Goodenow steps down

MadDog2020

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's so much a matter of losing as it is a matter of not doing what your constituency wanted. Bettman lost in 1995 but he didn't step down, because ultimately he deferred to the owners and a season wasn't lost. Goodenow led the players down the garden path, lost a season and abandoned every principle he let the season die for. He underestimated the league but more importantly he didn't negotiate.

I don't think it's so much a matter of losing as it is a matter of not doing what your constituency wanted.  Bettman lost in 1995 but he didn't step down, because ultimately he deferred to the owners and a season wasn't lost.  Goodenow led the players down the garden path, lost a season and abandoned every principle he let the season die for. He underestimated the league but more importantly he didn't negotiate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It wouldn't be a win-lose outcome except that the league got virtually everything that they wanted and an even better deal than they were willing to give back in March.

Back in 95, the owners thought they had a good deal but it turned out not to be the case. This time around, the players know they capitulated on every point.

What was he to do, the PA planned a strategy, and then you have certain spineless bastards who bail early on the NHLPA and immediately start complaining. You'd like to take players as honest individuals right? When you commit to 18-24, you follow through. Otherwise some of these bozos should've spoken up earlier.

now, Bettman has to resign if you ultimately want to give the league a fresh start. I don't expect them both to happen the same day, but sometime within the next week.

oh yea, I am Bob Goodenow

Edited by '7'

I don't think Goodenow led anyone down the garden path. from all reports, he told the players it might take sitting out 18-24 months, they were sent questionnaires asking them how long they were willing to stay out and the majority said either two years or as long as it takes.

But I think he made 2 key errors. First, whatever he told his constituency, I don't think Bob really believed the owners meant it this time. I don't think he EVER thought they would cancel a season. So I don't believe he really believed in 18-24 months, whatever he told his constituency.

Which leads me to the second mistake, of why there was no plan of action if it all went to hell and the players DIDN'T follow through on their promise of unity through this whole 18-24 month time period. Because he didn't have one. And I think it was because he didn't believe the owners would ever cancel the season, they would fold. So there would be no need to keep his constituency together over that period. Because you should damn well have a Plan B. And he didn't have one. And I can't believe he REALLY thought the players were going to keep it together that long after a season was cancelled. So he must have thought the owners would cave. Otherwise there would have been a Plan B!!!

The hockey world just became a better place.  No all we need is that little fvcking weasel Bettman to go bye-bye's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bettman is not going anywhere. He got a slam dunk, empty net goal victory for the owners. He will be around for a long time.