SPECTOR'S TRADE RUMOURS

Elias26

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasan, don't even bother trying to use logic with some of these posters -- they seem to think that if we re-sign or trade for every player from the '00 Cup team we'll automatically be Cup contenders again...hell, let's get Claude out of retirement. Who cares if he might need an oxygen tank on ice, he's better than the crap we've put out there, right?

Yup, Sykora has been terrible this year, but he'd be some magical upgrade on our team...just what we need, another struggling forward who throws hissy fits when things aren't going his way.

If we magically did get Sykora, these same people that are begging for him will be the first to throw him to the wolves when he doesn't pan out. Mark my words.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, I never have even mentioned getting another guy from '00 Cup team, so where you get that generalization from is beyond me.

Secondly, yeah, he has sucked it up a bit. But when you look a the situation he is in, it's not at all favorable. He's missed 6 games due to injury, is on a mediocre team with little offense, etc. You would be amazed what a change of scenery would do for certain players.

Looking at it from the Cap standpoint, as well: Sykora is an unrestricted FA at the end of season, and is making less than Mogs. Mogilny is locked through next year, despite whatever injury problems he has, or whatever.

You also know that he and Elias have tremendous chemistry together, something which is not at all apparent on this Devils team.

And ESB, that wicked shot of Mogilny would be much better could he get it off half the time. Also, come on, yeah, he scored key goals in both Boston games, but you can't say he won those games for us. How many games has he cost because of shoddy defense then?

Look, I never said Sykora was great, or that Mo sucked. But from both a team and financial standpoint, I would rather have Sykora.

Edited by Voros19

First of all, I never have even mentioned getting another guy from '00 Cup team, so where you get that generalization from is beyond me.

Secondly, yeah, he has sucked it up a bit. But when you look a the situation he is in, it's not at all favorable. He's missed 6 games due to injury, is on a mediocre team with little offense, etc. You would be amazed what a change of scenery would do for certain players.

Looking at it from the Cap standpoint, as well: Sykora is an unrestricted FA at the end of season, and is making less than Mogs. Mogilny is locked through next year, despite whatever injury problems he has, or whatever.

You also know that he and Elias have tremendous chemistry together, something which is not at all apparent on this Devils team.

And ESB, that wicked shot of Mogilny would be much better could he get it off half the time. Also, come on, yeah, he scored key goals in both Boston games, but you can't say he won those games for us. How many games has he cost because of shoddy defense then?

Look, I never said Sykora was great, or that Mo sucked. But from both a team and financial standpoint, I would rather have Sykora.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RD was pointing out that this is the latest occurrence of an '00 name brought up. Mogilny is actually a name that was brought up. She was not saying you were the one that brought it up.

He hasn't cost us more games than anyone else on the ice. Really I don't know what you're seeing, cause I'm not seeing it.

If we're losing games, and no one's scoring, and he scores, well that's something that hasn't been done by anyone else on the ice.

Not just the Boston games either. He's had some key goals for us today. I guess you missed 'em while looking for a whiff.

It's amazing that you can be so in favor of Sykora who is weighing down a team with very little pressure on it. Who is not producing when he's being showcased to go to a team that maybe has playoff potential. He has had zero key goals this year. But somehow that's better than what we have with Mogilny?

Elias can have chemistry with a fruitfly. He still led the Devils in scoring in a hideous season in which his linemates had names like Berglund and Bicek. He was fantabulous with Gomez last year. My friends and I feel that a matchup of something like Elias-Kozlov-Mogilny would be exquisite and add something to all three of them.

I don't know why I'm arguing this anymore. Like RD said, we were two of the biggest Sykora supporters around. We don't think he could add a team in need of a psychological boost. You do, and that's good for you.

And by the way, Sykora VANISHED in the 2003 Finals. He scored one as Crasher would deem it completely meaningless goal and then didn't get anything else accomplished. I do have issues with his mental fortitude, ones that originally came up with his self-sidelining against the Hurricanes.

Everyone is talking about Sykie making a possible return to NJ...quite improbable if you ask me, especially considering the amount of money he makes.

What everyone should be speculating about is a true, bonafide center making his way to New Jersey. As it stands, the only guy that can really break the blue line coming down the middle is Scott Gomez.

The Devs don't have another play-making center in the fold...Parise has been shifted to the wing, Madden was never known for his play making ability, and Rasmussen isn't exactly Sydney Crosby....

Yes, Brylin can play a variety of positions, but he's not exactly someone who I think is a top two or three center...I think he's better off on the wing if you asked me...

I would start speculating that if someone is going to return to New Jersey it would be someone like Brendan Morrison...this guy can play both sides of the puck, and is very creative...

Name players...it doesn't matter. The truth is, and Lou knows it, that the Devs are lacking a true, play-making center to follow Scott Gomez. As it stands, opposing teams get quasi-nervous only when Gomer, Gio, and Kozy get on the ice...

Bring in another true, play making centerman!

That's def. true, and was discussing such need the other day with Crash.

I would like to see us go out of the Devils fold though, and get someone maybe not flourishing where he is. This used to be a Lou strong suit.

Brendan and the Devils split on very bad terms, and although we've learned that that doesn't mean it can't be remedied, there is sort of a bad taste left from those sort of things.

By the way, just to stir up the mill even further, when Elias was quoted about the loss of Arnott and/or Sykora, he said something like "I was really upset when Brendan was traded, we were really close too. But I realize it's a business."

I was thinking that Morrison might be a nice fit for the B's.

RD was pointing out that this is the latest occurrence of an '00 name brought up. Mogilny is actually a name that was brought up. She was not saying you were the one that brought it up.

He hasn't cost us more games than anyone else on the ice. Really I don't know what you're seeing, cause I'm not seeing it.

If we're losing games, and no one's scoring, and he scores, well that's something that hasn't been done by anyone else on the ice.

Not just the Boston games either. He's had some key goals for us today. I guess you missed 'em while looking for a whiff.

It's amazing that you can be so in favor of Sykora who is weighing down a team with very little pressure on it. Who is not producing when he's being showcased to go to a team that maybe has playoff potential. He has had zero key goals this year. But somehow that's better than what we have with Mogilny?

Elias can have chemistry with a fruitfly. He still led the Devils in scoring in a hideous season in which his linemates had names like Berglund and Bicek. He was fantabulous with Gomez last year. My friends and I feel that a matchup of something like Elias-Kozlov-Mogilny would be exquisite and add something to all three of them.

I don't know why I'm arguing this anymore. Like RD said, we were two of the biggest Sykora supporters around. We don't think he could add a team in need of a psychological boost. You do, and that's good for you.

And by the way, Sykora VANISHED in the 2003 Finals. He scored one as Crasher would deem it completely meaningless goal and then didn't get anything else accomplished. I do have issues with his mental fortitude, ones that originally came up with his self-sidelining against the Hurricanes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, whatever, irreconcilable philospochial differences when it comes to Sykora and Mogilny. Sykora used to be my absolute favorite player, I even cried when they traded him, so maybe I am showing favoritism. But still, I do not think Mogilny has played well, or at least AS well as you are making it out to be. How many goals have been passed up because he couldn't control a pass, or because he whiffs on a shot. Plenty. I have not really been enamored with him at all this season.

---

As far as another playmaking center goes, when Elias gets back, move Kozlov from Left Wing to center. I know he doesn't like taking faceoffs, but he actually seems to be fairly good at them. You won't find a much better playmaker than him, either. I don't think defense is as big as a liability as one might think, since he actually hustles back on plays (at least that's what I've observed recently). Not exactly sure how his defensive zone awareness is, though.

Even though we know our smaller guys can really flourish in the new NHL, the team still needs a power forward. At any forward position.

Because he is a liability when he's on the ice. He can't skate, mishandles the puck, and is injury prone. I swear, if I had a dollar for every time he wiffs on one-timers on the PP, geez. Yeah, he has a terrific shot, yeah, but that doesn't just buy him a spot on the team. God forbid Mogilny ever goes down with a serious injury, too.

I feel much safer with Sykora than I do with Mogilny. I know if he's caught back, he can catch up to the play. I know he won't go down with an injury in the big spot. I know he won't completely miss the puck 50% of the time one-timers.

Yeah, he's trying, but how effective is Mogilny lighty bumping a guy to the boards? It has no effect. 

Are we watching the same player? Almo is still one of the fastest skaters in the league. While he has been injury prone the past few years he has been playing hurt for the past few weeks, has been one of the only players actually playing physical and is our second highest goal scorer.

The only complaint about him is that he doesn't shoot enough.

You can have Sykora he is loafer who is also fake-injury prone.

I agree with most of what Manta said but I no longer think Mogs is one of the fastest players in the league. A few times this season he has had chances at break-aways and hasn't even attempted to beat the defenseman, my belief being that he knows he can't beat them. Mogs is also repeatedly getting caught from behind while skating. I do think Mogs the last 10 games have been playing very well though, you could make a very good arguement he is playing the best hockey of any Devils right now.

Edited by Devils731

Are we watching the same player?  Almo is still one of the fastest skaters in the league.  While he has been injury prone the past few years he has been playing hurt for the past few weeks, has been one of the only players actually playing physical and is our second highest goal scorer.

The only complaint about him is that he doesn't shoot enough.

You can have Sykora he is loafer who is also fake-injury prone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the fastest players in the league? Are you kidding?

Mogilny only has average speed at this point - he's still got that unbelivable wrist shot and still puts himself in a position to score.

How anyone could want to trade the one hot stick on this team is unimaginable. Oh wait, he's 37 - that must be it.

Sykora could end up with the Rangers - they have the Cap room and all those other Czechs already. They got our famous #15 and our famous #16 - why not our famous #17 as well?

Maybe we can trade McGillis and someone else for Sykie? i think it could work... it's a very deifferent devils team we have now.

I LIKE Sykora.... but I can't stand him either.... :saddevil:

I'm not going to the game. I'm afraid my friend is going to be mad... can you all stand it -- i turned down a free Devils ticket what IS the world coming to???? :argh: I am sick by the way... got Rebecca's cold... and I'm STIFF from shoveling our HUGE HILLY driveway. but it was fun!

Sykora could end up with the Rangers - they have the Cap room and all those other Czechs already.  They got our famous #15 and our famous #16 - why not our famous #17 as well?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not if I can help it :angry:. Sykora sucks!

Alyn McCauley has 10 points in his last 6 games. I'd like to pick him up too....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh enough already. Alyn McCauley was never going to sign with the Devils - he wanted near the rookie maximum and was going back into the draft if he didn't get it. Plus we had at least 7 NHL centers in the organization already.