What does this mean?

Don

TSN to show NHL Draft Lottery

Sidney Crosby

TSN.ca Staff

7/19/2005 7:05:31 PM

The results of the NHL's entry draft lottery, and who gets the No. 1 overall pick, will be carried exclusively on The Sports Network in a special half-hour show on Friday at 4 p.m. (EST).

TSN, which is the rightsholder for the 2005 NHL entry draft in Ottawa on July 30, will carry the lottery event live from New York, where the NHL board of governors will be meeting to ratify the new collective bargaining agreement, approve rule changes for the 2005-06 season and conduct the lottery to determine the order of selection for the entire draft.

The big prize, of course, is talented youngster Sidney Crosby of the Rimouski Oceanic, whose scoring exploits have made him the clear No. 1 choice and a potential franchise player.

Every team in the NHL has a shot at winning that first overall pick in a slightly weighted lottery.

Four teams (Buffalo, Columbus, the New York Rangers and Pittsburgh) have three balls in the lottery. Ten teams (Anaheim, Atlanta, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Nashville, Phoenix) have two balls in the drum. The remaining 16 teams (Boston, Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, New Jersy, NY Islanders, Ottawa, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington) have one.

The team that gets the first pick overall won't pick again until 60th overall. The team that gets the 30th pick, at the end of the first round, gets the first pick (31st overall) in the second round in a "snake" draft system.

The anticipation of who'll pick first overall, and win the right to draft Crosby, is higher than it has ever been in NHL history.

My guess is it'll be something like the NBA Draft Lottery coverage (I think they usually have fifteen minutes at halftime of one of the playoff games where they unveil the thirteen lottery positions), where they unveil the teams 30-1 and then talk with some of the key players there for a few soundbytes.

Following the players' vote, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and his right-hand man Bill Daly, the league's executive vice-president and chief legal officer, will join NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow and senior director Ted Saskin for a joint news conference in Toronto around 5 p.m. EDT.

Then the league will have its show Friday in New York, a board of governors meeting slated to begin around 1 p.m. EDT that will feature a vote on the new deal and a vote on new rule changes proposed by the newly created competition committee. The draft lottery, now a live event instead of the original idea of holding it behind closed doors, will be held around 4 p.m. EDT (TSN). Afterwards Bettman will then host another news conference.   

That looks more promising!!

But reading some other boards around, this could be even more reason to fear the Rangers getting the top pick. They've had a few days to test out some prototype machines that always spit out the Rangers ball first. Just because it's live doesn't mean it's not fixed. It just makes people THINK it's not fixed. If they just gave it to the Rangers behind closed doors, people would be screaming bloody murder. But by having it live they hand Crosby over without fear of a huge uproar. "You saw it. It was live. Rangers ball came out first."

Well having it live is at least a good PR move, something that's been sorely lacking. And another reason for us Americans to be jealous of you Canadiens with TSN :P

Prototype machines heh, damn the conspiracy theorists are having a field day indeed :lol: Even if you throw out all the conspiracy theories, the Rangers still have a 1/16 chance of getting the pick so I guess people can believe what they want to.

Just a damn minute... there's a live, televised event involving a machine full of ping-pong balls in the state of New York and Yolanda Vega's not invited? :angry:

:rofl::evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good one Rowdy !

Is it too much to ask that TSN allow METRO to show the balls drop for the US population? (I know Metro is no longer) :lol:

In case anyone's wondering what I was talking about:

Yolanda Vega is one of the hosts of the NY Lottery's daily televised drawings. Just the way she says her name makes anything sound like a huge event.

VEGA: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, I'm Yolaaaaaaaaannnnda Veeeeeeeeeeegggaaaaaaaaa! And welcome to the 2005 National Hockey League Draft Lottery drawing! Tonight's jackpot is Sidney Crosby! This drawing is being observed by an auditor from KPMG. And the first ball up... is Rangers! The second ball up... is Rangers! And the third ball up... is... also Rangers...

BETTMAN: The National Hockey League would like to congratulate the New York Rangers for winning the first pick in the upcoming draft, and I'd just like to remind everyone that this lottery was on the up and up. Nothing was fixed here today, you saw it with your very eyes. Mark Messier, come get the Cup... er, I mean Sidney!

so yolanda vega was the first pun that came to mind when someone mentions watching balls drop? Where is my mind.

BTW - i love Yolaaaaanda Veeeeeeeeeegaaaa

Oh i was just saying how i thought it was suppose to be people bending over to get it in the rear.. so i was surprised...

but i guess i just dont get it lol.

sometimes im slow! and im proud of it

ya well now that you said it, it makes sense.. even tho i didnt put it together in my head :)

s back to the ball dropping event ... im just excited there is an event to have.

The team that gets the first pick overall won't pick again until 60th overall. The team that gets the 30th pick, at the end of the first round, gets the first pick (31st overall) in the second round in a "snake" draft system.

I kinda like this. no matter where we draft we are probably in a better position than we have been for a few years.

Come on, is there any doubt that this thing will be rigged... rangers defintiely get the first pick... Bettman needs interest in the rangers for a quicker turnaround from the fans....

And ther then getting the first pick, getting number 30 might be the next best thing.

Come on, is there any doubt that this thing will be rigged...  rangers defintiely get the first pick...  Bettman needs interest in the rangers for a quicker turnaround from the fans....

And ther then getting the first pick, getting number 30 might be the next best thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No way. At 30 and 31 you get two shots in the dark. Neither player may even make it to the NHL. You get Jack Johnson at #2 and you've got the next Chris Pronger - someone I think has a legitimate shot at winning the Norris someday.

Just saw this during the Mets broadcast:

MSG will be covering a 3:00PM press conference and the 4:00PM Lottery.  They'll have a 9:00PM analysis.  They promised complete live coverage, whatever they mean by that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course MSG would cover the rags winning the lottery.