Teen's stolen legs returned

Weekes Head

According to CNN.com:

Teen's stolen legs returned

Monday, March 6, 2006; Posted: 6:43 p.m. EST (23:43 GMT)

ARCADIA, California (AP) -- A 16-year-old girl's prosthetic legs, which were stolen twice since November, have been quietly returned, police said.

Melissa Huff's mother found the legs in her unlocked car, which she had parked at Arcadia High School on Wednesday afternoon.

"Nobody was seen in or around the car," Arcadia police Lt. Ken Harper said. "There were no witnesses. We lifted some fingerprints and will see if there is any match."

Huff's right leg was amputated below the knee after she was struck by a car two years ago.

The first theft happened November 1, when someone cut a hole in a window screen in Huff's home and stole a $12,000 cosmetic leg.

Her doctor and two companies donated money for a new, $16,000 sports leg, which she uses to play softball on the Arcadia High team.

The stolen leg was tossed into the family's back yard in January.

But on Valentine's Day, somebody stole both legs after prying open a screen window. She had been unable to wear either prosthetic at the time because of a surgery. The legs were returned Wednesday, but had graffiti on them.

She was scheduled Friday to pick up another new leg, which the community rallied to buy for her.

Huff said she and her family believe the thief knows her.

"It doesn't bother me," she said. "I'm not scared of them."

Arcadia is about 24 miles (38 kilometers) east of Los Angeles.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/06/legs.stolen.ap/index.html

----

That's just beyond messed up. Why would you steal someone's prosthetic legs and put graffiti all over them? Man, I'd be so pissed off if that happened to me. I hope they can find out who did this, because whoever did this needs some serious help. Ugh. :angry:

Wow,,that's insane..my friend Rob who has a prosthetic arm actually lost it after a night of drinking for a week... :giggle:

this fits right in with the girl scout who got scammed the other day..someone gave her a fake 100 and so she gave away 60 bucks change... she said she was sooo excited someone was buying 40 bucks worht of cookies... then after the person left the mom was like..this is fake...

pathetic

some people discust me seriosuly...our friend is a goalie and he has a prostetic leg he's a great goalie and a great person i couldn't imagine anyone doing that to him....but he always threatns to beat us with it when we piss him off lol

tonight in our class we had a lecturer who was blind. We got around to talking about things she has experienced as a blind person. When she lost her sight in grade 6 a group of 6 kids actually followed her to the bus stop and then proceeded to push her in front of a semi trailer. Thankfully there was a man at the bus stop that grabbed her and pulled her to safety. I tell you, some people are just FVCKING MORONS! :argh:

omg what is wrong with people! the poor kid, she's tryiong to adjust to something unfortunite in her life and instead of helping her or understanding her they do that/ miserable miserable people

when my sister passed away this one kid who didn't like me picked a fight with me he said something about me being ugly so i responded with at least i'm not stupid, so he said :at least my sister's not dead." i threw a desk at him...in retrospect not the best way to handel it but it felt pretty good at the time :fight:

omg what is wrong with people! the poor kid, she's tryiong to adjust to something unfortunite in her life and instead of helping her or understanding her they do that/ miserable miserable people

when my sister passed away this one kid who didn't like me picked a fight with me he said something about me being ugly so i responded with at least i'm not stupid, so he said :at least my sister's not dead." i threw a desk at him...in retrospect not the best way to handel it but it felt pretty good at the time :fight:

Some people just have no class. Wow, i'm sorry that people would actually say something like that to you, even if they were kids there's absolutely no freakin reason to say something so hurtful

Some people just have no class. Wow, i'm sorry that people would actually say something like that to you, even if they were kids there's absolutely no freakin reason to say something so hurtful

thank you, it kinda didn't bother me (on the hurt level, it made me angry) because i knew he knew nothing about her he just wanted to hurt me, some people don't think before they talk that was in 11th grade i think we weren't that young that's what surprised me but ive heard much worse, it scares me, some people have no souls i swear...i worry for my neices growing up

That happened in grade 11? wow! When you're that age you know better! :argh:

That happened in grade 11? wow! When you're that age you know better! :argh:

right!/ that's what i'd think...i hope kids are getting smarter

i'm not saying we have tobe overly sensitive but don't say something that requires a lack of a soul to say ya know?

precisely..some people's kids i tell ya! :blink: