Gretzky on live ESPN

Derek21

I love how he says "If you want to ask questions about this, ask the poeple who are actually involved with it". Hate to tell ya Wayne- YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. Your voice is on a wiretap for God's sake. You may not have placed a bet, but you were recorded trying to get your wife out of the woods and you knew it was going on the whole time, and you said you didn't. Whether Gretzky likes it or not, he's involved now.

He doesn't need to say a lot....hes fine and I think everyone should know that, hes not going to do something to put his repuation or career on the line...

You mean his "reputation" of not being able to play defense? or his reputation of HATING (too chicken) of physical contact?

Sure he was gifted, but when the NHL DOCTORED the rules, any player could be good.

Gretzky was as much a chicken for physical contact as Don Cherry calls Euro players cowards.

# 99 my A$$, you are a coward, AND you KNOW it.

Bobby Orr was the second best player of all time, our #4 was THE BEST.

Some folks need to learn that scoring goals is NOT the mark of the best player.

Intimidating, little slasher like #99 were, Scotty Stevens would have KILLED him, and this "so called" Mcsorley would have been Stevens' 8itch.

I love how he says "If you want to ask questions about this, ask the poeple who are actually involved with it". Hate to tell ya Wayne- YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. Your voice is on a wiretap for God's sake. You may not have placed a bet, but you were recorded trying to get your wife out of the woods and you knew it was going on the whole time, and you said you didn't. Whether Gretzky likes it or not, he's involved now.

100 percent accurate.

Did Gretzky know it was going on? Sure.

Was he involved? No.

End of story.

The wiretap shows that Gretzky was trying to keep Janet out of the situation. If you found that your wife was involved in what would be a messy situation, wouldn't you call your friend and ask that she be left out of any conversation?

I'm willing to wager $500 that there will be no charges against Wayne. I'm pretty certain that there will be none against Janet either. People like playing with inuendo. People like seeing heros shot down. Even when they DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG.

Was he involved? No.

End of story.

The wiretap shows that Gretzky was trying to keep Janet out of the situation. If you found that your wife was involved in what would be a messy situation, wouldn't you call your friend and ask that she be left out of any conversation?

I'm willing to wager $500 that there will be no charges against Wayne. I'm pretty certain that there will be none against Janet either. People like playing with inuendo. People like seeing heros shot down. Even when they DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG.

agreed. Gretzky won't be touched. Not because he's the all-powerful Gretzky, but because he didn't get himself tangled in the ring. Did he lie? Sure sounds like it to me. Does that constitute jail time for him, probably not. He really didn't hinder anything except make himself look bad to the media and the public.

As for his wife, however, I am not sure how much she was involved - like if she just took bets from people or if she also had a hand in to the money laundering part.

Depending on how involved she would change what kind of punishment she faces, if any.

And yes you can make the claim they are getting special treatment, but so does every other highly publicized entertainment figure.

Don wrote:

Was he involved? No.

End of story.

This is WAY to premature to think this is the actual "end of story", until the investigation is finished. How does anyone know he wouldn't lie to protect himself. Just because he's saying he's not involved does not make it the truth.

This is WAY to premature to think this is the actual "end of story", until the investigation is finished. How does anyone know he wouldn't lie to protect himself. Just because he's saying he's not involved does not make it the truth.

While this is true, I don't think Gretzky is stupid enough to involve himself in something like this. Why would he risk ruining his career like that?

At this point I give G-man the benefit of the doubt. Of course he knew about his wife's gambling interest - they always talk about their winnings, but never the losses - and he did make a mistake in his first statements saying he had no knowledge.

But I doubt he was involved in the illegal gambling, whether on hockey or other sports. Of course I could be proven wrong, but don't think I will be.

It just sullies his reputation, probably just for a very little bit.

And that's because his coach was involved, people can wonder why exactly did Tocchet get the job, how long did the Janet gambling thing go on for.

The Gretzky's will not face any criminal charges, certainly not based on what we know so far.

Doesn't this all seem a bit fishy? I mean, why is Janet Gretzky placing bets through Rick Tocchet? Just because Tocchet and her husband are good friends? Hmmm, makes you wonder.

Janet should try online wagering. I'm sure Bodog.com would love her as a spokeswoman, too, just in case that acting gig doesn't work out. :lol:

I can't believe he's throwing his wife to wolves, what a dirtbag.

edit: You really believe his wife is such a huge NFL fan she feels the need to bet 100,000 on games? Gretzky clearly made the bets through his wife, and they're trying to do whatever they can to not tarnish his reputation. But it will backfire as the truth is inescapable.

EDIT EDIT: i have no proof of any of this. This is just my speculation.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Just from what we've heard alone it's clear that Wayne was involved...although he might have never placed a bet nor had his wife place a bet he knew (from the wiretap) what was going on and by association is involved...Will he get touched? probably not. It is yet to be revealed how involved he was but a crime is a crime and if you know about that crime and do nothing then you are involved whether you want to be or not....its not like his wife said, "hey Wayne, i've gotten myself into a little something..." and Wayne said "babe I don't want to hear about it, if you don't like it then get out..yada yada yada..." he DID know and thus is involved...sad to say but it's true....the only thing that remains is seeing who else is involved, how involved they were, and to what extent are they going to be punished...not so plain, not so simple, but there it is...

he DID know and thus is involved...

I knew the guy in high school that was selling coke. I take it that I was involved and should therefore turn myself in to the nearest police detachment?

Edited by Don

Doesn't this all seem a bit fishy? I mean, why is Janet Gretzky placing bets through Rick Tocchet? Just because Tocchet and her husband are good friends? Hmmm, makes you wonder.

By the same token it would be the height of stupidity and naivete for Gretzky to place bids through his wife. After all that's the FIRST place one would look if they're trying to tie something to him.

Besides I don't know 'how' she placed the bets, obviously it was through Tocchet's company, did she place them through Tocchet, online, over the phone? There's so much we don't know yet.

Don, are you the owner of a hockey team who employs an assistant coach that helps run a gambling ring with ties to organized crime, and a GM/ex-agent who placed a bet with this outfit?

Okay. So if you are the EMPLOYER of someone, you are responsible for their actions? So the guy that ran the video store that this dealer worked at is the guy that the police should be taking down.

Gretzky will be guillty in the eyes of those petty enough to hate him because he played for the Rangers. Other than that, my offer still stands. There will be no charges because he did nothing wrong. If you're willing to disagree, put your money where your mouth is.