Rags Putting Trottier Out Of His Misery Soon?

SueNJ97

Well, I'm less inclined to chalk up the Rangers' failures to misfortune than you are, C. I thought the Lindros trade was a bad move at the time by Sather and I still think it's bad. The Bure trade I waver on. On the one hand, the Rangers didn't have to give up a whole lot to get a bonafide weapon, and on the other hand, he has his own baggage

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devs25, Derek brought it all on himself at the Cafe. He was given a warm welcome, but insisted on name-dropping and numerous references to his internship at ESPN as to why he knew more about hockey than any of us.

He has a special fondness for me because of an article he authored on the Cafe about the Sabres former owners. When he asked for comments, I pointed out the many fact errors in his piece, all easily avoidable had he had done any research.

So maybe it seems like some of us like to give Derek a hard time, but I assure you that's not the case. Other than references to his numerous nickname changes, of course. ;)

Well Jerry, the thing about Lindros was, this was a one time shot.. and not much of a gamble. Kim Johnsson I was never impressed with, and while he's developed into a solid D in Philadelphia, Brendl has done nothing and Jan Hlavac is now on his 6th franchise and 4th NHL team.

Same with Bure.

The Rangers wouldn't have had another shot at either of the two.. the injury to Bure is expected, but Lindros's poor play this year is inexcusable.

I agree that Lindros' underachievement is hurting the Rangers. Keeping the puck out of the net is hurting just as much though. I watch Ranger games when the Devils aren't playing or during Devil intermissions, and I've seen opponents get odd-man rushes on the Rangers WITHOUT a turnover.

And the goaltending? Well, there's another thing you can kill Sather about, as I know #10 Duguay has many times. Signing Richter was not a good decision. I think you can also kill Sather for not playing hardball with Nedved when he became an RFA.

By the way, Duguay, you didn't like my song I posted in the cafe? ;)

Jerry - C didn't say that Sather has improved the Rangers - he says their farm system.....which is definitely true.

Actually, I did say that the Sather improved the Rangers. However, my definition of improvement may be different from Jerry's.

When Sather took over, the Rangers not only had no prospects but also a fractured locker room, no tougness and an old roster. I can remember distinctly Smith's final year how the Rangers would get knocked around and even intimidated by teams like the Flyers. Remember Rob Dimao? That doesn't happen now, the team is bigger, younger and more skilled. There was no one even close to Lindros and Bure in offensive talent back then.

Now, if he could only land a defensive d-man...

And the goaltending? Well, there's another thing you can kill Sather about, as I know #10 Duguay has many times. Signing Richter was not a good decision.

True, but someone of Dunham's calibre wasn't available over the summer. Unless he wanted to overpay for CuJo or Belfour.

Now, if he could only land a defensive d-man...

A legitimate question posed to Rangers fans: WHY was Kaspar signed? Was he considered to be a strong defensive d-man who would help this organization? If so, I'll argue with that.

There anyone in the free agent market over the summer you'd rather have seen signed with the NYR instead of Kaspar?

No - Kaspar is a disrupter, a guy who you can't forget is on the ice.

He's never been great defensively, but never been as bad as he's been this year.

There was no defenseman on the market that would have been better suited, unless they actually got Chelios, who was never leaving Detroit.

True, but someone of Dunham's calibre wasn't available over the summer. Unless he wanted to overpay for CuJo or Belfour.

I agree that CuJo and Belfour were overpaid, but (sorry, but have to take a knock at the organization) signing one of them to an outrageous contract would have continued the trend of the summer signings for the Rangers.

I think that if the Rangers had held off on signing Richter they could have signed someone like Dafoe for much less, since his market dried up quickly.

But I'll admit, landing Dunham was a smart move. He'll give strong play for the rest of the season.

hahahahahah

I'd MUCH rather "overpay" Curtis Joseph than pay Bobby Hole-lick $9 million a year for 20 points and 50 bad penalties or Kaspar $4.5 million for his -20.

I could do a better job than Sather.

BOOK IT

That's if you believe that Dafoe is any good......................I tend not to.

Fair enough.

I just think the Rangers could have signed Dafoe for less money than Richter (arguably with good reason for the difference in pay). And if they'd been unhappy with him, not a lot of money would have been wasted and they still could have pulled off a deal like the Dunham one.

Good ol' counterfactual speculation.... :D

The Cafe sucks. They have bullies over there who when you don't agree with them, they take potshots at you and lobby to have you banned.

My ban was never explained by Alex. Rob emailed me on it. But there was never an explanation.

My guess is an arrogant jerk like Duguay probably influenced them to kick me out.

Most fans over there don't like to hear anything but what they say. When you disagree with them, it's the end of the world.

I'm taking a break.

Enjoy the season.

Random Rangers-related question.

Is it just me, or is Holik making 4+ times the amount Lindros is this season? TFP reports Holik making 9.6 million, while Lindros makes 2.1 million.

...whaaaaaaa?

Holik's number includes his signing bonus, not just the base salary.

Lindros' is just the base guaranteed salary. His contract is loaded with incentive clauses that pay him close to $8MM per if he stays healthy and has a decent season.