Gomez, Gionta, Rafalski make Olympic Team

Exit56

congrat's to the dev's that made the cut, however, i can see this team being a huge disappointment at the games - personally, I don't see them making it to the medal round.

Carryovers that absolutely should not be there:

Chelios, Hatcher, Tkuchuk, Guerin,

a couple other question marks, but that's always the case

Including those 4 on the team, I smell Nagano all over again. Cut the ties and move on already, they've had their chances, go with the young guys already, will you.

Parise, Martin, and Langenbrunner are not playing well enough to even merit consideration to play for the women's national team...

However, Pando should have been selected...I'm disappointed that Pando won't be going...he would have made a great addition....

Sorry Pando! You're still our favorite!

However, Pando should have been selected...I'm disappointed that Pando won't be going...he would have made a great addition....

Sorry Pando!  You're still our favorite!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't Canada win the last gold because Gretzky picked a TEAM rather than the top scorers? (Or who's been on the team since 1964 :puke: ) Included in that team were role players, just like a real hockey team! Checking line and everything!

Apparently USA Hockey didn't get that memo... :doh1::argh:

I liked Joe Micheletti during the Isle telecast (I think it was beginning of the third period):

'Congratulations to team USA for not selecting Roenick', and then he ripped into Roenick for a whole minute how he could root for Canada now :boogie:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Hasan,

I caught the tail end of an argument that Miceheletti was having with the other announcer. Joe M, was pretty heated in his tone, but I couldn't listen to it. What was he so unhappy about?

I have never heard him that so angry on the air.

I'm not that surprised Pando didn't make the team. I honestly was surprised to hear his name being mentioned in the first place, but I guess that means that his defensive abilities ARE being recognized (which is nice). Maybe they figured that guys like Conroy can do Pando's job and have a chance of contributing a bit more offensively?

Congrats to Raf, Gomer, and Gio. :boogie: I'm very curious to see what the two G's can do on the bigger ice surface!!!!

This team actually has a great deal of character - hopefully Tkachuk and Chelios never see the ice. Otherwise though, while this team clearly lacks the skill of the Canadians or possibly the Russians, Czechs, and Swedes - these guys have heart. In a short tournament, skill is less important, IMO.

Hey Hasan,

I caught the tail end of an argument that Miceheletti was having with the other announcer.  Joe M, was pretty heated in his tone, but I couldn't listen to it.  What was he so unhappy about?

I have never heard him that so angry on the air.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't tell you, I only was listening for a few minutes and the only thing I really heard was the Roenick shot :)

I wonder who Derek and Bruins feel that Leetch wasn't even considered.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't bother me at all. He's not the same player. He can't skate as well as he used to. If he could, he would have been a lock. But it's no longer the case. Leetch has had a great career. But like Roenick, it's time to move on.

I actually think Berard would have been a good choice for this team. His skating and freewheeling game works on that surface. But he plays on a bad team and they already took Rafalski, Liles and Leopold. So it would have been too many puckmoving offensive types on the blueline. That's why Mara wasn't picked.

I have maintained that I really like the team they selected. It has a nice mix. I was thinking of some line combos and D pairs and came up with a few:

Tkachuk-Weight-Knuble

Cole-Gomez-Gionta

Drury-Modano-Guerin

Blake-Conroy/Rolston-Parrish

Hatcher-Rafalski

Miller-Schneider

Leopold-Liles

Chelios

Esche

Grahame

DiPietro

I'd have included Keith Carney on the blueline. Or maybe Ken Klee.

Carney has sucked this year. Klee though is a solid idea.

I think leetch can still play with the best. He's not the same offensive player he is at even strength or at going coast to coast. But on the powerplay, its been a long time since i've seen a guy keep the puck in as smoothly and pinch as nicely as he did. Unfortunately the bruins inconsistency downlow and inability to flat out shoot at key times hindered this...Leetch doesn't shoot enough in my opinion....

I think dipietro will be the starter. Especially given how AWFUL esche has been this year. He's been so bad, his rebound control is something to behold. I honestly thing you have to try to kick out rebounds as bad as him this year. I knew they were a problem heading into this year, but esche seems to have regressed so much. He gets caught out of his net way too much also. He follows the play way too much, sometimes he is able to get those INCREDIBLE legs back, but its just too much of a gamble, especially at the top level.

Berard blows. Its not even because he plays on a bad team. The way he plays defense is god awful. Its just so scary. He has no idea of how to play the man and he thinks his skating is so masterful it will get him anywhere, ugh. so bad.

I guess we'll see. I'd be suprise if USA medals...