth it for them.

I needed to cool off for a bit so I grabed a six pack and watched a movie. Figured I would peek in and see if any other stories broke and I see that plenty of you are still here at 1:50AM trying to figure out what went wrong.

Which brings me to my question. Doesn't something seem wrong when the fans seem more concerned about what's taking place then the parties involved?

We can all see something is very wrong and the sport is getting buried deeper and deeper everyday yet the owners and players can't come to grasps with this.

Also, we're not even factoring in if a $45 million cap were accepted, what happens to unrestricted free agency and RFA's and arbitration? Is the age going to be lowered for UFA status? These things would have to get sorted out as part of a new agreement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

right, but those are issues either side was willing to part with in order to get a deal done. They could flip flop those either way they wanted. If they could clear the hurdle of a cap, the rest of the pieces would take about 15 minutes to figure out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it would take a little longer than that. They're both in need of new voices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gretzky for commish and Gartner for NHLPA executive director. Let a hockey player represent the hockey players. Not some blowfish-looking, arrogant, holier-than-thou, piece of sh!t laywer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

goodenow was a hockey player

bettman is the blowfish-looking, arrogant, holier-than-thou, piece of sh!t laywer. he's the one who destroyed hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're both blowfish-looking, arrogant, holier-than thou, piece of sh!t laywers, and I hate both their guts with a passion. And when did Goodenow play in the NHL?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goodenow never played in the NHL, he captained Harvard in the 70's and played in the minors

Haha. Goodenow looks like a bookworm. I never would have guessed he played any hockey.

To be honest, both guys have had their chances and neither were even involved in the talks yesterday. Maybe it's time for both to go and let new people try their hand at fixing this mess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, it's DEFINATELY time for both of them to go Derek. It's actually long past time.

Wasn't it someone who said the problem with the NHL is too many former players run front offices? That those guys don't understand the business of hockey enough and thats why we have bidding wars over 3rd liners. That may have actually come from my Dad though when he talked with some guy from the NHL front office so it might not have been in the papers.

The point is whether or not someone played hockey doesn't make a difference when it comes to negotiations of a CBA or really any other matter of being commish or NHLPA chief.

Well I posted either here, or probably another thread, that maybe we need a group of 5-8 owners and 5-8 players from different pay/revenue brackets and have them work on a deal.

We can call them the CBA commision

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, that's a pretty damn interseting idea. Too bad it makes all that sense- virtually assures it'll never happen.

Ah, that stupid Logic thing again...

Oh well...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I know. It's standard NHL/NHLPA operating procedure to figure out what's logical and then do the exact opposite. It's the MO of both organizations. This is generally what happens when you have people 2 steps below amoebas and rocks on the intelligence level in charge.

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3431

Unreal. They don't want linkage, but they STILL expect the cap to increase when revenues go up, after the league told them in no uncertian terms that linkage works BOTH WAYS. I swear, do these guys sniff paint for fun? No one could be born this stupid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not born stupid, too many pucks to the head. This is not "We want it our way or no way at all." Give and take dummies, you can't do all the taking anymore. Even two year olds figure that one out.

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3431

Unreal. They don't want linkage, but they STILL expect the cap to increase when revenues go up, after the league told them in no uncertian terms that linkage works BOTH WAYS. I swear, do these guys sniff paint for fun? No one could be born this stupid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not born stupid, too many pucks to the head. This is not "We want it our way or no way at all." Give and take dummies, you can't do all the taking anymore. Even two year olds figure that one out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Liz, the players still think it's 1994. When two teams almost fvcking dissolve right in front of our eyes in the same year, you'd think they'd get the message. Too much sh!t in the players' ears for the message to get through to their pea-sized brains I guess.

Well, playing devils adovate for a minute, the owners arn't enirely without fault. They should have made it more clear to the players that a better deal ain't comming around the corner and if they don't make a deal now, you better hope there are enough roster spots open in the WHA because NHL hockey ain't going to be around much longer!

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Well, playing devils adovate for a minute, the owners arn't enirely without fault.  They should have made it more clear to the players that a better deal ain't comming around the corner and if they don't make a deal now, you better hope there are enough roster spots open in the WHA because NHL hockey ain't going to be around much longer!

:rant:  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The owners are just as much to blame, no question. As I've said numerous times- both sides have destroyed the game and should rot in hell. fvck 'em all.