Newest Devil fan enters world!

westcoastdevfan

First off.... this is a happy time and the following text is not intended to dampen the happiness for our wonderful baby girl. :D

Our daughter Abby Rayn was born January 21st at 6:05 pm pst and weighed 7lbs. 4oz. Boy is she beautiful! She had an apgar rating of 9.9, however we found out just after she was born that her head was quite a bit swollen so my wifes OB called immediately over to the pediatrician from the children's hospital (CHOC) across the street to try to diagnose her. Come to find out she has hydrocephalus. Her ventricles are filled with spinal fluid and it is causing swelling in her head. She had surgery yesterday to put a shunt in the back of her head and a tube going down her body to her stomach to drain the fluid. There is a possibility that she can have the shunt in her for the rest of her life among other problems or she has the possiblity to be just perfect. We won't know any more until they do and MRI in about 2 days to check a cyst on the back of her brain. She did come out of surgery not needing a breathing tube and was totally alert. Needless to say we were completely shocked because we have had 4 births previously and they were all perfect. She is still in the NICU (Newborn Intensive Care Unit) and will be for at least a week so we don't get to bring her home just yet. It was pretty devastating at first to think that your beautiful baby was sick and would need such a surgery before she had even turned a day old. But, we feel very blessed and she is such a strong girl. Please hope for the best... :pray:

She is truly a special gift!

She was born pretty soon after I found out that Parise had given the Devils 9n wins in a row.

I have to say your little girl has the most beatiful name i have heard in a long time. No matter the outcome of any complications a child is a blessing. Cheers to a beatiful family and all the best through good times and bad, everyone's thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Thank you all!

ABBY RAYN UPDATE: She is doing great, She is still in the hospital. Alot of the swelling is down. However, her wonderful neurosurgeon believes that a second shunt may be needed to empty the third ventricle by her brain stem. It appears that a memebrane is blocking it off from the other ventricles and will not allow it the empty. This, in combination with the cyst on her brain have flattend her brain stem. It should look like a pregnant belly but with all the pressure it is flat. The second shunt will only be needed if she can't get in there and easily cut the membrane. I will update you all when I know more.

It's really hard to tell how much it will effect her long term. Although, we do know that in most cases of hydrocephelus the child is slow in their development. So rolling over, crawling, talking, walking will all take longer. But, as far as any more serious effects you never know, each child is different. The crazy thing about HC is that it's very common, it's what causes it that is the tricky part. And as of now we still don't know what caused hers.

First off.... this is a happy time and the following text is not intended to dampen the happiness for our wonderful baby girl. :D

Our daughter Abby Rayn was born January 21st at 6:05 pm pst and weighed 7lbs. 4oz. Boy is she beautiful! She had an apgar rating of 9.9, however we found out just after she was born that her head was quite a bit swollen so my wifes OB called immediately over to the pediatrician from the children's hospital (CHOC) across the street to try to diagnose her. Come to find out she has hydrocephalus. Her ventricles are filled with spinal fluid and it is causing swelling in her head. She had surgery yesterday to put a shunt in the back of her head and a tube going down her body to her stomach to drain the fluid. There is a possibility that she can have the shunt in her for the rest of her life among other problems or she has the possiblity to be just perfect. We won't know any more until they do and MRI in about 2 days to check a cyst on the back of her brain. She did come out of surgery not needing a breathing tube and was totally alert. Needless to say we were completely shocked because we have had 4 births previously and they were all perfect. She is still in the NICU (Newborn Intensive Care Unit) and will be for at least a week so we don't get to bring her home just yet. It was pretty devastating at first to think that your beautiful baby was sick and would need such a surgery before she had even turned a day old. But, we feel very blessed and she is such a strong girl. Please hope for the best... :pray:

She is truly a special gift!

She was born pretty soon after I found out that Parise had given the Devils 9n wins in a row.

Congrats West Coast on the birth, and I pray all goes well for her in the future. :pray: