• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this might have been posted already if so sorry

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=132341

Niedermayer sweepstakes down to three

TSN.ca Staff

8/3/2005 7:46:10 PM

The race to land free agent defenceman Scott Niedermayer is down to three teams, TSN has learned. According to NHL sources, the teams are New Jersey, San Jose and Anaheim.

New Jersey has been Niedermayer's NHL home since 1992, after the Devils took him with the 3rd overall pick in the 1991 draft. Niedermayer has spent 12 full seasons with the Devils, winning the three Stanley Cups and the 2004 Norris trophy as the NHL's top defenceman.

San Jose would offer Niedermayer a chance to be closer to his home in the B.C. interior, and also an excellent chance to compete for the Stanley Cup. The Sharks are a young team widely regarded as having one of the best groups of young players in the NHL. The Sharks were beaten in the Western Conference final by the Calgary Flames in the 2004 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Anaheim would be Niedermayer's pick for family reasons, as playing there would reunite him with his brother Rob, who has been with the Ducks for the past two NHL seasons. The Niedermayer brothers played together in the 2004 World Hockey Championship, but have never played on the same NHL team. The two faced each other in the 2003 Stanley Cup Final, with Scott's Devils winning in game seven.

In addition to his three Stanley Cup titles, Scott Niedermayer has won an Olympic Gold medal, a World Championship, the World Cup, the Memorial Cup and a World Junior title. He is the only player in hockey history to have won all six titles.

The Devils, Sharks and Ducks are all believed to be offering five year deals, with a salary of more than $6.5 million per season.

Edited by Satans Child

That Post article was the George Costanza guarantee (for you Seinfeld fans - the one where he bet on the opposite of his gut instinct and was right about everything) that Nieds WOULDN'T make a decision today :P

If I wasn't so attached to my avatar, part of me's tempted to get a picture of an hourglass for an avatar to signify the Nieds/Raf waiting (and also part of me's tempted to have tumbleweed as an avatar to signify Lou's FA activity :evil:)

EDIT: Then again these days Stan's also been afflicted with Costanza disease, he said at the draft Pronger would be traded to the Ducks, Holik and Nieds would re-sign with the Devs and Raf would leave, so far he's 0-2, hopefully he goes 1-4 :P

Edited by Hasan4978

This is just plain bad news that Nieds is not signed, why... BECAUSE MY WHOLE FRIGGEN OFFICE IS FLYER, EAGLE AND COMCAST COUNTRY! God bless all of you that go through this on a daily basis having to listen how they are going to win the Cup this year, win the Superbowl this year... I can't wait for the season to begin so the Devs can shut my co-workers up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel a little better that Vancouver/Calgary aren't in the mix, but SJ's an intriguing choice, they're close to being a winner and he'd be close enough to Robbie (and Canada), with maybe a possibility of Robbie going there next year.

Sounds like the money's the same so we'll see.

And if Nieds does leave I agree with what Liz said in the other thread, Lou should give Raf a bit of a raise for waiting around.

I feel a little better that Vancouver/Calgary aren't in the mix, but SJ's an intriguing choice, they're close to being a winner and he'd be close enough to Robbie (and Canada), with maybe a possibility of Robbie going there next year.

Sounds like the money's the same so we'll see. 

And if Nieds does leave I agree with what Liz said in the other thread, Lou should give Raf a bit of a raise for waiting around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, Rafalski is a real trooper for waiting. However, he and his agent must also realize that if Niedermayer does bolt, the Devils must sign Rafalski at all costs, and his price may skyrocket. Unless some other team blows him away in the interim, the smart business move is to wait.

But the Ducks have 10 players signed for 23.5 M, add Nied at 6.5 and you've hit 30 when you still need to sign 9-10 more guys ?

So barring a trade, they'd be very top-heavy.

Shark got 10 players signed for 13.5 + Nieds @ 6.5 is just 20.

Lots more room to get some good talent.

Im not quite sure why some of you are giving Rafalski "props" for waiting around.

Hes waiting around, because he will either have the Devils in a position to put Lou under a rock but above a hard place.

Or, he will be able to squeeze either SJ or Anaheim as losers in the Niedermayer derby.

Dont paint Rafalski as some "do-gooder".

Hes looking out for himself, as I would do in his situation.

Ah, good idea...maybe we'll have one signings/trades thread a day at the rate they're going off the board :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ducks have some young inexpensive talent they can plug in from their farm team.

While it's true he would have Lou in a bind I doubt that would mean Lou would turn around and give him $6 million. He could probably get the same money now he'd get later from Lou or close enough to it, he just wouldn't have as many choices to go to later.

BTW you're only looking at this one way, if Nieds somehow re-signs then Raf A) won't get nearly as much from the Devils and B) his options for going elsewhere are cut in half.

Edited by Hasan4978

I have to be honest, I dont like our chances.

If we lose on Niedermayer, and re-up Rafalski, I would expect Lou to split the money he would have spent on adding a Dan McGillis type d-man, and a forward.

Fourthperiod is reporting that in addition to NJ/SJ/ANA a fourth un-named team just entered into the Nieds mix. If he wanted to sign with NJ, why would he wait this long. I'm worried that Lou is passing up on all other opportunities while he waits for Neids to make up his mind.

In Lou I trust

ohhh boy !

"REPORT: Scott Niedermayer has a list 4 teams he is debating between, TFP has learned. His agent, Kevin Epp, has confirmed a report that Anaheim, San Jose & New Jersey on the list, with a fourth team just recently entering the mix. Stay clicked on TFP for updates"

Spector's is reporting that Roenick got traded to LA but at the bottom there is a ref to WIP saying it was just an exploration at this point. Phailures are thinking of moving both Handzus and Desjardins to clear some cap room. Also, it looks like, Flyers have to get under the upper limit of cap {39M} by start of the season which means they have some time

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.