DISCUSSION: KLEE TO DEVILS FOR SUGLOBOV

Weekes Head

Suglobov was one of the few trading chips we had. I'd rather we used him to fill a pressing need (scoring!)

The Devils were not going to fill that need. If they do now it will be for a lesser player. They really don't have the cap room nor the inclination - that 2nd line is a disaster no matter who they put on it.

Found this from TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...nhl-maple_leafs

Assets:Loves to use the body. Plays within his limitations. Is versatile, an excellent presence in the dressing room and the consummate team player.

Flaws :Lacks skating speed and has a tendency to get injured with relative frequency. Was better suited to the pre-lockout NHL than the "new" NHL.

Career potential: No. 5 or 6 defenseman.

----

Well I hope he is physical and is a good team player, should fit in then. A little worried about his flaws though. I haven't seen him play much so maybe someone else here can elaborate. I see he is a 5/6 D-Man. So our depth chart is along the lines of:

Rafalski

Matvichuk

White

Martin

Klee

Hale/Albelin

Brown

Correct me if I am wrong please.

just what we need, another Dman. I don't miss Sluggo cuz, well, we never got to see him play and I'm diggin Ryznar but how about some SCORING??

Found this from TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...nhl-maple_leafs

Assets:Loves to use the body. Plays within his limitations. Is versatile, an excellent presence in the dressing room and the consummate team player.

typical Lou. The consummate team player part sold this guy i bet.

I'd like to see some more physicality out there. I wonder if Lou is concerned about the bruising flyers again this playoff run?

It's been obvious that Suglobov is not in New Jersey's plans. He's been thrown around in so many of my theoretical trades.

This is a perfect defensive upgrade - Klee has some ability to play the PP and is certainly better than Colin White in that spot. Tommy Albelin can now be the perfect 7th defenseman.

A very solid move by Lou Lams.

I agree that Suglobov wasn't going to play a big role with the Devils... but neither is Ken Klee!!!

The only thing I can think of here is that Richard Matvichuk is more injured than what the organization is letting on.

I was agreeing with you that Lou was smart enough to realize that this wasn't the year to go for it... keep the youth in the organization and not waste prospects and picks on older players. Well, that's exactly what he did. Is Klee going to be here for a long time? God, I hope not.

Give Ken a dozen games and people here will be dying to have Malkhov back.

Alexander Suglobov was never in New Jersey's long-term plans. I have been explaining this on the board all year and I won't go back over it - just search for my name and Suglobov and you'll see why. Snipers who do little else well are really not that valuable for a team like New Jersey. For a team like Toronto that figures to be a mishmash of nonsense for the forseeable future, he will be a good addition. I fully expect 25 goals out of him next season.

This is still a good deal for New Jersey.

I don't know much about Klee...who can enlighten me with a scouting report? I don't mind trading Suglobov because it wasn't meant for him to be here in the long run, but I want to know more about Klee before I call this a good/bad trade.

Klee is kind of like Daneyko with a little more offense. He also makes almost nearly $2 million, and cost one the Devils few deadline trading chips. Pretty inexplicable deal for a team with major scoring issues. I would also guess this means Matvichuk is out for a while.

I agree that Suglobov wasn't going to play a big role with the Devils... but neither is Ken Klee!!!

The only thing I can think of here is that Richard Matvichuk is more injured than what the organization is letting on.

Well I wouldn't doubt Matvichuk's hurt but Lou himself acknowledged his concern when he stated 'you're always concerned when it's any kind of back injury' and I agree. Bryan Berard's been almost useless in Columbus since he hurt his back (barring a several-game cameo in January) - in LATE DECEMBER.

And Petey Suglobov was NEVER going to fetch an NHL second-line player in a trade, not when Lou 'only' got a 9234235-year old defenseman back for him.

And Petey Suglobov was NEVER going to fetch an NHL second-line player in a trade, not when Lou 'only' got a 9234235-year old defenseman back for him.

This is hindsight - it can't be said that this is true or false. I think Suglobov and a pick could've sprung any number of '2nd line' players - but very few are likely to help us. Guys like Geoff Sanderson and that ilk really aren't going to put us over the top.

I'm hoping Lou's willing to send a 2nd round pick somewhere for some more forward depth but I'm not holding my breath.

RD, then I'd rather see him *here*! This team cries for offense. Giving up one of the few people in the system right now that can score for an ancient dman just does not make sense to me.

Here. Here. I can't remember when I've been more disappointed in a move..... I usually held out hope that each trade would help us, but I think this was just pissing away a chip and filling cap space. This has really destroyed the buzz I had from the baseball game.

Edited by DevilMinder

Klee? yickkkkkk!!! :ph34r:

This is hindsight - it can't be said that this is true or false. I think Suglobov and a pick could've sprung any number of '2nd line' players - but very few are likely to help us. Guys like Geoff Sanderson and that ilk really aren't going to put us over the top.

No I (like Tri) would have said this before, Suglobov's value was nil and the Devils were never going to give him a shot, he's a Dagenais in training. I don't get why everyone thinks he was the answer to the Devils' scoring woes when he's had one decent statistical year in the AHL for a Rats team with no other scoring options.

If by a second line player you mean the second coming of Viktor Kozlov then yes maybe Suglobov could have fetched 'that' player if you consider that a second line player, I don't. Maybe Sanderson I'd consider a second-line player but I doubt Suglobov was getting him. I'd take Kozlov on the second line anyday over Suglobov and I dislike Kozlov :lol: And HE hasn't even been able to earn a spot on the second line for an offensively-challenged team :P

Suglobov was not a chip. He is much more likely the second coming of Juraj Kolnik or Pierre Dagenais than he is Pavel Bure. The fact that he can score at the AHL level is nice, and who knows, he may be successful in the NHL, but the Devils will never call up rookies and put them on the 2nd line and tell them to score. The disappointment in us not calling him up to help the club makes me wonder what franchise you guys have been following for the last 12 years, because the New Jersey Devils that I know would never consider such foolishness.

I'm really starting to think Lou just doesn't "get" the new NHL. There will probably be half-a-dozen 50 goal scorers in the league this year, and he's still trying to win every game 1-0. :(

If anything the Devils' success the last two months has proven they CAN win 1-0 and 2-1 games even in the so-called new NHL. Look I don't think this team is winning a Cup this year either but I really don't get the negativity considering the team's been WINNING lately, even considering the dreadful shootout losses to the Isles they still have six points out of eight since the Olympic break and were doing damn well before it.

And the Devils DO have two 40-goal scorers though one wasn't healthy nearly long enough to amass that total and the other hasn't quite gotten there yet.

Suglobov was not a chip. He is much more likely the second coming of Juraj Kolnik or Pierre Dagenais than he is Pavel Bure. The fact that he can score at the AHL level is nice, and who knows, he may be successful in the NHL, but the Devils will never call up rookies and put them on the 2nd line and tell them to score. The disappointment in us not calling him up to help the club makes me wonder what franchise you guys have been following for the last 12 years, because the New Jersey Devils that I know would never consider such foolishness.

Well, the Devils handed a 2nd line opportunity to Parise when they shouldn't have, and quite frankly there's no way Suglobov wouldn't have been more productive given the same opportunity. I've seen 50 to 60 rats games in person the past three years and if Suglobov is not a chip, then the Devs are in deep, deep trouble up front for years to come.