Toronto Picks Up Druken...

aylbert

As reported by TFP : http://www.thefourthperiod.com/tor7.html

December 11, 2002

Leafs pick up Druken

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(TheFourthPeriod.com) -- The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Wednesday that they have claimed Harold Druken off waivers from the Carolina Hurricanes.

Druken, 23, started the year with Vancouver. In 13 games with the Canucks and 'Canes, he has collected a goal and two assists so far this season.

The native of St. John

I think this will def. kick Carolina in the @ss...

They now only have Hlavac from their trade last month with Canucks...

I don't care how bad Druken was doing this season, he still has a lot of promise... smart pickup by the Leafs... He's 23, and still can develop nicely...

At 715k, We could have used him... figuring we pay(ed) Danton 550k and Bicek 500k... Not really sure what the Devs want to spend on gambles though...

Zyuzin: 1,050,000

Salomonnsson: 550,000

Danton: 550,000

So we already have 2,150,000 freeded up in salary NJ originally thought they had to reserve... This means, they can either pick up a guy like Druken, or they can absorb some salary in a trade...

I don't believe the Devs are in dire straights financially... Especially once they get past the 1st round this season in the playoffs ;)

aylbert:

Zyuzin: 1,050,000

Salomonnsson: 550,000

Danton: 550,000

That's a good point; Lou's ALREADY freed up more than two million this season just by losing three players - a cancer, a scrub, and a backup making $1 million. If he was that concerned about the payroll it wouldn't have been as high as it was in the first place anyway.

Druken hasn't developed at all, he's another Quinn waiver wire pickup.. why the Leafs got this guy at all is beyond me, he's shown desire problems as well as conditioning problems at both his NHL stops.. but he was likely a Quinn draft pick. This is Druken's last shot at the NHL.

Aylbert,

Or the Devils can pick up no one and apply the Danton/Zyuzin/Salomonsson savings to the bottom line.

I honestly don't think the Devs are going apply it to the bottom line... The Devs may used the saved money now, or more likely, the annual deadline trade Lou always makes... All depends if the Devs stumble on the way to it.

I see the 2million as an insurance policy...

We also saved $4 million on a$$Holik if you count last year's salary or $9 million if you count this years.

I think we also came out ahead on Friesen/Newy/Lang vs Sykora/Arnott/Commo/McKay

I dont think we would have kept Newy this year if we signed Holik at 9million... Lou would have dumped him for a pair of lower paid, promising prospects.... or a lower paid star...

Anyways, it wasnt Friesen/Newy/Lang vs Sykora/Arnott/Commo/McKay

it was Friesen/Tivo/Newy/Lang for Sykora/Arnott/Commo/McKay/JF

---------

Trading JF just puts a hell of a lot more pressure on Ahohen to be "the one"... which may be good... or may be bad.

Plus, you cant overlook our 3rd puckhandler...

The only people Id ingore are the two young prospects involved in the deal...