DISCUSSION: KLEE TO DEVILS FOR SUGLOBOV

Weekes Head

I don't mind giving up Suglobov but Klee, eh. Doesn't really do anything for me. Lou always has this blind spot when it comes to deadline deals for d-men though (cough O'Donnell cough Smehlik).

This sums it up I think we could have gotten more for Suglobov. Why couldent we throw a few picks in and go after Witt? I guess well see how good it turns out depending on if we can get scoring to go with it.

Funny, reading the descriptions of Klee he kind of sounds familiar....kind of like a certain River Rat making $2.2M...

Exactly what I was thinking Vinnie. Maybe someone can post a comparison of the 2 and tell us why Klee is so much better?

Guys,

This will be a good trade. We can afford to give up Suggy. We have other forwards that will be just as good and maybe better playing in albany when they come to the Devils.

Klee is a solid defensive defensman. Defense wins championships, even in the "new" NHL; Suglobov's career will not be better than a 20 goal scorer. and I Garuntee that his plus/minus will be horrible.

Stay positive. Things will work out.

Never thought Sugs would be a Devil longterm... but I though LL would get more than a 20 game rental form him.. unless he thinks he can sign Klee...

This move tells me LL thinks the Devs can malke a serious run for the CUP.. no other reason to make the trade....

hahah...Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate):

The Leafs have picked up one d and gotten rid of another...but they did steal Sublogov from NJ...he is a stud, and we are all shocked that Lou gave him up....this leaves Nashville, Vancouver and NJ to fight over Witt...

hahhaha :rofl: yea he's deffinetly hot but i liked suggy, well he wasn't going to get his chance in NJ so maybe he'll get it there...good luck suggy!

Lou probably wanted Witt, but the Caps probably wanted too much.

Klee is a very good defensemen and has SC championship experience. Defense wins games as OT98 stated. He immediate improves our PK unit, which we will need if we are going to go deep in the playoffs. On paper, it looks like we should have gotten more for Sluggo, but he has been able to crack our line-up with all his "potential". So, I think this is good deal for us.

After a sleepless night I guess it was 50-50 trade.

On one side Toronto got themselves a rental D from Columbus for conditional pick.

We on the other had to give up Suglobov.

Maybe Suggy doesn't play D but everyone else on the team does. Why not give him limited minutes and play him on PP? He can score on PP with tied eyes... he would be Gionta of the second PP unit... but obviosly Lou thiks we don't need scoring.. :argh: we can win all our playoff games 2-1 and 1-0 and win the cup..

I don't know... Well if chuckie is really hurt then we'll be able to remove his salary from the cap and get some offense .. only 5 plus hours to go ....

As I said in my first post I like Klee. only -1 , and I ranked him as our 4th D at this moment.

But I think we overpaid for him ... we could have got him or some other similar D for conditional pick or 7th rounder..

EDIT: Sorry , I just found out that Leafs gave up 5th rounder and conditional 4th rounder... I guess for them it is a wash.

Edited by MacDevil

Except for the fact that Matvichuk now has a wonky back, defense hasn't been the problem lately. The inability to put the puck in the net has been the problem. And Lou wouldn't even give a guy who looked like that was something he could do a shot. And, unlike Dagenais, who some of you have compared him to, the times I have seen Suglobov in pre-season he at least appeared like he was trying. That was rarely the case with Dagenais. I remember the game in pre-season against the Flyers when Suglobov was all over the place and annoyed the Flyers enough that several of them took a cheap shots against him.

This team is starting to reming me of the last days of Jacques Lemaire, when he was determined to never even try to make an effort offensively, but really try to win everything 1-0.

I know you can never have enough defense, but you have to be able to score sometime.

This team is starting to reming me of the last days of Jacques Lemaire, when he was determined to never even try to make an effort offensively, but really try to win everything 1-0.

I know you can never have enough defense, but you have to be able to score sometime.

You've summarized the "DEVILS OF TODAY"...

Next year I wont be suprised if we run 4 checking lines instead of three we have now

Suglobov was never going to be a regular here. No loss. I'm just upset we've added more salary, seeming to indicate that our 2nd line is going into the playoffs "as-is" and by "as-is" I mean in "suck factor 9."

Hello May 1 tee-times!

Never thought Sugs would be a Devil longterm... but I though LL would get more than a 20 game rental form him.. unless he thinks he can sign Klee...

Add me to the "Lou overpaid" bandwagon. I suppose, as many have said, that Suggy's days in the organization were indeed numbered, but one would think that Lou could've received more for him. I just hope we don't look back on Suggy five years from now and say "Damn, I wish we had him back" the way we look back on guys like Steve Sullivan and Willie Mitchell. And I really hope we don't look back on Ken Klee and wonder just what the hell Lou was thinking.

This move tells me LL thinks the Devs can malke a serious run for the CUP.. no other reason to make the trade....

Me too. In fact, because of this trade I'm expecting the Devs to either win the Cup or come damn close. Basically, if they don't go any farther in the playoffs than they would've without Klee, it's a wasted trade.

And how are we going to make cap room for Tkachuk's salary ?

Add me to the "Lou overpaid" bandwagon. I suppose, as many have said, that Suggy's days in the organization were indeed numbered, but one would think that Lou could've received more for him. I just hope we don't look back on Suggy five years from now and say "Damn, I wish we had him back" the way we look back on guys like Steve Sullivan and Willie Mitchell. And I really hope we don't look back on Ken Klee and wonder just what the hell Lou was thinking.

Suglobov is one year away from waiver eligibility - let's not forget that.

Also, you cannot look at a trade in a vacuum. Steve Sullivan was never going to get the ice time to succeed in New Jersey - there were tons of guys ahead of him and behind him on the depth chart. He didn't get that ice time to succeed in Toronto either and I'm not upset he's gone - he wasn't a very useful player in the old NHL. That's another debate, but my point is - Alex Suglobov may very well score 25 or 30 goals next year for what figures to be a bad Toronto squad. That doesn't mean he would have done that here or that he would have even been a useful player here.

im not worried about NJ's D is the scoreing in 2003 you caould let up 1 or 2 goals and the game was more often then not over but now you gotta expect to let up a few, that's not really what's really hurting, it's the not answering back *****brad lukowich******????????

I think the fact is Sug wouldn't have prospered int eh Devils system. He may be top notch somehwere else - lots of guys are. I dont think we're throwing away anything with both hands.

Klee -- see he's a guy I'm mixed on... basically I always wonder why it is I dont like him more. I'm just on the fence because he never pushes me one way or the other. I can't hate him like Don because I've never watched a game counting on him to be decent, you know? I just notice sometimes when he's good - and when he's dopey... but never saw a real lack of balance one way or the other. I guess the thing that sets him apart is merely the right shot... that's cool and hopefully will be like double timing Rafalski on the blue line. I haven't paid attention to him in the "New NHL" so I'm not sure how I feel to be frank... We'll see.

But I'm not at all cut up about the loss of Sugbl subgl slugbul... blugbusov -- <_< whatever...

I just dont think you get anything much better for suglobov and both GMs know it. We got what we could for him and that's better than nothing. I think if Lou wanted Witt (and McPhee wasn't asking something outrageous), then lou would have gotten him.

EDIT: WOOOHOO 100 posts!

Edited by elias2600

I just dont think you get anything much better for suglobov and both GMs know it. We got what we could for him and that's better than nothing. I think if Lou wanted Witt (and McPhee wasn't asking something outrageous), then lou would have gotten him.

I agree 100%

A little late to the party...

Klee is a solid citizen. All the Caps fans I've been talking to down here in DC think this is a great trade.

As for Suggy...listen, there have been 1,000 Suggy-types that have gone through the Devils under Lou. How many wingers "should have been given a chance" and then left and then never amounted to anything. In the early 1990s, it was centers like Jason Miller and Skalde. Over the last several years, it's been wingers like Suggy.

<JESTER>

A little late to the party...

Klee is a solid citizen. All the Caps fans I've been talking to down here in DC think this is a great trade.

As for Suggy...listen, there have been 1,000 Suggy-types that have gone through the Devils under Lou. How many wingers "should have been given a chance" and then left and then never amounted to anything. In the early 1990s, it was centers like Jason Miller and Skalde. Over the last several years, it's been wingers like Suggy.

<JESTER>

Yeah...this deal reminds me a little bit of the Paul Ysebeart (sp?) for Lee Norwood trade...Ysebeart had a huge offensive year for Utica (something like 50G and 50A, don't have time to look up the exact numbers), but was a defensive liability. Norwood didn't really distinguish himself as a Devil. Ysebeart had a couple of 30+ goal seasons with the Red Wings, then pretty much fizzled out. He never really lived up to expectations.

Devils have had lots of offensive players (minors) go bust or not do much in the NHL...Ysebeart, Kevin Todd, Denis Pederson (he was a scorer in the minors), among others.

But Carney goes for a mere "future considerations" I guess I'm partial to Carney.. but it bugs me we gave up Sug for Klee now too... but it's better than loosing him for nothing... :noclue:

HMEHHH Blah... blah blah blah... blah kind of day....