FOOOOORREE! Says the Rangers

DevilMinder

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bg:

"As far that Ross column, I say no, the Rangers would not be better having kept those all those players than the ones they've acquired. Dunham being included makes that arguement a moot point. In 37 games as a Ranger he's put up a 2.35 GAA, .921 Save %, those are pretty solid numbers. He might not be at an all-star level, however he certainly falls into the "good enough" category."

The problem with the Rangers is lack of stability. All they ever do is turn over their roster. What has Slats done since he's been here?

Traded lots of guys and signed even more free agents.

He's no different than Neil Smith. What makes it even worse is that this was the same Sather who once criticized how Smith ran the team overpaying for players. Now, Sather has done exactly the same thing making him a hypocrite.

When your roster changes every year and you hardly have any core guys (meaning actual draft picks who became the foundation), it's not shocking that there's little chemistry.

And how many core guys have the Rangers kept? Leetch is the only one.

Richter will most likely retire. Purinton and Lundmark haven't been Rangers long enough yet to classify them in this category. Great stability.

Every other team keeps some of their core guys and builds around them. But never the Rangers! Look at what Sather did. He now has three #1 right wings on the roster. That's ridiculous. The Bure deal now looks like a huge mistake. All he ever does is get hurt. His career could be in jeopardy.

Have they ever heard of having too many superstars??? That's not how you build a TEAM. A team should have a couple of stars who are the top line players/scorers and then role players who know their roles. A system should be in place which defines each players' roles.

I haven't seen that organization from the Rangers in these past six years (no coincidence it will be another playoff miss).

It seems like they just buy these players like extra gifts for themselves. Then, they just put them out there and expect it to work.

Many stars come to New York and their games are never the same. It happens because they rotate lines and don't have the right balance.

A player like Kovalev is the latest example. He went to Pittsburgh and they let him play his game and gave him the right linemates (Straka and Lang). It meshed so well that Kovalev had a career year in 2001 scoring 44 goals and over 90 points.

Since he's returned to New York, Kovalev has played with every center on the roster.

Nice consistency. How is he supposed to find any chemistry when they continue to rotate lines???

It destroys confidence. It's like a bad disease that just gets worse and worse.

If they had more core guys there and added these players to the mix and assigned them properly, then they wouldn't stink every year.

Until this type of organization and stability happens, it will continue to be a nightmare for Ranger fans :( .

No room for error

March 19, 2003

NHL.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New York Rangers figure there's only one way they can snap their five-year postseason drought -- winning the rest of their games.

The desperate Rangers look to begin one final push for a playoff spot when they host the Buffalo Sabres at Madison Square Garden.

New York clung to its slim playoff chances with Monday's thrilling 1-0 victory over the New York Islanders. Brian Leetch scored the game's lone goal in the third period and Mike Dunham made 17 saves for the Rangers, who snapped an 0-2-0-1 skid.

"We're a desperate team right now," Rangers coach-general manager Glen Sather admitted. "We know that if we don't play like that every night, we're finished." The Rangers are tied with Montreal for ninth place in the Eastern Conference, six points behind the eighth-place Islanders in the race for the final playoff spot.

The Islanders, who tied the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-3 on Tuesday, have one game in hand on both the Rangers and the Canadiens.

The Rangers, who boast one of the highest payrolls in the NHL, are trying to make the playoffs for the first time since 1996-97.

"Our backs are against the wall now," Dunham said. "What we have to do is take this for what it is. Enjoy it for one night and go back to work again and get ready for Buffalo because Buffalo is the most important game of the season now." Compounding the Rangers' difficult road to the playoffs is the uncertain status of forward Pavel Bure. The speedy right wing, who has missed 39 games this season, didn't play Monday because of recurring problems with his knees.

Bure has five goals and four assists in 12 games since returning from a 31-game absence following operations on both knees.

"He had no swelling in the knee," Sather said of Bure's left knee, in which he had torn cartilage repaired Dec. 16. "It's bothering him. It could be psychosomatic -- he's had three operations in that knee this year." The Sabres snapped a four-game winless streak with Tuesday's surprising 5-2 win over the Philadelphia Flyers.

Win all of their remaining games, eh?

Agreed, the Rangers have to make the Bure deal.

What the Rangers have done is pillaged a lot of good players from teams that wanted to dump them off.

With the roster the way it is now, it is going to have to be stable.. Kovalev, Bure, Lindros, Messier, Holik, Kasparaitis, Leetch, and Malakhov are basically untradeable. I expect all of them to be back next year, and I expect Mironov to be re-signed.. where else can Mironov go?

The Rangers will make the playoffs next year. Everyone had an off year, everyone was hurt. Now while I expect injury next year, there will still be teams selling, and the Rangers will always be buying.

I really can't see the landscape of the league in 3 years. It appears there are about 10 teams capable of retaining All-Star level players, and 20 teams that if they don't make it to the 2nd round, have to sell them all off. It can't function that way.

Rangers won't live to see April.

I think they're very probably out now, definitely out in early April. It would be nice to mathematically eliminate them.

P.S. I am not a fan of Rangers fans from North Jersey!!! :angry:

Let me get this straight, if the Rags win all of their remaining 7 games the most points they can get are 86. The Isles (after tonights inevitable win) will have 78 pts as do the Bruins. Those teams only have to play .500 hockey and that is all she wrote for the Rags. Of course how likely is it the Rags win all their remaining games? They still have to face, Philly, Atlanta and us. Also the Isles twice.

I hope they have their tee time reserved.

This really shouldn't be 1 win anymore. The way it's worked out, it's 9 points to Ranger elimination. Any combination of points that the Isles get or the Rangers FAIL to get adding up to 9 means Ranger elimination.

This really shouldn't be 1 win anymore. The way it's worked out, it's 9 points to Ranger elimination. Any combination of points that the Isles get or the Rangers FAIL to get adding up to 9 means Ranger elimination.

The Bruins also have to kept track of in the anti-magic number equation. B)

This really shouldn't be 1 win anymore.  The way it's worked out, it's 9 points to Ranger elimination.  Any combination of points that the Isles get or the Rangers FAIL to get adding up to 9 means Ranger elimination.

The Bruins also have to kept track of in the anti-magic number equation. B)

So you're asking me to use multiple regression analysis on this? :P

So you're asking me to use multiple regression analysis on this? :P

Not at all. :P The anti-magic number for the Isles is 9. Since the Bruins had 2 points on the Isles before Friday's games, their anti-magic number to eliminate the Rangers must be 7! :rolleyes::D:lol::evil:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.