Jagr, Hasek to lead Czechs Elias left off

Rock

Jagr, Hasek to lead Czechs

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2005...1364524-cp.html

PRAGUE (CP) - Star winger Jaromir Jagr of the New York Rangers and veteran goalie Dominik Hasek of the Ottawa Senators headlined the 23-man Olympic roster announced by the Czech Republic on Thursday.

Forwards Milan Hejduk of the Colorado Avalanche, Robert Lang of the Detroit Red Wings, Ales Hemsky of the Edmonton Oilers and Nashville Predators goaltender Tomas Vokoun were also included on a star-ladden roster expected to challenge Canada for gold in Turin.

Forward Jan Bulis of the Montreal Canadiens was a surprise inclusion. He'll be making his first appearance on the Czech national team.

Jagr, Hasek, Hejduk and Lang were among eight of coach Alois Hadamczik's picks from the 1998 Olympic gold-medal team in Nagano, Japan. The others were Rangers forwards Martin Rucinsky and Martin Straka, Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Jaroslav Spacek and goaltender Milan Hnilicka.

All but one of the team play in the NHL. Only Hnilicka is from the Czech Extraliga.

New Jersey Devils winger Patrik Elias, who returned to practice this month after missing several months with hepatitis, was left off the side. (Hopefully he feels that this is probably better for him health wise.)

Senators winger Martin Havlat wasn't named because of a serious shoulder injury.

The Czechs will also miss Red Wings defenceman Jiri Fischer, who collapsed in convulsions on the bench during a NHL game against Nashville last month. It is not clear whether he will play hockey again.

Other omissions were Calgary Flames defenceman Roman Hamrlik and Edmonton Oilers right winger Radek Dvorak.

The Czech Republic will open its Olympic campaign in a game against Germany on Feb 15. At the Salt Lake City Games in 2002, the Czechs were eliminated by Russia 1-0 in the quarter-finals.

Edited by Rock

G:

Domink Hasek - Ottawa Senators

Milan Hnilicka - Bili Tygri Liberec HC

Tomas Vokoun - Nashville Predators

D:

Frantisek Kaberle - Carolina Hurricanes

Tomas Kaberle - Toronto Maple Leafs

Filip Kuba - Minnesota Wild

Pavel Kubina - Tampa Bay Lightning

Marek Malik - New York Rangers

Jaroslav Spacek - Chicago Blackhawks

Marek Zidlicky - Nashville Predators

F:

Jan Bulis - Montreal Canadiens

Petr Cajanek - St. Louis Blues

Martin Erat - Nashville Predators

Milan Hejduk - Colorado Avalanche

Ales Hemsky - Edmonton Oilers

Jaromir Jagr - New York Rangers

Robert Lang - Detroit Red Wings

Rostislav Olesz - Florida Panthers

Vaclav Prospal - Tampa Bay Lightning

Petr Prucha - New York Rangers

Martin Rucinsky - New York Rangers

Martin Straka - New York Rangers

Too bad about Elias not going :saddevil: Is he at least a reserve?

I think he wanted to go, the Olympic games would have served him more of a purpose than most precisely cause of the time he missed. I guess I don't have to root for the Czechs against anyone (well other than maybe Canada) now with four Rangers and no Elias :lol:

Ya olesz!!!

I wonder how they'll work out the goaltending...hasek or vokoun, i think they are just as good as canada in terms of goaltending. Yes they have a third line usesless guy, but vokoun and hasek have been utterly amazing this year and are very proven in terms of international play.

In the end hasek will probably get the nod because...well he's hasek. But vokoun has carried the preds into the playoffs last year and to a fight for the division title this year on a lesser talented squad...

This should be an interesting squad to watch...i think they have the potential for gold, but will end up falling short because of the inconsistent work ethic throughout the team. But jagr will probably stay jagr and no matter who's in net for them they got something great, so in the end it may not matter....

I must say, I seriously dislike the Rangers, but I forsee Petr Prucha doing a heck of a job replacing a very, very irreplaceable Patrik Elias...

Prucha reminds me a lot of Elias...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a pretty high compliment to Petr. But he deserves it. He just continues to work his butt off every game. He had another diving goal tonight which helped the Rangers break their power play drought. He just gives such great effort. Plays bigger than his size and has the skill to go with it.

Glad to see Malik on the squad. What a smart defenseman.

The advantage the Czechs have is they possess two of the top five netminders in the NHL right now. When he's on, nobody's better than Hasek. And Vokoun as insurance. Yikes.

If there is one country who can stop Canada, it's the Czechs. Just imagine if they had Elias and Havlat.