One Hit Wonders

Don

There is probably going to be a lot of overlap with the cheese playlist. BTW - I'm considering "One Hit Wonders" artists that have had only one song hit the top 10. So while Bobby McFerrin has dozens of albums and hordes of fans who consider "A-Train" and "I am My Own Walkman" to be "hits", "Don't Worry Be Happy" counts since it's the only one of his songs that hit the top 10.

I'm gonna try to build a list on my own with your suggestions before cheating and looking up VH1's list. But actually, I remember being disappointed with the VH1 list. They included anyone who only had one #1 hit, so there were people there that had lots of hits, just they only got the top spot once. For example Sinead O'Conner... obviously "Nothing Compares 2 U" hit #1, but "Emporer's New Clothes" made the top 10, "Fire on Babylon" made the mid-teens, "Success Has Made a Failure of Our Home" made the top 30.

Correct me if any of the ones I've thought of so far have other hit songs.

"Don't Wanna Fall In Love" - Jane Child

"Wishing Well" - Terance Trent Darby

"Sunny Came Home" - Shawn Colvin

"Bitch" - Meredith Brooks

"Red Red Wine" - UB40

"Toy Soldiers" - Martika

"At This Moment" - Billy Vera & the Beaters

"Round and Round" - Ratt

"LoveFool" - Cardigans

Its sad that in the cheese thread and this one ive seen some of the listed people in concert...

so to add to that...

how bout Nelson - love and affection... but then again after the rain might have topped the charts... my meory does not serve me so well.. i was like 10

Man, I thought UB40 had some other hits...perhaps not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They definitely had more than one hit, off the top of my head I know of their cover of "Can't Help Falling In Love"

Quickly glancing at Amazon, it said this:

While most American listeners only recognize UB40 for their covers of songs that hit the Top 40 like Neil Diamond's "Red Red Wine," Elvis's "Can't Help Falling in Love" and Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe," the band had hits in the U.K with original material like "Food for Thought" (No. 4, 1980), "If It Happens Again" (No. 9, 1984), "Don't Break My Heart" (No. 3, 1985), and "Rat in Mi Kitchen" (No. 12, 1987).

---

I don't think they qualify as OHW's then!

Didn't Golden Earring also have that hit Twilight Zone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't heard it before, but I'll take your word for it. Is there a such thing as a two-hit wonder?

Also, add to the list Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two hit wonder? Hehe maybe Golden Earring is one!

Maybe you'll recognize the lyrics:

Help, I'm stepping into the Twilight Zone

The place is a mad-house, feels like being cloned

My beacon's been moved under moon and star

Where am I to go now that I've gone too far

Soon you will come to know

When the bullet hits the bone

Soon you will come to know

When the bullet hits the bone

So what exactly are the qualifications for a one hit wonder? Is it required that they only have ONE hit, or is two or three OK? Are they only allowed two records? One with the hit and the disappointing follow up?

Bands like UB40 and Golden Earring have put out lots of records over the years. Not sure if they could have gotten away with that if they were a OHW.

Quiet Riot - Come On Feel the Noise

Faith no More - Epic

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax

Tommy Tutone - 867-5309

The Proclaimers - 500 Miles

Soft Cell - Tainted Love

Musical Youth - Pass the Dutchie

Iron Butterfly - In A Gadda Da Vida

Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take it

Others have suggested Relax by "Frankie goes to Hollywood". But I have "Best of Frankie Goes to Hollywood" and my favorite on there is "Two Tribes". I guess it never charted?

And weren't there two videos with the dad being brutalized by Twisted Sister? One for "We're Not Gonna Take It" and another for "I Wanna Rock"? I could very well be mistaken.

I can probably still recite the whole intro to "We're Not Gonna Take It" though:

You are a disgusting slob

Twisted Sister? Quiet Riot? I doubt they ever made the Top 10. Sister had a bunch of songs. Stay Hungry, We're Not Gonna Take It, I Wanna Rock, The Price, etc. Quiet Riot's only other "hits" were Mama Weer All Crazee Now and Metal Health.

Good stuff though, some of my favorites.

What about the guy who did the Pina Colada song?

Gary Neuman with Cars. Here in my car blah blah blbha blahgY8 in carss.

Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight! I loved that song :P

Genius of Love - TomTom club! I loved that song and it's actually sort of not a one hit wonder because it's GOT to be THE most sampled song in history.

Hey who sang "Heartbeat is a Love Beat" in the 70s? Like some kid and his brothers not the Osmonds.. I can't remember their name.

Did the Bay City Rollers do anything besides Saturday Night?

Edited by Darwindog