Kozlov?

Mitico12

Energy... like mice on a wheel. We need scoring!

We've scored 12 goals in 3 games and we need scoring?

4th lines are not going to be scoring lines anymore - there's too many penalties for that to happen. They never were scoring lines anyway. The Devils have a perfect fourth line.

4th lines are not going to be scoring lines anymore - there's too many penalties for that to happen. They never were scoring lines anyway. The Devils have a perfect fourth line.

I agree!!

We need defense and goaltending right now!!

We're having scoring problems all right.

Our Defense (and our goalie) are scoring on themselves.

We've had both units (O + D) click ONCE this season, and it was a 10 game winning streak in January. I think we all remember it -- that's how good this team COULD be if they could get their heads out.

Sadly, I think Lou tweaked the chemistry a LITTLE bit much with the addition of Klee and Lukowich. We'll see Lukowich back in against Ottawa. Klee will sit.

Hopefully, Kozlov will play the 2nd line for a night in lieu of Brylin, but I doubt it.

First off, look who we are playing. When we play anyone over .500 our offense has been pitiful. Great if we run into the Bruins or Leafs in the playoffs though.

And as for us not getting scoring out of our 4th line, your correct. Too bad our 4th - checking - line is Pando, Madden and Brylin not Weimer, Rass et. al. I don't expect Madden's line to score but to hold the other teams top line in check. Our other lines need to generate the offense.

I can't believe people still want Kozlov in the lineup. He's been given chance after chance this season and he has done nothing. In his previous 16 games (he was actually getting good ice time in many of those games), he had 1 point, and that was the result of Gionta working hard behind the net and stripping Esche of the puck and throwing it in front for Kozlov to bury in a vacant net. Other than that, he has done absolutely nothing.

First off, look who we are playing. When we play anyone over .500 our offense has been pitiful. Great if we run into the Bruins or Leafs in the playoffs though.

And as for us not getting scoring out of our 4th line, your correct. Too bad our 4th - checking - line is Pando, Madden and Brylin not Weimer, Rass et. al. I don't expect Madden's line to score but to hold the other teams top line in check. Our other lines need to generate the offense.

SC I usually agree with you but this is just blatantly untrue. 4th lines have traditionally been energy lines and not scoring lines - the Devils have had the depth in recent years to turn them into a mishmash of scorers and energy type players, and have iced the most well renowned 4th line ever (the Crash line). The 3rd line has typically been the line to match up against the opponent's top line.

Traditionally, teams didn't roll four lines. The Devils are always going to try to roll four, and right now we've got a pretty good one in Wiemer-Rassmussen-Janssen. Their role is to draw some penalties and wear out the opposing defenders. The importance of such a line over a playoff series can't be understated - when you put a Kozlov on this line, it just loses its function.

I can't believe people still want Kozlov in the lineup. He's been given chance after chance this season and he has done nothing. In his previous 16 games (he was actually getting good ice time in many of those games), he had 1 point, and that was the result of Gionta working hard behind the net and stripping Esche of the puck and throwing it in front for Kozlov to bury in a vacant net. Other than that, he has done absolutely nothing.

He's not going to be any less effective than Brylin on that 2nd line. Plus, and I'm only half-kidding here, we need him on the shootout. We'll likely have a couple more before the season's out and every last point (and point taken away -- for instance, against Montreal) is going to be HUGE.

I know we shouldn't reward laziness, but having Kozlov ride pine makes me nuts. Get rid of him in the off season, but play him now.

He's not going to be any less effective than Brylin on that 2nd line. Plus, and I'm only half-kidding here, we need him on the shootout. We'll likely have a couple more before the season's out and every last point (and point taken away -- for instance, against Montreal) is going to be HUGE.

I know we shouldn't reward laziness, but having Kozlov ride pine makes me nuts. Get rid of him in the off season, but play him now.

I've been in favor of dumping Brylin lately, but rewarding Kozlov over Brylin is just ridiculous. 1 point in 16 games no matter who Viktor is playing with is a total joke - Kozlov has the kind of skills where he can take the puck in one on three and score. Brylin puts out an effort and now with Elias and Langenbrunner his shortcomings are less magnified.

The *only* move that could be worthwhile is to drop Marshall to the 4th line and putting Kozlov in his former place on the 2nd line.

I like the lines as they are now.

I agree Lou has a personal vendetta against Kozlov because he thinks he's lazy. IMO most of the lazy look about him comes from him being a big guy and the way he skates. I don't see how you can throw him on the second line after benching him for a couple games and expect him to "meld" right away. Also putting Brilyn on that line doesn

That's the problem with having an weak offense, when they finally do come around and score some goals, we all of a sudden can't keep the puck out of our own net. Next week we'll be back to losing games 2-1. Yes, Kozlov needs to be back in the lineup regularly.

Exactly.

It's just like the NFL, when a backup quarterback becomes the most popular player...until he gets into the game and does zilch. When Kozlov gets back into the lineup and pretty much does nothing for the next 10 games except drive everyone crazy, what will all of the Kozlov supporters say then?

Kozlov has gotten more than enough chances to show something.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Tri, yes with Devils teams of the past this would be a perfect fourth line-however

in case you haven't noticed this Devils team has the LOWEST goals for in the conference.

12 goals against who-Bos, Tor & Atlanta- let's see them score against playoff teams.

If they are going to go anywhere in the playoffs they need a contribution from Kozlov.

This year this is it for him AND the Devils. IMHO they don't have much to lose anyway-

give him a shot (hopefully he'll take a few) and go for it.

Didn't even read most of these posts, but had to add my opinion.

Kozlov does not add to this team. Sure, he's great with a Russian jersey, but what does that do in the NHL? NOTHING! Do you think New Jersey is the first team to see this? No, that's why he was pawned off here in the first place. This kind of player belongs in Pittsburg, not New Jersey.

It's not about offense, as Kozlov hasn't contributed any. "But thighway, he has so much potential!" Yeah, that'll be your argument when he is 40 and still 'has potential'. We should have sent him to Albany and kept Mogilny if you want to talk offense. At least Alex has proven that he has skill, not just shown the random completely by surprise glimpse of something resembling offensive talent. Trade him, waive him, demote him, whatever, just do not give him a regular spot in the lineup in favour of someone more willing to help.....

(I mean, look at Rasmussen on the 2nd PP last night, HUSTLE, something Kozlov is unfamiliar with!)

Currently, I don't think we need Kozlov becasue our offense has been playing very well lately. However, is this does not stay true, I think playing Kozlov would be a big help because I think he is capable of turning nothing into something, out there on the ice.

Also, Kozlov is a great shootout man that could help us grab an extra point now that every point matters in these last 10+ games.

Tri, yes with Devils teams of the past this would be a perfect fourth line-however

in case you haven't noticed this Devils team has the LOWEST goals for in the conference.

12 goals against who-Bos, Tor & Atlanta- let's see them score against playoff teams.

If they are going to go anywhere in the playoffs they need a contribution from Kozlov.

This year this is it for him AND the Devils. IMHO they don't have much to lose anyway-

give him a shot (hopefully he'll take a few) and go for it.

With the way the lines are constituted now it makes no sense. I agree a week ago, but now that they've taken Langenbrunner off the checking line and Elias off the Gomez line to make a real second line, there's no spot for Kozlov. This guy obviously doesn't care about getting to the playoffs or playing in the playoffs - if playing meaningful hockey in March can't motivate him, what can?

There's no reason to have Kozlov on the 4th line. None at all. He has produced absolutely nothing when he's there and he doesn't hit anybody or play particularly good defense. The 4th line will only play 5 minutes most games anyway - their job is not to score.

at this point scratching kozlov is pretty lame. sure he's an underacheiver...but he has also been grossly misused and stuck on a 4th line for much of his ice time this year.

i don't think he has been paired with the right people on a consistant basis.

We don't have Ovechkin...

Kozlov would fail in a checking role. I say drop Marshall to the fourth line or scratch him and put Brylin in his spot on the 3rd line. Brylin is ineffective on the 2nd line. Even if Kozlov is just there to distract people and take penalties, it will help Elias and Langenbrunner do the work.

Kozlov would fail in a checking role. I say drop Marshall to the fourth line or scratch him and put Brylin in his spot on the 3rd line. Brylin is ineffective on the 2nd line. Even if Kozlov is just there to distract people and take penalties, it will help Elias and Langenbrunner do the work.

I was kidding :D

It's hard to be critical of the Devils, re: Viktor Kozlov, unless you want to crticize Lou for getting him in the first place. He's had lots of chances. I'd be happy if he showed up every other night, never mind every night, but this guy shows up once every two weeks, probably on the day Lou signs the checks.

Lou took a gamble. He was very enticing as he does have incredible skills. It would have been logical to think that a move might spark him.

Unfortunatley he was wrong.....

Kozlovs flashes of greatness only make the pill harder to swallow when 99% of the time we get the sucking Kozlov.