You're OTHER favorite teams......

annabelle

Manitoba Moose and since i'm a diehard Moose girl, obviously the CAnucks :whistling: After watching the Nucks game tonight i'm very pleased with the ice time Kevin Bieksa is getting...

NBA..anyone other than the Raptors and the Nets..( cannot stand Carter, his insessant whining and his mom!!) GO SPURS!!!!

NFL- Cowboys baby!!

I like the Canadiens.

Honestly put any hockey game on and I'll watch it. I was even watching HS hockey on TV last night...lots of teammates bumping into each other and falling over, but it was still fun.

My favorite international team though is the Cologne Sharks.

I guess if I had to pick a football team, it would be the Giants, but I dunno. I don't really like football all that much, so it's really a moo point ( :lol: ).

I like the Suns when it comes to basketball.

St. John's Redmen- I go back to that '85 Final Four team. Mullin and Berry.

Miami Hurricanes- it's 20 years now. That game against Penn State where Testaverde sucked still irks me.

Yankees- Don Mattingly ruled back then. Loved Winfield and Willie Randolph as well.

Giants- The 17-0 NFC title domination over the Skins is still my favorite moment. The Super Bowls come next as well as that clutch Matt Bahr FG at Candlestick when nobody gave them a chance and the damn 49ers had shirts printed already.

Knicks- Remember the fun days of the Ewing era with Louis Orr, Ken Bannister, Bill Cartwright, Trent Tucker, Gerald Wilkins, Ernie Grunfield, Pat Cummings, Mark Jackson and my all-time favorite Knick Bernard King? Or how about the Bom Squad? Bring it back.

OT Tennis: The sport I've followed the longest. I can still remember a classic U.S. Open semi between McEnroe and Connors. They had this awesome volley which Mac put away. He went on to win and then beat Lendl for his final Open title. Think the last slam too sadly.

Fave players aside from Mac and Jimmy:

Becker- still my all-time favorite. Youngest man to ever win Wimbledon at age 17 unseeded over Kevin Curran.

Agassi- remember he was joking during his French Open semi match against Wilander in '88 as a teenager. And I was like, 'Who is this guy?' Grew into a winner. Nobody worked harder to improve their game. Last couple of Open matches with Sampras will never be forgotten. Too bad he won't play in Melbourne.

Edberg- his clashes with Becker at Wimbledon I still have on tape. And his serve-and-volley game was classic to watch. Dominated for a two-year period here.

Ivanisevic- what a fun player to watch. So unpredictable with the big serves. Had solid volley game and very underrated groundstrokes. It's amazing he only won one slam with his amazing run at Wimbledon a few years ago in two classics against Henman and Rafter to win it. And the personality was top notch. Goran used to refer to himself as "The Good Goran" and "The Bad Goran." Classic.

Graf- such a phenomenal player. Lethal forehand and was clutch at slams.

Seles- if not for a crazed German in Hamburgh, Monica would have passed Graf and won god knows how many majors. The gripes about grunting were overblown.

Sabitini- she had a good baseline game. Only won one major ('90 Open). Fun to watch.

Navratilola- I didn't root for her as a kid because I liked Chris Evert. But Martina's serve and volley game on the women's side was unrivaled. Too bad no one plays that style today.

Hingis- Her comeback is great for tennis. She is not one of those power players which dominate the women's game. She is smart out there. I hope her comeback is a success. It's great to have some variety back.

I could name a lot more from today but what's the point? I probably bored people with this. :rofl:

St. John's Redmen- I go back to that '85 Final Four team. Mullin and Berry.

Miami Hurricanes- it's 20 years now. That game against Penn State where Testaverde sucked still irks me.

Yankees- Don Mattingly ruled back then. Loved Winfield and Willie Randolph as well.

Giants- The 17-0 NFC title domination over the Skins is still my favorite moment. The Super Bowls come next as well as that clutch Matt Bahr FG at Candlestick when nobody gave them a chance and the damn 49ers had shirts printed already.

Knicks- Remember the fun days of the Ewing era with Louis Orr, Ken Bannister, Bill Cartwright, Trent Tucker, Gerald Wilkins, Ernie Grunfield, Pat Cummings, Mark Jackson and my all-time favorite Knick Bernard King? Or how about the Bom Squad? Bring it back.

OT Tennis: The sport I've followed the longest. I can still remember a classic U.S. Open semi between McEnroe and Connors. They had this awesome volley which Mac put away. He went on to win and then beat Lendl for his final Open title. Think the last slam too sadly.

Fave players aside from Mac and Jimmy:

Becker- still my all-time favorite. Youngest man to ever win Wimbledon at age 17 unseeded over Kevin Curran.

Agassi- remember he was joking during his French Open semi match against Wilander in '88 as a teenager. And I was like, 'Who is this guy?' Grew into a winner. Nobody worked harder to improve their game. Last couple of Open matches with Sampras will never be forgotten. Too bad he won't play in Melbourne.

Edberg- his clashes with Becker at Wimbledon I still have on tape. And his serve-and-volley game was classic to watch. Dominated for a two-year period here.

Ivanisevic- what a fun player to watch. So unpredictable with the big serves. Had solid volley game and very underrated groundstrokes. It's amazing he only won one slam with his amazing run at Wimbledon a few years ago in two classics against Henman and Rafter to win it. And the personality was top notch. Goran used to refer to himself as "The Good Goran" and "The Bad Goran." Classic.

Graf- such a phenomenal player. Lethal forehand and was clutch at slams.

Seles- if not for a crazed German in Hamburgh, Monica would have passed Graf and won god knows how many majors. The gripes about grunting were overblown.

Sabitini- she had a good baseline game. Only won one major ('90 Open). Fun to watch.

Navratilola- I didn't root for her as a kid because I liked Chris Evert. But Martina's serve and volley game on the women's side was unrivaled. Too bad no one plays that style today.

Hingis- Her comeback is great for tennis. She is not one of those power players which dominate the women's game. She is smart out there. I hope her comeback is a success. It's great to have some variety back.

I could name a lot more from today but what's the point? I probably bored people with this. :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to love watching tennis when I lived in England Derek, especially Wimbledon, but I can't believe you didn't mention Bjorn Borg ???

Or is that a little before your time ???

I used to love watching tennis when I lived in England Derek, especially Wimbledon, but I can't believe you didn't mention Bjorn Borg ???

Or is that a little before your time ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, it was a little before my time. I was only 3-4 years old when Borg and McEnroe had some of their epic matches.

Just from the highlights I've seen of that ridiculous Wimbledon final and Open one, I have a solid appreciation for Bjorn Borg. You want to talk about a dominant player. Borg was one of the most dominant to ever play. In a 4-5 year period, he won 11 slams. A remarkable achievement. He was supreme.

Roger Federer has that flair today but his game took longer to develop. Hopefully, he won't get bored.

CFL: Toronto Argos. I'll hope for Ottawa when they prove they truely are interested in putting a competative team on the field. Like, by at least WINNING A PLAYOFF GAME!!

NFL: I grew up watching the Patriots in Nova Scotia *AND* they have the man (Doug Flutie - my all time favorite football player). I also pull for the Colts because of Vanderjagt.

NBA: I don't watch much basketball, but if the Suns are in the playoffs I pull for them.

Baseball: Expos. Screw MLB.

Tennis: I guess it's a team sport if you are playing doubles. Since Chang is gone, Agassi. And Capriatti. And obviously Knowles/Nestor in doubles.

Junior hockey:

- WHL: Calgary Hitmen

- OHL: Ottawa 67s

- Q: Halifax Mooseheads

We should have a "teams you DISlike thread". :)

Edited by Don

NFL and NHL: I think most of you know that by now....23 years of suffering with the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres may have taken a few months off my life! :lol:

Reason: My father is from Buffalo, he lived there for 25 years after my parents split, so Buffalo is a 2nd home to me.

College Football: Penn State

Reason: When I was a kid growing up in South River, NJ, there was a player who played for Penn State in the early 80s who was an All-American WR, Kenny Jackson, who is from South River NJ. Kenny used to bring pennants, shirts etc to a old neighbor of mine in the neighborhood, and she gave me some of the stuff kenny brought to give to her neighbors, thus, a Penn State fan was born :D

College Basketball: St John's Redmen

Reason: Grandfather attended there, grew up watching them, an alum myself along with Derek21 :D

NBA: New York Knicks

Reason: When Mark Jackson left St John's, I told myself whomever drafts him will be my new team. As of now, Im not even sure why I root for them! :doh1:

MLB: New York Yankee$

Reason: Watching many games with my Dad when I was a kid brought me to the 'dark $ide"

Others:

Horce Racing: Jackie Mosiyev, Trotter

Reason: As a 21-1 shot, won a race that propelled me to win a $1400 trifecta at Freehold Raceway! :lol:

Edited by LOTCB

NBA: I was always a Nets fan but the last few seasons I have become a big Raptors fan too so I am split between the two. I love watching the Raptors play and don't usually miss any games.

NFL: Huge Carolina Panthers Fan. I have went through a lot of suffering with this team including a 1-15 year. It is really great to see them winning. Hopefully they will win today!

MLB: Was always a Tigers fan but just like the Raptors in the past few years became a Toronto Blue Jays fan. I am starting to give some love to the Canadian teams.

Tennis: Was always a Pat Rafter fan. I was devastated when he lost in back to back Wimbleton Finals but I loved watching his game. Now that he is retired I don't have a favourite.

Golf: I have to go with the Canadian Mike Weir. Although lately it seems he has lost his game.

Edited by devilsrule33

As many of you know I'm older than most of the posters on the board (We didn't have these new fangled contraptions as satellite feeds and the internet.) :P So I rooted for the local teams.

NY Giants GO BIG BLUE!

If and when I root for baseball NY Yankees

When I rooted for basketball NY Knicks. The Nets were in existence back then. I didn't like them so I didn't switch over as I did for the Devils.

CFL: Toronto Argos. I'll hope for Ottawa when they prove they truely are interested in putting a competative team on the field. Like, by at least WINNING A PLAYOFF GAME!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least your team MADE the damn playoffs....unlike the BOMBERS!! Fvck last season was brutal!!! We're actually buying Bombers season tix just to see the Grey Cup........

On a sad note they have started tearing down the old Winnipeg Arena...ahhh many fond memories of booing the Jets in there and being drunk underage at many a concerts with my older cousins....

I can only use one hand so I won't post my reasons.

MLB: Yankees

NHL: Devils

NBA: Nets

NFL: Cheer for my fantasy team, partial to the Giants

MLS: Metrostars

NASCAR: Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Tennis: Maria Sharapova, Daniela Hantuchova, Tatiana Golovin, Andy Roddick

College: Mount Saint Mary's (Div 1 school in Maryland)

MLB: Yankees. I am a fourth generation Yankee fan. There was one rule in my parents house, you root for the Yankees.

NFL: Football Giants. Again, long family tradition of Big Blue fans.

College FB: Michigan. Growing up I rooted for whoever was on TV and more often than not that was Michigan. I went to a small Division III school so I contunue to support the Maize and Blue.

College BB: UConn. When I was 10 the Sweet 16/Elite 8 was at the Meadowlands and my father took me and my brother. That was the first basketball games I ever saw live. That was the game that Tate George hit a last second shot to beat Clemson.

English Soccer: Arsenal. When I was really young and watched the English soccer highlights show I thought how stupid names like "Leeds" and "United" were for sports teams. Where were real names like Giants and Devils? Arsenal sounded like a real team.

CHL: Peterborough Petes. Gotta support a team named after me! :evil:

I see Don's still mad at his Toronto team not scoring a point once the game was put on at Don Cherry's :lol:

I don't call myself a "fan" of a lot of teams... I only consider myself a "fan" of:

NHL: Devils

NFL: Cowboys

WWE Wrestlers: Kurt Angle, Booker T... hell anyone else who does the total bad ass so you'll hate me schtick (current example is Edge, his anti-Flair stuff is gold!!).... I like the bad guys... can't ya tell ?? :P

Really.. that's IT.... I gave up baseball after the 94 Strike and you'd have to pry my eyes open in the ClockWork Orange Chair to get me to watch the NBA (but I smile each morning I hear about the Knicks losing.... for someone who lives 30 years in NYC I grew a MASSIVE anti-NY-Sports Fan hatred :P)

Other teams I'll follow, but don't call myself a fan of.... I guess it's a casual following:

NHL: Ottawa (Hasek makes it HARD too), Vancouver, Calgary (I got on that bandwagon when I saw Oliwa score a BREAKAWAY goal sometime in like December 2003!), Nashville (I like Terry Crisp in the booth).. and whoever is playing the Ducks :P

NFL: Tennesse (Titans are a tough well coached team who I hope get it turned around fast), whoever's on my defending champion NJDevs Fantasy football team !! :lol:.. and eerrr... there's always some team I get wrapped up in through the playoffs which is prolly why I am so blah on this year's playoffs... cause I ain't got one)

errr... I think I'm done

start the teams we hate thread dammit :P

Manitoba Moose and since i'm a diehard Moose girl, obviously the CAnucks  :whistling:  After watching the Nucks game tonight i'm very pleased with the ice time Kevin Bieksa is getting...

NBA..anyone other than the Raptors and the Nets..( cannot stand Carter, his insessant whining and his mom!!) GO SPURS!!!!

NFL- Cowboys baby!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MLB: Yankees.

NFL: Giants, I guess. (Not really a die-hard fan by a long shot.)

NBA: Hate the sport. I have no answer.

College Football: Rutgers.

OK Before I give my answers I have a question...

How can you be a fan of 2 teams in the same league?? Seriously I DONOT GET IT!!!

OK here go:

MLB: NY YAnkees.. its real simple i grew w/ my father and granfather telling me stroies about Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Joey D, Mantle Rizzutto, Maris Berra, how could I not be a yankee fan??

NBA - Nets - did not really follow the NBA at all until Kenny Andersaon and Drazen Petrovic became nets... almost Cried the night i hear Petro was killed in a car accident

NFL: Jets I guess I must feel the need to toruture myself... Was a cowbay fan growing up - When Jimmy Johnson got chased out I got pissed and dropped the team just like that!!!

MLS - Metros although they absolutely suck.. honestly MLS is like 2nd or 3rd division soccer in europe its sad!!

Other soccer: No real favorites although i do try to follow the american players as much as possible...

NASCAR - Herbie!!!

Wrestling- Road Warriors, Torrie Y2J & Raven ( Brash I was not happy that the Duddley's campared them selves to the Warriors the other night....)

PGA - Mickleson

Tennis - Anna

Wrestling- Road Warriors, Torrie Y2J & Raven ( Brash I was not happy that the Duddley's campared them selves to the Warriors the other night....)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YOU SPELLED MY NAME WRONG BASTARD !!!!!! :P

The Dudleys do have a point though... to be fair I almost discount the Dudley WCW Title reign since it happened in the WWF, but still with all they've done.... it's a shame we'll never get to see a Dudley/Road Warrior match with both teams in their prime... it would have been SICK

YOU SPELLED MY NAME WRONG BASTARD !!!!!! :P

The Dudleys do have a point though... to be fair I almost discount the Dudley WCW Title reign since it happened in the WWF, but still with all they've done.... it's a shame we'll never get to see a Dudley/Road Warrior match with both teams in their prime... it would have been SICK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spelled it right... typed it wrong :noclue:

Don;t get me wrong I love the Dudley's .. their wars w/ the Hardy's and Edge & Chritian were classics!!!

BTW Why did WWE kill the hardcore titile?? that 24/7 thing was awesome.. seemed like the hardcore title chacnged hands every 5 minutes!!!

Spelled it right... typed it wrong :noclue:

Don;t get me wrong I love the Dudley's .. their wars w/ the Hardy's and Edge & Chritian were classics!!!

BTW Why did WWE kill the hardcore titile??  that 24/7 thing was awesome.. seemed like the hardcore title chacnged hands every 5 minutes!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same thing :P

They killed the Hardcore title cause back then there was a zillion belts running around (WWF/WCW/I-C/US/Euro AND Hardcore)... all you had to be was on TV and you had a title !!!! :blink:

The only way a title like that works now is that it would have to jump from show to show... which would be kinda fun.... but I don't know how serious you could take it and it MIGHT get old fast......