Game Thread: Devils @ Rangers 7:00 PM

MadDog2020

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

basically the rangers contained the EGG line and, in so doing, contained entirely the devils offense. the devils don't have any type of significant secondary scoring past E-G-G.

- gomez in particular didnt look as sharp as he did in past games. him and elias miscommunicated a number of times.

- the pp looked pretty good, but gomez and elias were trying too much at times. the 2nd pp unit is a huge downgrade from the 1st unit. colin white cannot play the point on the second pp unit. he simply does not have the hockey sense to be playing in that role.

- lundqvist is going to be a good goalie for the rangers. he wasn't tested as much as brodeur was, but still, he looks very stable in net.

bye bye winning streak , why did it have to be agaisnt the rags , :(:angry:

Because the Rangers are a better team!!!!!!!!

basically the rangers contained the EGG line and, in so doing, contained entirely the devils offense. the devils don't have any type of significant secondary scoring past E-G-G.

They REALLY need to find a new name for that line. It is worse than when Fleury-Lindros-York were nicknamed the FLY line.

Great game, couldn't be happier... :puke:

*runs back into cave until after next win* :ph34r:

Back from the game...

Problem tonight was we couldn't get anything going down low. No one was getting sticks on the point shots. There were no rebounds. No cross-ice passes. The shots were all coming from up high cleanly in, making Lundqvist's job really easy.

The beginning of the third, the Rags were playing like they already won it. When I saw that I knew the Devils were going to score. Give the Rags credit coming out with all cylinders firing after that. I knew the game was over at that point unless we got a lucky bounce.

As a hockey official, the guy behind me pissed me off. I wonder sometimes where these kids pick up their "blame the ref" attitude. This guy was with his kid, and once the dad starts going the kid picks up with crap like "what team are you on refs?"

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot. JANSSEN KICKED THE sh!t OUT OF HOLLIWEG! THAT WAS MONEY!

capt.nybk10401230244.devils_rangers_hockey_nybk104.jpg

Edited by David Puddy

The rags beat a very tired Devils team. Matt32 go crawl back into your hole. The rags ain't won nothing yet.

Rest up boys, the real competition is coming up, time to go on another tear.

I think it's safe to say my Ranger hatred has returned :evil: It was hard to hate them earlier in the year admittedly cause they don't have the team of ego superstars they did in years past, but after the Messyface thing and especially the Kaspar elbow tonight (with JD's reaction) and them beating us 4 of 6 well now they can bite me again :)

I don't know about you guys but I just knew we'd lose this game. You just have that feeling.

I kinda had that uneasy feeling too. :puke: As soon as the puck dropped I didn't like how the game was flowing. The Rags were all over the Devs at every chance they got. As soon as Marshall got that dirty elbow from that a$$hole kaspertitissuus it seemed like the Devs spirts just dropped and then didn't score on the 5 min. pp and the 5 on 3 advantages they had I had pretty much knew they weren't gonna come out on top in this one. And that really friggin sucks! :argh:

Anyone have a pic of the cheapshot? I need help proving it was cheap to a bunch of Ranger fans.

Cheapshot? No cheaper then the Stevens hit on Lindros or anything Stevens did for years. Kaspar's elbow was down, shouldnt even have been a penalty. Oh well, 5 dmen most of the game a million power play minutes, and the Rangers STILL WON!!!!

4-1-1

I think it's safe to say my Ranger hatred has returned :evil: It was hard to hate them earlier in the year admittedly cause they don't have the team of ego superstars they did in years past, but after the Messyface thing and especially the Kaspar elbow tonight (with JD's reaction) and them beating us 4 of 6 well now they can bite me again :)

Mine never left. It's only stronger now.

Cheapshot? No cheaper then the Stevens hit on Lindros or anything Stevens did for years. Kaspar's elbow was down, shouldnt even have been a penalty. Oh well, 5 dmen most of the game a million power play minutes, and the Rangers STILL WON!!!!

4-1-1

LOL. Okay. Keep believing that. Kasparaitis won't get suspended but that was a 5 minute major elbow without question.

Boy, 4 wins this year - that makes what, 10 in the last 8 years?

4-1-1

heres my post from another forum I post at:

Kasper was lining up for a big, clean hit on Marshall. When Marshall moved Kasper no longer had it lined up, so he used his elbow/arm to hit Marshall in the head. Sure maybe he didn't want to injure Marshall but he did intentionally hit him in the head, earning a well deserved ejection. Kasper is a good player, but didn't use his judgement on this one. If a Devil did what Kasper did then I would be pissed at that Devil. I do my best to be unbiased and I hope others will also make an effort. Hopefully Marshall will be ok, the Devils need him.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Plain and simple...the EGG line was tired and have been the past few games...we've been playing worse and worse because we have no offense (or hardly any) without the EGG line...looking at the last three games including tonight...

Elias - 2G 1A

Gomez - 1G

Gionta - 0G 0A

Yeah our powerplay is scoring but our number one PP line consists of the EGG line plus Langs...we have to get some kind of offense to help out Elias & Co....Lou knew we could only ride that line for so long...they've gotta get some rest so we can get on another run soon!!

4-1-1

Quit being a fvcking homer dude. Stevens never skated up to someone and pegged them directly in the chops with his elbow out far enough to clothesline a horse. There's a difference between what Kasperminus did and a clean hockey check. I've been elbowed like that. I've also been checked cleanly. I've elbowed other guys like that. And I've checked other guys cleanly. Trust me- what Kasperminus did was not clean.

Plain and simple...the EGG line was tired and have been the past few games...we've been playing worse and worse because we have no offense (or hardly any) without the EGG line...looking at the last three games including tonight...

Elias - 2G 1A

Gomez - 1G

Gionta - 0G 0A

Yeah our powerplay is scoring but our number one PP line consists of the EGG line plus Langs...we have to get some kind of offense to help out Elias & Co....Lou knew we could only ride that line for so long...they've gotta get some rest so we can get on another run soon!!

True. The real problem though is that we're a one-line team - so if the EGGs get tired or run into a defense that can stop them, we lose. Tonight is exactly what happens when a team with only one line tries to beat another good team. The Rangers held the EGG line to one late goal, and the rest of the team generated very little offense at all - just a few chances between Parise, Brylin and Kozlov.

What we need is to get another creative offensive center to play between Parise and Kozlov. Then we would have another line that opponents would have to watch, which takes pressure off the 1st line. It also would give us more even-strength offense and would inprove the pp - giving us a second line to use there.

It's nice to have a rivalry back. :evil:

I didn't have a good feeling about this game based on a couple of things:

1.The Rangers hadn't been playing well (especially Saturday)

2.The Devils had

But tonight, the Rangers played better and got a deserved win. Even it it wasn't pretty, I'll take it.

Still though, Kaspar should have known better when he elbowed Marshall. I don't believe it was intentional though. From up top, it looked like he was going for a clean hit to take Marshall off the puck but the elbow was up and he got to sit out the rest of the night. I thought the Devils would make him pay for that. Their power play had been red hot and our PK had been struggling since the loss of Betts. They couldn't win any faceoffs. Lundqvist made some tough saves and they did a good job keeping the Devils from rebounds.

That save Lundqvist made on Elias was great at the end of the second. He just has IT. He was tough all game and that's the biggest reason the Rangers won.

They had nothing left in the third. The Devils had better legs and created plenty of chances including the Gomez goal off the rush. It was a quality shot.

Aside from Lundqvist, Ryan Hollweg gets a lot of credit for proving why he's so valuable to the Rangers. He took his beating like a man against Janssen. And really, he had no shot just based on what happened in preseason and the fact Janssen is an animal. So he got his ass kicked. But instead of crawling back to the bench, the guy cameback and played well. Nearly setup Ortmeyer for a third goal. And was instrumental in a key shift which kept the Devils pinned for about 45 seconds with 4+ left.

The Devils played well those final 20. They were hungry but the Ranger D bent but didn't break. Rozsival in particular had a strong game.

And finally, the Rangers cameback home after playing last night up in Boston. It also was their third game in four nights just like the Devils.

4-1-1

Okay, I just watched the hit on Tivo... from the angle behind the boards, it is CLEARLY an elbow. His elbow was NOT down. He raised his arm at the point of impact. He didn't come in with his arm raised, but at the last minute he raised it. Frankly, regardless of whether he raised his elbow or not, his elbow, not his shoulder, made contact with Marshall's head.

The rulebook leaves NO GRAY AREA for an elbow to the head that injures a player. It's 5 and a game, automatic.

Rule 53 Elbowing

Elbowing shall mean the use of an extended elbow in a manner that may or may not cause injury.

1. A minor or major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be imposed on any player who uses his elbow to foul an opponent.

2. When a major penalty is imposed under this Rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed and an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100).

"Clean hit" my ass. Maybe it wasn't an intentional elbow, but referees don't penalize intent. They penalize actions.

KasparElbow1_annotated.jpg

KasparElbow2_annotated.jpg

Compare the position of Kaspar's glove between those two photos and tell me he didn't extend his elbow.

(pics without the circle: 1 2)

And here's a sh!tty cameraphone video of the TV replay of the hit. You can play this with Quicktime player.

Edited by David Puddy