American Idol 2006

Weekes Head

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't look like there's much love for Taylor in here. What's up with that?

I had faith in him during auditions, but I'm absolutely sold on the guy after Wednesday's performance. He really nailed it.

Plus, he's not what your typical "American Idol" looks like, so I'd love to see him win.

Doesn't look like there's much love for Taylor in here. What's up with that?

I had faith in him during auditions, but I'm absolutely sold on the guy after Wednesday's performance. He really nailed it.

Plus, he's not what your typical "American Idol" looks like, so I'd love to see him win.

I said I liked him... the spastic guy :D

Me either... Patrick got eliminated though

THAT GUY DOES NOT LOOK LIKE CLAY AIKEN! A poor man's Sean Penn, maybe, but not Clay Aiken.

I said I liked him... the spastic guy :D

THAT GUY DOES NOT LOOK LIKE CLAY AIKEN! A poor man's Sean Penn, maybe, but not Clay Aiken.

I know.. I didnt say he looked like clay :)

I see sean penn more then clay for sure.

My take on the women:

ayla.jpg

Ayla: One of my favorite performances of the night. I think she's probably going to end up being my favorite of the women, she has a good personality (her teaser about not knowing what foundation was cute) and her voice is only getting better and better. No way she's voted off this week.

brenna.jpg

Brenna: Awful performance, awful personality. There's a fine line between confidence and cockiness. She's just outright cocky, and she doesn't have much to even be cocky about. She's gotta go.

heather.jpg

Heather: Mariah Carey was a dumb choice, but she took a shot. I don't think she'll be voted off this week, but I don't see her lasting ALL that much longer. She's somewhat forgettable.

katharine.jpg

Katharine: Disappointing. She had one of the top performances last week, and she was B-O-R-I-N-G tonight. I don't think she should be worried yet, though. There were worse than her.

kellie.jpg

Kellie: Okay, I'll admit it -- I *really* thought she was cute tonight, and I agreed with the judges on her, particularly Simon; she can be likeable, but her voice is average. I think the likeability factor probably will help her for a while, but I don't see her winning the whole thing, not even close.

kinnik.jpg

Kinnik: Forgettable. I didn't remember her performance last week, and I probably won't remember this one either. I think she might be in trouble this week.

lisa.jpg

Lisa: I really like her. The song started out a little off, but she came on strong and finished it off pretty well. I also really liked her outfit, nothing flashy -- just a wifebeater and jeans. She's dressing her age (or what her age SHOULD be dressing like).

mandisa.jpg

Mandisa: She was pretty good. Not the best, but damn she's powerful. She's going to go far, without a doubt.

melissa.jpg

Melissa: I thought it was a good performance, but there's something about her I don't like. Maybe it's her weird eyebrows, I dunno.

paris.jpg

Paris: Not as good as last week, and I do agree that she needs to start singing a bit more into her time instead of such old songs. I'd like to see how she'd do with an Alicia Keys or Erika Badu song.

I agree with RD pretty mcuh about how the signing went. I bounce Brenna and Kinnick if I am in charge. Tonight's ep was really a train wreck. The only thing that saved it for entertainment purposes was Paula. She was very clearly on something.

I agree with RD pretty mcuh about how the signing went. I bounce Brenna and Kinnick if I am in charge. Tonight's ep was really a train wreck. The only thing that saved it for entertainment purposes was Paula. She was very clearly on something.

Yeah I agree with your picks on who gets the boot. I was going to wait to make all of my predicitons until the guys were done tomorrow, but I might as well say my women's choices -- if it were up to me, Brenna and Kinnik get booted. Tonight wasn't an especially good night, it was overall average. I think the guys are more talented this year.

Average might be too kind, Petey's train wreck assessment was closer :lol: Ayla, Mandisa and Melissa were the only ones I liked, Heather and Lisa were okay I suppose, in general there were a lot of really forgettable - awful performances tonight though IMO. I can't really make any predictions over who'll get booted, but I don't think the three I mentioned - or Kellie, Paris or Lisa will get dumped.

Edited by Hasan4978

:noclue: I don't think it was a train-wreck, and I do think the judges were a little too critical tonight. This is only the second performance for these girls on national tv, they're still working out the nervous kinks and whatnot. I didn't really hear an outright awful performance aside from Brenna, I thought average really suited the show best. There were few standouts tonight, sure, but I dunno, I think people are too hard on the contestants early on just because they're so accustomed to hearing and seeing Top 12 material. This is still the begining, and these people still need to work on not being so nervous and whatnot. Beyond week four, a show like this could be considered a train wreck, but right now I'm not going to be THAT hard on them.

Well point taken but part of it is I'm a harder mark when it comes to songs I've heard a thousand times before, like the one Kellie sang. If I'd never heard it before I'd probably think it was better but since I hear it a gillion times on the radio it's harder to impress me by doing that. Someone else this week (can't remember who) did a song I know somewhat and wasn't all that great. That was part of my problem with Becky last week as well.

OTOH I've heard some pretty good renditions of songs I'm either used to or like, so I'm not an impossible marker ;) And yes the judges were pretty hard with a 'couple' of them, but what else is new :P

Edited by Hasan4978

I thought the girls as a whole were pretty mediocre. But I do agree with RD that the judges slammed on some of them a bit too much, which kinda proves my point that they so want a WHITE MALE to win. :lol:

Case in point, Ayla and Melissa. I believed they were among the best of the night (not GREAT by any means, but decent) and the judges critiqued them almost as much as some of the others who legitimately sucked! :puke: And they seemed to go easy on those like Lisa, Paristasia, and Kellie Picklehead when it came to their weak vocals.

(Is it just me or did Paris seem to sing most of that song in too low a key? It sounded like sh!t!!!! I assumed she was doing this to hit the high notes, so she didn't sound like a helium chipmunk, but the rest of the song was horrid. I don't recall the judges saying ANYTHING about this!!!!)

I reaaaaaaally hope the guys are better tonight. :lol:

I thought the girls as a whole were pretty mediocre. But I do agree with RD that the judges slammed on some of them a bit too much, which kinda proves my point that they so want a WHITE MALE to win. :lol:

Well, let's see here:

Season 1 - White female wins, pseudo-white male runner-up.

Season 2 - Black male wins, white male comes in second but enjoys much more success in the real world.

Season 3 - Black female wins, white female runner-up.

Season 4 - White female wins, white male runner-up.

It wouldn't surprise me if they truly were trying to rig it so that a white male wins this year -- after all, they've more or less engineered the results every other year so far -- but at the same time, I think a white male is due to win it all anyway. And I wouldn't mind seeing Paris or Mandisa come in second.

I think this is the guys' year, and we'll see tonight if the judges really are grooming a guy to win or not. If the guys pull out performances like the ladies did last night and the judges AREN'T overly-critical like they were last night, I'll definitely not hesitate to say the fix is in for a guy to win. We'll see though, but I *do* agree that it seems like AI wants a man (specifically white male) to win.

Well, let's see here:

Season 1 - White female wins, pseudo-white male runner-up.

Season 2 - Black male wins, white male comes in second but enjoys much more success in the real world.

Season 3 - Black female wins, white female runner-up.

Season 4 - White female wins, white male runner-up.

It wouldn't surprise me if they truly were trying to rig it so that a white male wins this year -- after all, they've more or less engineered the results every other year so far -- but at the same time, I think a white male is due to win it all anyway. And I wouldn't mind seeing Paris or Mandisa come in second.

All the more reason they probably really want a white male to win is that when you look at the previous winners, the only TRUE successful winner has been a white female. I think by getting a white male to win, they'll somewhat come full circle and will have their best shot at mainstream success.

When you look at the winners, how successful in mainstream have they been?

Season 1: Kelly Clarkson -- she's won multiple HUGE awards (ie Grammy, VMA), she broke out and has had huge success. However, when she was under the reigns of AI, she was looked at as somewhat of a joke. It wasn't until she broke free that she became the superstar she is today.

Season 2: Ruben Studdard -- He had that one single that was remotely successful in mainstream, but really hasn't done much else. He was supposed to do that whole weight-loss campaign but aborted not even weeks into the project. Where is he now?

Season 3: Fantasia -- She's been pretty successful in the BET world, when I'm flipping through the channels I often see her on the channel and she does have some R&B success, but I don't think I've ever heard a song of hers really circulate through the radio aside from R&B stations. Not really a mainstream artist.

Season 4: Carrie Underwood -- The jury is out, but I don't really think she'll end up being a mainstream pop artist. She's probably going to appeal to the country fans, and maybe a Z100-type station will pick up a song or two of her, but I don't think we'll see music videos galore on MTV nor do I think we'll hear her all over the radio.

So, if AI has a shot at another gem, they probably should go for a white male. However, it can be argued that AI didn't really mold Kelly to be who she is NOW, rather, they were the foundation of her success. I think they can pull out another mainstream pop star, but with the crops they have now, it's going to have to be a white male. I could see Ace probably as their top choice.

All the more reason they probably really want a white male to win is that when you look at the previous winners, the only TRUE successful winner has been a white female. I think by getting a white male to win, they'll somewhat come full circle and will have their best shot at mainstream success.

When you look at the winners, how successful in mainstream have they been?

Season 1: Kelly Clarkson -- she's won multiple HUGE awards (ie Grammy, VMA), she broke out and has had huge success. However, when she was under the reigns of AI, she was looked at as somewhat of a joke. It wasn't until she broke free that she became the superstar she is today.

Season 2: Ruben Studdard -- He had that one single that was remotely successful in mainstream, but really hasn't done much else. He was supposed to do that whole weight-loss campaign but aborted not even weeks into the project. Where is he now?

Season 3: Fantasia -- She's been pretty successful in the BET world, when I'm flipping through the channels I often see her on the channel and she does have some R&B success, but I don't think I've ever heard a song of hers really circulate through the radio aside from R&B stations. Not really a mainstream artist.

Season 4: Carrie Underwood -- The jury is out, but I don't really think she'll end up being a mainstream pop artist. She's probably going to appeal to the country fans, and maybe a Z100-type station will pick up a song or two of her, but I don't think we'll see music videos galore on MTV nor do I think we'll hear her all over the radio.

So, if AI has a shot at another gem, they probably should go for a white male. However, it can be argued that AI didn't really mold Kelly to be who she is NOW, rather, they were the foundation of her success. I think they can pull out another mainstream pop star, but with the crops they have now, it's going to have to be a white male. I could see Ace probably as their top choice.

I've never heard Fantasia on mainstream stations, not once!! She must be only on the urban stations that play r and b, hip hop, and rap. I'm kinda glad for that though, cus' I can't stand listening to her screeching voice. :lol: Ruben is going to have a smaller niche too given his style of music - r and b and gospel??? Not everyone enjoys it. Plus he's so morbidly obese I just can't see this guy substaining his career for long - he's already had health scares.

As for Carrie, I think those in charge knew that she'd mainly appeal to the country market but she's already sold over 2 million albums.... so she'll make them $$$$ even if she stays country, since country music has a big fanbase all over the country (yes, even in the Northeast to some degree!). Maybe she'll cross over into the country-pop realm in the future like Shania and Faith Hill did.

The ironic thing about Kelly Clarkson being the most successful Idol EVER of ANY Idol competition in the world is that the dumbass producers never even wanted her to win!! They wanted Tamyra to be the victor! :lol: That just goes to show they don't know sh!t sometimes, as far as what the public wants. I really wish they'd ease up on the pimpage with certain contestants, even with those I like. Season 1 had a bit less of that manipulation and it all worked out - the fans DID vote for the BEST, without it being shoved down their throat every second! Of course, I had to endure the Tamyra Love Fest for a while before she went bye bye.... but it was still nothing compared to recent seasons.

I think Ace is their man this year, and Chris if Ace falters. Both have appeal, just to different fanbases I guess (depends if you go for "boy-band-pop-r and b" or "alternative-rock"). Taylor or one of those teens like Will might be the back up back up plan. The reason I don't think they want ANY non-white dude winning is cus look at who they chose.....

1) Bobby Bennett :lol:

2) Gedeon - scary Joker type smile, not a horrid singer but nothing that makes you go "wow", huge ego and annoying personality. He'll be LUCKY to make the top 12.

3) Sway - uh, no. Sings like he's been castrated, and doesn't sing WELL as it is. Very bland r and b sound with crappy vocals. He might squeak into the Top 12 if Gedeon doesn't (if the show feels like they HAVE to have at least one non white dude in the Top 12.. the judges pimp his ass too much for my liking).

I pray to god PARIS isn't in their plans to win if a few of the top guys doesn't pan out, cus I can't tolerate her!!!!! It's like Mantasia all over again. :rolleyes: Yeah, I know she doesn't sing EXACTLY the same way but it's the whole package that's irritating the fvck out of me. :lol:

Edited by RD

I think that if a girl DID win it, production would gun for Lisa, not Paris. Lisa has the likeability factor that Paris doesn't really have. Depending on how Ayla does in the next few weeks, should could also be a threat in the competition.

I've heard Fantasia played a few times on the radio stations around here, I think Z100 played on of her songs a couple times when it first came out and then it dropped off the face of the planet. She's built a pretty good rep in the R&B world, but no way she'll be mainstream.

Ruben is just done, IMO. I agree that his weight really is going to prevent him from ever really doing anything. No way he can handle all the touring, studio time, press time, etc. It'll be too much stress on his body. He needs to lose weight or his health, not just his career is in jeopardy.

Yeah, Carrie is doing well in the country realm, and I think that's best for her and AI. I don't see her as a potential crossover like Faith Hill, but stranger things have happened.

I wouldn't want Paris to win on principle, to me the show's not about people like her, with her lineage she can always get opportunities. In theory the show's about giving someone a chance that wouldn't ordinarily get one. I doubt she'll win anyway cause it seems to be set up for the white male to win as others have alluded to, though she'll definitely hang around a while :P

I still love Chris.

I cant help he.. he has not picked a song yet that I dont like and he seems to pick groups that I absolutely was or am obsessed with...

i dunno..i jsut like him...and its not the vin diesel look alike thing that is doing it for me.

I missed taylor but in the recap it didnt seem so good.

I really think the crooner kid and the other young one (who was so excited about meeting justin - duh) are not too safe.. and i have not been a fan of sway yet.. even though they enjoyed it last week,

I still LOVE the guys compared to the girls this year.

I also like Bucky a bit.. hes not outstanding to me.. and i know he wont win..but i just think he is funny.

They actually like ACe a lot more then I did tonight.. I didnt think it sounded so good at all... and I like ACE... but they still werent too harsh considering I thought it was nto even close to what he was capable of.

I think Chris is the man this year. Even if he doesn't win he will be popular. He is just a dependable hard rock singer.

Which is why I wonder what he's doing on the show in the first place. I feel like people who are consistently into his style of singing are not so much American Idol's fanbase, unless he wants to be a latter-day Bon Jovi, and really, isn't one enough?

Okay, I just saw the performances...here is my take:

ace.jpg

Ace: Eh. I didn't think it was even HALF as good as last week. Disappointing. I think Simon was right, he sang a song that was too difficult for him. The other judges seemed to LOVE it though, which just confirms our thoughts that Idol is gunning for a white male to win.

bucky.jpg

Bucky: Pretty good -- he started out kinda blah, but he hit it at the end, I think he'll be fine this week.

chris.jpg

Chris: I LOVE Chris, and I thought the performance was good, but I didn't think it was incredible; I didn't even think it was the best of the night. I have a problem with the way he shakes his voice, it's kind of annoying. If he didn't do that, I wouldn't hesitate to say it was the best song of the night.

david.jpg

David: Poor David looks like he's going to cry everytime the judges give their comments. I think he really should get the boot soon, not because I don't LIKE him, but because I feel BAD for him. He gets absolutely torn to shreds every week, and I don't see the judges easing up on him anytime soon. He's just not a fit with this competition, at least not this year.

elliott.jpg

Elliot: I *really* liked his performance. He was incredible. In fact, THIS was probably my favorite performance of the night. He has such a smooth voice, it sounds really great.

gedeon.jpg

Gedeon: I thought it was pretty good. I know some people on the board don't like him, but I do. I think he has good energy, and his voice is nice and rich. The problem with him though is that he seems to have a comfort zone that he doesn't want to get out of, which will likely be the downfall of him in the competition.

jose.jpg

Sway: Eh. Boring. Forgettable. He might be in trouble.

kevin.jpg

Kevin: Sorry, I know he's the underdog and all, but I just can't get into him. His voice is really shaky and he always looks like he's about to puke when he's up on stage. He has ZERO stage presence, but I'm sure given more time and work he could improve on that. I want to like him though, I really do.

taylor.jpg

Taylor: I didn't really like the song choice. And could he have screamed "WOO!" any more than he did?! Yikes. Take some valium or something bud.

will.jpg

Will: I don't see anything special about this guy whatsoever. Average voice, average stage presence, average looks. Everything is average. No way this guy is going to win AI, mark my words now.

I wasn't all that impressed with the guys performance-wise. Most of them sang well but picked boring songs and/or showed zero charisma. Chris and Bucky were the only ones I liked, Gedeon who I wasn't a big fan of last week improved this week. I hate to be superficial about Harry Potter, but if I didn't have to look at Kevin I'd think he was good but when you look at him he doesn't look like a performer either appearance-wise or presence-wise.