Any Plumbers?

sammyk

So I was curious whats the benefit of having one? I just figured it was the appendix of a household plumbing installation: its nice to have but it can function just fine without one.

I gather from this thread that if your water sucks, the softener makes it better.

(Anybody want to offer a non-Beavis and Butthead answer? :D)

Edited by RowdyFan42

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for us the water softener removed all the lime and stuff.. our showers or when we washed the cars were getting a lime film..and the softener prevented that. My uncle owned a catering truck and it was that silver outside and when he washed it everyday..it would look all spotty and stuff.. the softener made it nice and shiny..which is the reason we got it.

We no longer use it though, since he moved out.

That's a pretty green lawn you have their sammy ;-)

I can't tell you what the price of a new water softener is - all I have is another question. You see I used to have a water softener at my house, but we first bypassed it for a number of years, and when we got our furnace replaced, they took it completely out.

So I was curious whats the benefit of having one? I just figured it was the appendix of a household plumbing installation: its nice to have but it can function just fine without one.

That picture was takein in the fall of 2004. Grass doesn't look like that right now but should in a month or so.

As for the benefits of a water softener, if you get hard water stains (a white film) on your pots and pans, bathroom fixtures, etc or your soap doesn't lather well, then you need a softener. Also, hard water can cause scaling in your water heater and also cause extra wear and tear on appliances like washing machines or dishwashers.

Leak was definitely on my side. There was a tiny leak between the coupling between copper and PVC. It was so tiny that over time it ate through the copper and PVC and I guess it finally got big enough to cause trouble. At least it's done with now.

Thanks to everybody for their advice! :hail:

That stinks sammy...

At least ya wont have too many more bills that are that high.. but must still be hard to pay that amount when you know you hardly use anything close to that.

Sorry!!

Nope, they dug under it from each side thankfully. Cut the pipe on each side and slid a replacement in in its place. Now the joint is still under the sidewalk but accessible from the side. Also it's all PVC now. Took out the copper except for the coupling from the meter.

As for noticing the water, it was such a small trickle. It must have been at it for years to eat through the copper and PVC coupling like that. It's been so hot here that it probably just got absorbed by the ground. The plumbers were puzzled by it to though but that was their only explanation.

that's weird because where I live sidewalks are town property, not personal property. So if someone trips on the sidewalk I assume the town put there and broke their ankel, could they technically sue you?

I just say this because under the sidewalk I don't think should be your responsibility...

Sorry, I know this probably won't help, but something if you had money to burn or something to take them to court. Maybe Judge Judy?

I'm sure if someone trips on your section of sidewalk, if they want to they will find a way to sue (who doesn't these days). I would, however, find out if the water line, and any leaks which it may encounter, technically begins to be your responsibility at the meter, at the beginning of your property line or at the house.

You could also make an argument that when they constructed the sidewalk they damaged the pipe and become one of those suing people we all know and love.

Glad you found it! :)

-Dan

Edited by nj96

The city told me that the house side of the meter is my responsibility. The leak just happened to be under the sidewalk and the problem wasn't the sidewalk. The way the leak looked it was most likely not caused by the sidewalk. Actually the leak probably caused the sidewalk to dip as it ate through the soil under it.

As for being sued, even if the sidewalk is city property it is your responsibility to maintain it and keep it safe. Like back in Jersey if you do not clear it of ice and snow and someone falls they can sue you. The city may own the land a few feet past the curb but it is still your responsibility.

What pisses me off about municipalities owning the sidewalk but forcing the individual homeowners to clear the snow is, what if a homeowner wants to put in a heated sidewalk? Y'know, one of those things that switches on when the snow starts to fall and melts it all away so you don't have to shovel it? Would the city flat out refuse to allow it or would there be some convoluted permit process?

I would bank on the latter, Rowdy. They would allow it but first you would need to untangle yourself from all the red tape they'd throw you in.

Kinda sucks in my book. If the town decides they want sidewalks, they should maintain them. After all, its just one more thing to worry about and its not even on your property! Does the town expect you to clear the part of the street in front of your house? Of course not! That's nuts!

*stepps off soap box*

I'm good now :evil:

Rowdy, I think it depends on the city. You could probably do it but you'd have to get some pricy permit and probably inform your neighbors. I'd imagine if this was done in an affluent are where this installation was comment the process would be easier. Then again I think people are allowed to redo their sidewalks as long as it meets the proper safety/construction guidelines. I mean pouring a sidewalk slab isn't rocket science.

Having the homeowner clear the sidewalks probably saves a ton of money in taxes considering when it does need cleaning, there's a lot of other public works issues going on so extra man-power would be needed to cover the miles and miles of sidewalk, too.

That sucks that they're going to stick you with the bill for the repairs. Do you think the water company can cut you a deal at all (for what exactly I'm not sure).

-Dan

The plumbers said that the city (which is the water company) may help out a little with the water bill so I am going to ask. They aren't going to pay any of the repair bill. What sucks is I could have saved a mountain of money if this leak had just made itself known a month or two ago.

sounds to me like your city's water works are incompetant. if the usage had been that outrageous they should have had a team of techs out there to establish the problem asap.

They did stop by three times but they basically didn't care as it was not on their side of the meter.

"You call a plumber and find the leak, it's your responsibility."

I remember some time ago we had a WebTV like box made by RCA to surf the internet (1997ish). Well apparently there were no local numbers to dial in to, so it was calling San Francisco everytime we connected. We didn't know this until we got a $400 phone bill later that month.

AT&T wiped the charges clear after RCA said "Sucks to be you."

The company that controlled the service went under shortly there-after.