Dallas to host '07 All-Star Game on weeknight

Devils731

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2300042

ESPN.com news services

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Stars will host the 2007 NHL All-Star Game, the team announced.

The game will be played on Jan. 24 at the American Airlines Center, the league said Monday.

The Wednesday night game marks the first time since the 1989 All-Star Game in Edmonton that the events won't be held on a weekend.

It will be the NHL's first All-Star Game since 2004 when the East defeated the West 6-4 in Minnesota. The entire 2004-05 season was canceled because of a labor dispute and no All-Star Game will be staged this season because of the Olympic break.

The Olympic hockey tournament in Torino will be held from Feb. 15-26.

The Stars, who moved from Minnesota in 1993, won a Stanley Cup title in 1999.

"The fans in Dallas have been so loyal. They deserve this," said Stars center Bill Guerin, a three-time All-Star. "All-Star Games are great. They're fun to play in. They're fun to watch."

The SuperSkills competition and YoungStars game will be Jan. 23.

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report

Having the game on a weeknight is a mistake.

It is not good for the host city.

Minnesota had tons of visitors (including me) who came for the long weekend. Now outsiders have to take off a while week to attend the festivities.

This event will have mostly Dallas people at it.

I don't think it's fair either, really, but whattaya gonna do? I know someone on this board had tickets to Atlanta's All Star game, maybe it was stubbs? Yeah, it probably was now that I think of it. It sucks for Atlanta fans who were really excited for it, but at least they were given some warning this was going to happen during the lockout when there were rumblings that the All Star game would just move on and not return to Atlanta for a while.

As for Newark, it would be cool because the NHL tends to put All Star games in brand new or relatively new arenas. It would, or SHOULD at least, be difficult for the NHL to pass over Newark because I don't think that many new arenas will be built in the next five years. Some, sure, but we definitely should have a shot here. Remember, New Jersey DID have an allstar game before, so it's not like they want to ignore us outright ;)

Dallas will do well for the game... it's a decent event town, and a good place for it

(but damn you NHL for not doing this when I was dating one of those Texicans... I coulda gone to the skills competiton which I get a kick out of !!!!)

I'd think Newark would get the game eventually too... seems to be half the reason to get a new arena

I like it better mid-week... I can watch the Shield, South Park and Drawn Together and never miss the fact that the NHL is gone.... when the All-Star Break weekend hit and the NFL was gone it's the worst sports weekend of the year cause it's usually too cold to go out and play your OWN damn games....

during the week less time lost when I WOULD watch many games

I have no complaints here!

A cold day in hell? If the league has it's way, Newark is in the bottom of the pot and it ain't a no stick pot! :P

I don't think that's fair to do to Atlanta.

I agree. Atlanta should have gotten next year's All-Star Game.

It's good that dallas got it, they have a pretty good fan base...

i think if they put the all-star game in atlanta it would really help the area. With the team surging towards the playoffs, and being one of the msot fun teams to watch along the way, having the all-star game would only further boost fan support. meh...at least they didn't puck some joke of a place like chicago.

The thing about Atlanta is weird. Dallas purposely did not lobby for the 2005 All-Star Game because they knew it might not happen, and didn't want to take that chance. Why the league wouldn't just give them the next available year, I don't know. :noclue:

But I'm glad Dallas got one! We took the family to the MLB All-Star Game in '94 at the Ballpark. Maybe we can wrangle some tickets to this. :clap: