ESPN Reporting Malakhov NOT Retired...

Exit56

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2265839

What Lamoriello calls retirement, agent calls 'leave'

By E.J. Hradek

ESPN The Magazine

Devils president and GM Lou Lamoriello tried to reload the New Jersey Devis quickly, signing stopgap vets Dan McGillis and Vladimir Malakhov.

But neither man (nor fellow free-agent acquisition Richard Matvichuk) has been particularly good in the "new" NHL, and all three have taken turns in the club's doghouse.

In fact, the club placed McGillis (and his $2.2 million salary) on waivers late last week. Once he cleared, they were planning to send him down to the minors to create cap space for the soon-to-be returning Patrik Elias, who has missed the first part of the season due to illness.

Earlier in the season, they made a similar money-saving move with tough-guy winger Krzysztof Oliwa ($835,000). But an unforeseen circumstance may change McGillis' minor-league fate.

On Monday, during a question-and-answer session with reporters, Lamoriello said Malakhov had decided to retire. According to Lamoriello, the lanky Russian defender had made his decision on the flight back to New Jersey after Saturday's 4-1 loss in Carolina. If that's the case, it would be a gift from the salary-cap gods. Malakhov's $3.6 million annual salary -- he signed a two-year contract with the club in August -- would come off the books. That would enable the Devils to keep McGillis on the big-league roster. Lamoriello said he was planning to sign veteran Tommy Albelin to fill the spot. However, Malakhov's agent, Paul Theofanous, claims (through a spokesman) that Malakhov has not retired. Instead, Theofanous says, Malakhov requested a personal leave of absence.

When contacted with the contradictory statement, a Devils spokesman said it's the club's position that Malakhov had indeed retired. Lamoriello could not immediately be reached for further comment.

This situation is ... to be continued.

EJ Hradek covers hockey for ESPN The Magazine. E-mail him at ej.hradek@espnmag.com. Also, click here to send EJ a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.

This from the Daily News article:

link

Defenseman Vladimir Malakhov, on the team plane home following a 4-1 loss to Carolina in Raleigh Saturday night, asked to meet with Lou Lamoriello and, according to the GM, announced he had decided to retire. There was a report that Malakhov's agent claimed his client actually requested only a leave of absence but Lamoriello said through a team spokesman that was not so.

maybe there is an agent that is fearing losing money :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly what I was thinking when I read this - player makes his decision, informs the team, agent gets a call afterwards and freaks out for fear of losing (7milx20%)1.4 million - ouch - I'd try to call it a personal leave of absence also. Let's all hope lou stands his ground on this one.

exactly what I was thinking when I read this -  player makes his decision, informs the team, agent gets a call afterwards and freaks out for fear of losing (7milx20%)1.4 million - ouch - I'd try to call it a personal leave of absence also.  Let's all hope lou stands his ground on this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

or, at least we hope that's what happened, and it's not a case of Lou forcing Malakhov's ass to retire.

"Defenseman Vladimir Malakhov, on the team plane home following a 4-1 loss to Carolina in Raleigh Saturday night, asked to meet with Lou Lamoriello and, according to the GM, announced he had decided to retire."

Shoot...turns out Malacough actually told Lou he decided he's retarded.

Damn language barrier...

<JESTER>

"Defenseman Vladimir Malakhov, on the team plane home following a 4-1 loss to Carolina in Raleigh Saturday night, asked to meet with Lou Lamoriello and, according to the GM, announced he had decided to retire."

Shoot...turns out Malacough actually told Lou he decided he's retarded.

Damn language barrier...

In this PC world that is not suppose to be funny.... but I can't help it...

LMFA :rofl:

Yah... this is one of those things where the player, agent and team will band each other... and a settlement will eventually be reached... but his salary is off the cap.... in Lou's mind anyway.

Brings up an interesting situation where Lou says he;'s retire, uses that space to bring in Elias and then what if it is determined the Devils have to pay some of Vlads salary and we turn out to have been over the cap...

I knew Lou would figure out how to beat this cap thing one way or the other.

Brings up an interesting situation where Lou says he;'s retire, uses that space to bring in Elias and then what if it is determined the Devils have to pay some of Vlads salary and we turn out to have been over the cap...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lou would just be forced to waive malakhov. all his "retirement" does is allow the devils not to pay him.

lou would just be forced to waive malakhov. all his "retirement" does is allow the devils not to pay him.

I'm talkng about from a future perspective..... say it takes a year of negotiatons to determine what the Devils owe him... in the meanwhile Lou will operate under the assumption that he has retired.

Guys...this is the New York/New Jersey area...remember, Lamoriello has an Italian last name...so, with that being said, Malakhov is retired, and that's final. He'll take an envelope with some cash in it, and call it a day...he's been made an offer he can't refuse, and so he'll return to Russia with some pocket change, and never look back...

Get it...

I believe there is some paperwork that a player needs to file to be "retired" - but in other sports there is a "Retired" list that players get put on for salary cap concerns.. Since there is no publicly released CBA, who the hell knows.

Guys...this is the New York/New Jersey area...remember, Lamoriello has an Italian last name...so, with that being said, Malakhov is retired, and that's final.  He'll take an envelope with some cash in it, and call it a day...he's been made an offer he can't refuse, and so he'll return to Russia with some pocket change, and never look back...

Get it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you think the New York Italian mob has anything on the Russian mafia, you're seriously deluded.

C'mon how often is Lou wrong with regards to contracts & their terms ?

Perhaps once or twice since 1987.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lou screwed up the Rafalski and Madden tendering offers after the 2000 season, which forced him to pay more than they were worth at the time.

He missed a deadline.

Lou screwed up the Rafalski and Madden tendering offers after the 2000 season, which forced him to pay more than they were worth at the time.

He missed a deadline.

And I've said repeatedly that that was his means of offering them what they were worth in his eyes without being seen as a weak bargainer. Rafalski and Madden, unlike Arnott, were "Lou's guys".