Center Ice subscriber-Alert 1/31/06

eldon

We talked about this a while ago & I guess we got our wish.

Looking forward to this.

(smiley actually looks french) :giggle:

(trying to figure out what they're saying) :noclue:

YES!!!!!!! Although, the last time we thought Center Ice would air a game in french, the game was pulled at the last minute, so I hope they don't do that this time.

Stall just made Theodore his bitch. Theodore went to go play the puck behind the net, Stall skated in and took it right off his stick and put it into an empty net. Theodore is just terrible.

Theodore just let in another horrible goal. He's getting pulled now. 5-2 Carolina.

You lucky bastards.....

I have to live with this %* language every day... not only do the have the NERVE to give every noun a masculine and a feminine, but this whole contractions thing of "a + le = au" and "de + les = des" thing that is just completely over my head...

Tomorrow I have to present "en" which means:

"from there" as in "You're from Halifax? I'm FROM THERE as well."

"about it" as in "We will talk ABOUT IT later"

"of them" as in "We have lots OF THEM"

"of it" as in "She just got her report card. She is very proud OF IT."

"for it" as in "There is a new project at work. I'll be responsible FOR IT."

"some" as in "I'm out of bread. I must buy SOME."

I've been in full time french training, from 8 until 5 every day for a month since the beginning of the month and will be going full time until at least the end of April. Probably longer.

The teacher keeps on me to watch more RDS but come on.... 8 hours a day is too much for my little brain.

Edited by Don

You lucky bastards.....

I have to live with this %* language every day... not only do the have the NERVE to give every noun a masculine and a feminine, but this whole contractions thing of "a + le = au" and "de + les = des" thing that is just completely over my head...

Tomorrow I have to present "en" which means:

"from there" as in "You're from Halifax? I'm FROM THERE as well."

"about it" as in "We will talk ABOUT IT later"

"of them" as in "We have lots OF THEM"

"of it" as in "She just got her report card. She is very proud OF IT."

"for it" as in "There is a new project at work. I'll be responsible FOR IT."

"some" as in "I'm out of bread. I must buy SOME."

I've been in full time french training, from 8 until 5 every day for a month since the beginning of the month and will be going full time until at least the end of April. Probably longer.

The teacher keeps on me to watch more RDS but come on.... 8 hours a day is too much for my little brain.

Don, after years of living in Ottawa, why did you just decide to take french lessons now?

Thanks for alerting us to the game. I couldn't understand more than 10% but it was great to watch anyway. What was up w/ the 15 year old in the broadcast booth? :blink:

Poor Jose. If I was him I'd pull a Roy and demand to be traded.

Did anyone catch the 2nd intermission with the guy interviewing that chick with the giant bug in the standing behind them? It was funy as hell. :D

Don, after years of living in Ottawa, why did you just decide to take french lessons now?

I moved to Ottawa in 1997. I started taking courses off and on since 2000 (5 hours a week type deal), which was enough to get me to what they call the "B" level; able to give directions, have a simple conversation such as discussing the weather. However, my position is what they call the "C" level; able to have a constructive debate, be able to have a complex conversation such as trying to convice somebody of your point of view.

My boss wanted to change my position to be a "B" level position, but I balked. I know that if I ever want another promotion up to "system architect" or "chief of systems" I *NEED* the "C" level. As a "Project Manager" , I now qualify for full time training at the department's expense.

So it wasn't like I woke up one day and said, "Gee I think I'll go on french training for the next 6 months". It's very hard to qualify for this training. I mean, in my salary costs, in teacher costs, in class material costs, 6 months of my training is going to cost upwards of $100,000. So you gotta be half way up the ladder and being looked at for going up higher before they approve that kind of expenditure.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Just so this doesn't go COMPLETELY off-topic, Theodore's GAA in the last three games is 7.57 with a save % of .755. He can't demand a trade. This isn't because the rest of the team sucks in front of him. This is because he sucks behind them.

Jose himself:

"You want to play well and when it's not happening, for sure, you don't like it," Theodore said. "It's not time to get down on myself. It's time to work twice as hard and I guess it's working on the details."

I think it's about time you get down on yourself.

Edited by Don

I got a kick out of I guess the literal translation of power plays.

Superior numbers & penalty killing, Inferior numbers.

Shots are lancers. Lancers en but, but is goal, I guess.

I understood much less than 10%, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

It also sounded like in the first period they had a little girl in the booth talking while the play was going on.

Commercials in french too. Nyquil, which I saw later in english & the burger king one. $1.99 Canadien I think is good for a whopper, no?

it's amazing how quebec has held on to that language considering how all the french parts of the united states (luisiana and up the mississippi) speak english now.

it must kill them to have the queen of england on their money.