Todd Bertuzzi Olympic Selection

Mitico12

OK, many of us are surprised to see Bertuzzi getting selected over guys like Spezza, Crosby, and Staal...

But here's my theory, do you think that Team Canada officials may have considered selecting Bertuzzi to the Canadian Olympic team giving the "Italian-ness" of his last name? I mean, the games are being played in Italy, and Bertuzzi may have significant "PR" value in Italy (especially considering that no one there knows what he did to Steve Moore), and could probably give Italy the idea that Italians are indeed hockey players?

Long shot theory, but just wanted to figure out your thoughts...

Cheers.

You really think that Italian are that stupid ?

Hockey fan from everywhere know Todd Bertuzzi and this story with Moore...

Italian fan doesn't need to see a "zzi" in a name to be fan of the player...

And maybe more important , Team Canada doesn't need public support... They are stronger, better, gnia gnia gnia than others teams

And I will love to have Todd in a devils jersey

reeeeaally love it !

Fellas, I travel to Italy a lot, and their own league doesn't even have a web site, therefore I highly doubt the Italians know about it...

At least there are two Italian/Canadians on the team (one on the taxi squad)...Jason Spezza and Roberto Luongo...

The Islanders messed up trading Luongo, Spezza, and Chara...

Italy will be destroyed against Canada...guaranteed...

PS...I think Gio is Italian/American too...

Maybe they picked Bertuzzi cause they think he is a good player.

Im sure people in Italy.. just like those in France and England etc.. read up on the internet and find out about things.. maybe it didnt cause as much of a buzz tehre as here.. but I am sure people know of it.

Mark Recchi is Italian/Canadian...I hope the American team gets the best cooks there...the Canadians will get a British cook

PS...when the Italian national soccer team plays abroad they bring their own cooks, own food, own pots, and own pans...they take over the hotel kitchen...it's an amazing operation!

Hockey CAnada did not miss out by not selecting Crosby, he was not chosen because of a lack of experience, he'll be there in 2010

DevsFan26- you make a good point, but I believe to appeal to the "broader" non-NHL following audience, team Canada may have selected Bertuzzi to appeal to the public...

Maybe they'll show him on Italian TV having a pizza eating competition...

Who knows...the possibilites are endless...

I think it's more likely that Team Canada assembled a team designed to win a gold medal than to appeal to Italians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently, according the CP, Bertuzzi's selection is a very big controversy in Canada...especially among hockey enthusiasts!

First of all Spezza, Crosby and Staal are all centers, Bertuzzi's a RW.

Second off, Canada wants to win the gold the way most of us want to breathe. They don't care what anyone else thinks, they wouldn't choose someone if they didn't think they were the best person to help them win - proof that the Canadiens don't give a damn what other people think is by their selecting Bertuzzi in the first place. And none of these countries would ever agree to let the Olympic committee have a hand in choosing their own team much less Canada.

The Piazza thing is a lot different, he's a lot more Italian (to me) than Bertuzzi is, plus MLB's trying to pimp up publicity for this asinine World Cup any way they can, the Olympics don't need any more publicity.

Apparently, according the CP, Bertuzzi's selection is a very big controversy in Canada...especially among hockey enthusiasts!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's pretty big here, really what's the fuss? It's just human nature to sit around and analyze other peoples decisions i guess..... :D

I think it's more likely that Team Canada assembled a team designed to win a gold medal than to appeal to Italians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it was JUST to appeal to Italians...lol.. :P

Next time the team will be made up of only really goodlooking guys to appeal to the women fans.. :P:boogie: Cannot wait for that!!!

I personally think that he shouldn't be allowed to play hockey at the international level, NHL level, AHL level, ECHL level, garage league pick-up level, on the pond back in the woods with his family..... until Moore is back on NHL ice.

I personally think that he shouldn't be allowed to play hockey at the international level, NHL level, AHL level, ECHL level, garage league pick-up level, on the pond back in the woods with his family..... until Moore is back on NHL ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's an absolutely absurd standard of justice. Moore wasn't even a good player when he was healthy - who's going to sign him now?

The NHL bylaws aren't the Code of Hammurabi.

That's an absolutely absurd standard of justice.  Moore wasn't even a good player when he was healthy - who's going to sign him now?

Bertuzzi should have thought of that *BEFORE* ruining Moore's chance at making a living playing hockey.

The NHL bylaws aren't the Code of Hammurabi.

Normally, I don't believe in the death penalty, but in Todd's case...

Triumph- definitely, if we are comparing player to player, then Bertuzzi and Moore cannot be compared. However, taking into consideration the human element of the matter, Moore is just as entitled to be treated humanely as is Bertuzzi...

I mean, think about it, the ASPCA will send you to jail if you hurt a dog or cat, why should now Bertuzzi be treated differently for maiming another human being...your argument simply does not hold water...

Chiamaira...British food cannot be compared to Italian food...are you kidding me? ;-)

Triumph-  definitely, if we are comparing player to player, then Bertuzzi and Moore cannot be compared.  However, taking into consideration the human element of the matter, Moore is just as entitled to be treated humanely as is Bertuzzi...

I mean, think about it, the ASPCA will send you to jail if you hurt a dog or cat, why should now Bertuzzi be treated differently for maiming another human being...your argument simply does not hold water...

Chiamaira...British food cannot be compared to Italian food...are you kidding me? ;-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don's argument was that Bertuzzi should not be allowed to play until Moore returns to the NHL. Well, Moore wasn't a very good NHLer, so it's not likely he will return even if he becomes healthy.

Dogs and cats cannot agree to hurt one another like hockey players do. Clearly much of what goes on in hockey constitutes assault, and while Bertuzzi deserves all the legal action he's gotten on this case, he does not deserve the same jail time as someone who performs the same assault off the ice surface.