GAME THREAD: Devils @ Islanders

MadDog2020

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our defense is absolutely disgusting! You can absolutely tell tonight that a guy like Niedermayer is really, really missed!

We just don't have it...McGillis and Brown need to take a seat on the bench...at this point, I would rather take a gamble on Hale playing regular minutes...

No shot on the point...no shot...! Any way to coherse Pittsburgh to cough up Gonchar for McGillis? I know, wishful thinking...

Bright Spots...

Elias will come back before the end of the season, therefore he could sign some autographs at the games...

Unreal!

i'm telling you, i HATE this team. Derek, can you tell me how to stick with a team that continues to play uninspired, stupid hockey? these pieces of sh!t don't deserve us.

i'm disgusted. at this point, it's just laziness and stupidity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, sundstrom, it's very hard. But if you bleed Devils red and black, you have to stick with them no matter what. It could always be worse. You could be a Blues or Blue Jackets fan. You're still a game over .500 and in playoff contention despite no Elias. And you'll get him back eventually. That should be a boost.

Btw...Parise was the best forward for your team tonight. He's got talent. Now you see it when he gets actual ice-time.

If not for Brodeur, this would have been about 7 or 8-2.

this team is making me channel my inner "Get Real." I'm telling you, i'm not generally like this. i'm usually very positive and patient with this team.  but this team gives me no reason to see success.

and please don't characterize me as some no-nothing wanna-be GM who thinks that we can trade this suckfest for all new players. this team continues to frustrate the same way they always did in the past. except those would last 2 games at most. now, it's the same thing over and over again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The power play isn't going to be fixed until we hire a permanent coach. Also remember that about 3 weeks ago our power play was ranked 4th in the league. I don't like what the Devils are doing on the PP - Mogilny's cross-crease pass works in NHL98 or the year 2001, but everyone's on to it now. The Devils aren't deflecting enough pucks that do come from the defense and they don't have a big shooter anywhere on their power play. This power play should not be ranked higher than 15th in the NHL - the talent's not there.

I'm seeing signs of hope from this team - they're getting better overall even strength shifts. When that happens, a team is generally going to do better. Claiming that our wins will be a result of lucky bounces or Marty dominating is ludicrous - there's too much talent on this club for that to be the case.

Well, sundstrom, it's very hard. But if you bleed Devils red and black, you have to stick with them no matter what. It could always be worse. You could be a Blues or Blue Jackets fan. You're still a game over .500 and in playoff contention despite no Elias. And you'll get him back eventually. That should be a boost.

Btw...Parise was the best forward for your team tonight. He's got talent. Now you see it when he gets actual ice-time.

If not for Brodeur, this would have been about 7 or 8-2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Parise? The guy cannot stick handle in the zone for smack...he scored a lucky break-out goal...one that Jiri Bicek could have scored two years ago...I want to see more puck control from Parise...make guys chase you

I'm just being playful, believe me, I'm already on the 'who's a good defenseman on FA tip,' I was just joking, I just disagree with your complete demolition idea. I believe strong moves need to be made, but not drastic ones, and that I can't stand idiot-speak, like the talk on hfboards, which amounts to: "the Devils are capped out, so I think they'll trade the second best LW in the NHL to Toronto for Tie Domi......................

Parise?  The guy cannot stick handle in the zone for smack...he scored a lucky break-out goal...one that Jiri Bicek could have scored two years ago...I want to see more puck control from Parise...make guys chase you

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see a guy who gains more confidence with every shift. He uses his speed well and works hard. And he has skill. His defensive game still needs work. But the ability is there. The Devils made the right move not sending him down.

This power play should not be ranked higher than 15th in the NHL - the talent's not there. 

Claiming that our wins will be a result of lucky bounces or Marty dominating is ludicrous - there's too much talent on this club for that to be the case.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tri - you know that I agree with about 99.9% of what you write, so please don't think I'm going after you. but I was going to ask what talent you referred to at the end of your post, but you basically said at the beginning of your post what i feel which is that there is actually very little offensive talent on this team. i've asserted all year that they are a bunch of bad 2nd and good 3rd liners. they've done nothing to change my mind.

I'm just being playful, believe me, I'm already on the 'who's a good defenseman on FA tip,' I was just joking, I just disagree with your complete demolition idea.  I believe strong moves need to be made, but not drastic ones, and that I can't stand idiot-speak, like the talk on hfboards, which amounts to:  "the Devils are capped out, so I think they'll trade the second best LW in the NHL to Toronto for Tie Domi......................

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i understand that a complete demolition isn't really possible or prudent. but that's not to say that i'd be upset if there were two or three deals involving gomez, langenbrunner and rafalski being moved for new blood (and no not tie domi). get back speed. give me someone with a shot on defense (that isn't fvcking malakhov) and someone not afraid to sit in front of the net.

Tri - you know that I agree with about 99.9% of what you write, so please don't think I'm going after you. but I was going to ask what talent you referred to at the end of your post, but you basically said at the beginning of your post what i feel which is that there is actually very little offensive talent on this team. i've asserted all year that they are a bunch of bad 2nd and good 3rd liners. they've done nothing to change my mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure you think I'm equivocating - hell, I thought it too after I wrote it. But basically this team is way better 5 on 5 than it has played so far. That's always been the strength of the Devils - even Niedermayer was a way better player 5 on 5 than he ever was on the power play. While none of the Devils are particularly good on the power play, we've got guys like Gomez, Kozlov, and Gionta who should excel at even strength. Mogilny, as well. This should be a solid 5 on 5 team, and aside from some brutal turnovers tonight, they played like it. The tightness of the refs has hurt the Devils in these last two games - but it shows how well they've been playing at even strength to draw all those power plays.

I'm sure you think I'm equivocating - hell, I thought it too after I wrote it.  But basically this team is way better 5 on 5 than it has played so far.  That's always been the strength of the Devils - even Niedermayer was a way better player 5 on 5 than he ever was on the power play.  While none of the Devils are particularly good on the power play, we've got guys like Gomez, Kozlov, and Gionta who should excel at even strength.  Mogilny, as well.  This should be a solid 5 on 5 team, and aside from some brutal turnovers tonight, they played like it.  The tightness of the refs has hurt the Devils in these last two games - but it shows how well they've been playing at even strength to draw all those power plays.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too, want a bonafide center, I too want a decent pp QB, I too want, more than anything, SCORING....I'm just not sure a bunch of moves need to be made for this, instead of a few..................

Moreso than anything, though, I want to see the EGG line just once more in the 'new' NHL to see it's results, because I think it *gasp* could put the Aline to shame.................

The fact of the matter is that the Devs hang their heads too soon when going down by a goal or so...

There's no identity on the blue line...Raffy isn't putting up the numbers he's supposed to...

I'll tell you, I would have much rather have offered Nieds a little more money, as he can play both sides of the puck, rather than Raffy...

I'd love to have 'em both, but I think Nieds is the better defender....

I'll tell you, I would have much rather have offered Nieds a little more money, as he can play both sides of the puck, rather than Raffy...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do know that we did offer Niedermayer MORE money than Anaheim -- he wanted to be with his brother. No way around that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A little more what? They offered Nieds the MAX for five years. And if the Devils had kept Nieds, he could be underachieving here and Raf would be playing well on the Rangers and people would be b-ching why we didn't keep him.

You do know that we did offer Niedermayer MORE money than Anaheim -- he wanted to be with his brother. No way around that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It didn't matter how much we offered Nieds. If he didn't go to Anaheim he would have went to Vancouver or somewhere else. Niedermayer was running away no matter what at the end of the contract and he made it pretty clear in all the interviews I saw.

It didn't matter how much we offered Nieds. If he didn't go to Anaheim he would have went to Vancouver or somewhere else. Niedermayer was running away no matter what at the end of the contract and he made it pretty clear in all the interviews I saw.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...yeah but at the end of the day we offered him the max and he turned it down. That was my point.

I don't think anyone on the Devils is laughing right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bet ya a dollar Gomez is... the rest you're right about though

it's one of many things to be pissed off at him for too.... he just doesn't seem to give a damn how bad he IS playing....

Fellas, this is the first I am hearing of us offering more money to Nieds...I was under the impression that he wanted a longer term deal, and thus went to Anaheim...

These guys got themselves into this mess, and they must get themselves out of it...

Period!

Yeah well F Gomez. I'm finding it hard to consider him a Devil anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

can't agree any stronger there

I'm debating on bringing a less then friendly sign on Friday... but I'd have to carry it in this nasty weather :P

Fellas, this is the first I am hearing of us offering more money to Nieds...I was under the impression that he wanted a longer term deal, and thus went to Anaheim...

These guys got themselves into this mess, and they must get themselves out of it...

Period!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We actually offered him the max, $$$ AND years -- he just wasn't having it.