Free Agent/Trades Off-season 2005

NJDevs4978

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Sharks friend says Flyer fans will hate Rathje cause of his style. He's big but doesn't hit and you know how much Philly fans love hitting. He's a stay-at-home D who is good at keeping players away from the net. But the fact he isn't that physical will tick them off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's always seemed to be the knock on Rathje, Derek. He's a big, big boy but he doesn't like to get mean very often.

I just can't see why Niedermayer would sign here. We suck. He'd be much better off with the Devils or going back home to Western Canada.

Btw... the report might have been by Fischler and he's as reliable as (N)Єverson :lol:.

i've learned that you cannot be mad at someone for going for more money. you just can't. if it's the same money (which we'll really never know) and he goes to the rangers, then you can feel all you want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's even more damning if the money's the same and he still leaves for the Rangers, he wouldn't even be moving to a new city, that just smacks of 'I hate your guts and want to stick it to you'.

BTW the title of the OTG board almost gets it right, At Sea With Sather, it should be changed to 'Up Sather's creek without a paddle' :P

Edited by Hasan4978

holik went to the rangers out of spite just as much as he did for the extra $2M.

if i'm neider though, and the devils offer me $6.5 as has been reported and the rangers offer $7.8, i would still stay with NJ not just for the winning, but for the fact that you're essentially left alone unlike in NY where all the problems with the team are YOUR fault.

So the mention of his name got me to check out the Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) blog for the first time since the lockout ended. Good to see his upped his standards -- he posts that Modano will go to the Bruins by 5 today, and then reports a few hours later than its down to two teams with an announcement (maybe) on Wed.

Didn't see any Nieder news, though...

<JESTER>

Nieder, Raf or Stevens, that's who I want to hear 'Devils sign...' :)

As long as Lou resigns our fa's, I will be happy.

We are pretty set up front and of course at goal.

D is the weak point right now with Raffy, Nieds and Stevens all available but as its been said in the past. "In Lou we trust" He has signed them all before, he can do it again.

holik went to the rangers out of spite just as much as he did for the extra $2M

I kind of think that the Rangers signed him to spite the Devils. He had been unhappy with his previous contract and the Rangers knowing this, took advantage.

It ending up being their loss as usual.

holik went to the rangers out of spite just as much as he did for the extra $2M

I kind of think that the Rangers signed him to spite the Devils. He had been unhappy with his previous contract and the Rangers knowing this, took advantage.

It ending up being their loss as usual.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"the education of robert holik" was the 2nd chapter in a great book Money Players (http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=74-1551990563-0) where it reads that Holik had his agent call the Rangers, and ONLY the Rangers and demand $9M. When the Rangers counterd lower, Bobby told his agent $9 Million. Period. It took Sather about 10 minutes to say yes.

Sather believing that it would weaken a rival and strengthing had no problem offering it.

If Holik was with any other team, Sather would have had to step back and realize how ridiculous the demand was.

Sather believing that it would weaken a rival and strengthing had no problem offering it.

If Holik was with any other team, Sather would have had to step back and realize how ridiculous the demand was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

again, sather offered nothing. holik had made up his mind before the ufa date that he was going to the rangers for as much as he could get. HE called the Rangers and HE provided the number. Sather tried for 5 minutes to couter and decided he'd rather just eat his ice cream and sign holik because, hey, it's not my money....and maybe this will work...i'm a genius.

I guess I should have changed the sentence to "Sather believing that it would weaken a rival and strengthing themselves had no problem listening to or accepting it."

Incorrect choice of words.

I would have gone with Slats Catches of the Day Has. But At Sea With Sather is cool.

If they signed Niedermayer, there'd be a much different reason than Holik. Getting a franchise defenseman who can make a difference. In particular with guys like Tyutin and Kondratiev. If you looked at their roster, they lack a #1 guy. Niedermayer can play in any situation. Nieds isn't a snob like Holik and would be much better in the locker room. That kind of intangible stuff is important for a younger team.

Ah, there goes HOI's credibility with the Holik signing .. once again, the spin begins after Holik signs somewhere other than New Jersey.

Anyway, everyone here is forgetting that the real free agency bonanza begins next year. These teams loading up now will not have the cap room to maneuver when all the 'years of service' guys come on the market.

Rathje and Hatcher are two great defensive defensemen. Yet the Flyers still lack a dependable puck mover just as they always have. I'm not too concerned - the Red Wings assembled quite possibly the best ever corps of defensemen last season and couldn't beat the Calgary Flames. Then again, they didn't have Ken Hitchcock.

Aucoin signing is huge for the Blackhawks. Let's not forget that while other top defensemen play 26 to 27 minutes, Aucoin is consistently playing 30 and 31 minutes. Those extra minutes are what Chicago is paying him for. Cullimore and Aucoin should make Chicago a good defensive team next year, but they have no dependable offense yet.

Could I make a suggestion to the admins that instead of having one thread, we have an individual thread for each major signing? Most of these begin a discussion and with the sheer volume of signings I expect, it's difficult to follow these discussions.

I dont know why people here keep saying we are set up front.

I think we are very weak up front, with a definitive lack of size and scoring to complement our speedy wingers.

My sincere hope is that Lou is simply waiting for other teams to splurge early and see what pickings are out there later this week to move in stealth style and steal them.

I really believe this team needs more than just bringing back Nieds/Raffy or one of them and add another defenseman.

This team could use another top forward type.

Right, Triumph, becuase people never change their minds.....they never go, "yea definitely New Jersey, they really fit my game, i know the area, and a lot of the boys"......a few days later..."You know, I live in North Florida, my family is staying put there, Jersey is farther away than my family. I've been to the Devils before, I've been there done that. Atlanta is something new, a fresh start, with a great coach, a much better young team and a new challenege. They really want me. Sure I'll sign with Atlanta"

I dont know why people here keep saying we are set up front.

I think we are very weak up front, with a definitive lack of size and scoring to complement our speedy wingers.

My sincere hope is that Lou is simply waiting for other teams to splurge early and see what pickings are out there later this week to move in stealth style and steal them.

I really believe this team needs more than just bringing back Nieds/Raffy or one of them and add another defenseman.

This team could use another top forward type.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're 'set' up front because we don't have the cap room to do otherwise. If Kozlov stays in Russia that should give us some extra dollars with which to sign a physical right wing - I forget if Trent Klatt is on the market, but he would interest me, and a deal for Mike Grier would interest me as well.

I also think the Devils are way too small.

But they do not have the cap room to add both Niedermayer and Rafalski. This is irrelevant since the other top teams in the NHL will not be as good as they were pre-lockout - every team will have holes on paper as well as on the ice.

Right, Triumph, becuase people never change their minds.....they never go, "yea definitely New Jersey, they really fit my game, i know the area, and a lot of the boys"......a few days later..."You know, I live in North Florida, my family is staying put there, Jersey is farther away than my family. I've been to the Devils before, I've been there done that. Atlanta is something new, a fresh start, with a great coach, a much better young team and a new challenege. They really want me. Sure I'll sign with Atlanta"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you thought Holik could change his mind, maybe you should've put that in your 'Holik is definitely coming back, he's great for the locker room' speech. All of the sudden he has a home in North Florida (who has a home in North Florida, by the way? Has anyone been there?) and he wants to go to Atlanta.

Edited by Triumph

Well, I also wouldnt be shocked if Lou tendered Friesen to use him in a trade.

I just do not like the lack of balance up front, especially with the change in rules.

Yes, speed will help in the offensive zone, but you still need big physical wingers or a center who can clog up the middle of the ice in transition to defense.

I have a feeling Lou may pull something out of his hat. I think hes probably playing more of a waiting game.

Ah, there goes HOI's credibility with the Holik signing .. once again, the spin begins after Holik signs somewhere other than New Jersey.

Anyway, everyone here is forgetting that the real free agency bonanza begins next year.  These teams loading up now will not have the cap room to maneuver when all the 'years of service' guys come on the market.

Rathje and Hatcher are two great defensive defensemen.  Yet the Flyers still lack a dependable puck mover just as they always have.  I'm not too concerned - the Red Wings assembled quite possibly the best ever corps of defensemen last season and couldn't beat the Calgary Flames.  Then again, they didn't have Ken Hitchcock.

Aucoin signing is huge for the Blackhawks.  Let's not forget that while other top defensemen play 26 to 27 minutes, Aucoin is consistently playing 30 and 31 minutes.  Those extra minutes are what Chicago is paying him for.  Cullimore and Aucoin should make Chicago a good defensive team next year, but they have no dependable offense yet.

Could I make a suggestion to the admins that instead of having one thread, we have an individual thread for each major signing?  Most of these begin a discussion and with the sheer volume of signings I expect, it's difficult to follow these discussions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as usual, i couldn't agree more with everything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you thought Holik could change his mind, maybe you should've put that in your 'Holik is definitely coming back, he's great for the locker room' speech. All of the sudden he has a home in North Florida (who has a home in North Florida, by the way? Has anyone been there?) and he wants to go to Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, one this happened this morning. Prior to yesterday, the Devils were in the forefront. Sorry I am not up to the minute, I do have some a life. Do your reasearch on Holik. Remeber that old ESPN Mag feature on him... The guy lives in fvckin' Wyoming in the offeseason...is North Florida, where lots of farmland lie, all that out of the question.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.