Remember '97

Jimmy Leeds

The Devs won Game 1 in '97 and flopped.

Toes in the crease, and Messier allowed to foul unimpede nonetheless, the Devs let it slip away.

So keep the focus and DO NOT auusme it's over.

Jagr or no Jagr.

I don't remember the exact quote but Gomez said he wouldn't let that happen. I don't think they will though I know Madden and Pandolfo is in Jagr's head so if he does play I think he will be invisible. I just hope there is enough leadership in the lockerroom to keep everybody's head together. And for the love of God don't play Kozlov.

If the rags are going to win they have to ice a different team in game 2. Btw, the Klee goal was a gift. The Devils have to keep bringing their A game, also be more disciplined and remember they have 3 more games to win. If the Devils don't play smart, they could lose game 2, Jagr or not.

Malik was definitely trying to maim Pando. In the 3rd I think the rags were trying to injure players.

Edited by LizDevil30

This series is far from over. The Rags played well for the first half of the game yesterday and even dominated during some of the few minutes we saw of 5 on 5, but their lack of discipline cost them in the second half of the game. I expect the Rangers to wake up from this slump they are in; they will not roll over and die. That being said, though, I am confident the Devils can rebound from the eventual adversity to come (whether it be this series or later) because of their past playoff experiences and the unity that has developed in the lockerroom.

The way we won Game 1 actually worries me more than anything. The fact that it ended in a route causes me to fear that the Devils might not take this series seriously. They had better. The only good thing I took from Game 1 (other than the fact that they won and it was a fun game to watch) is that at the very least they have no problems with scoring on Lundqvist. It scares the poop out of me to see them win a Game 1 that easily.

The way we won Game 1 actually worries me more than anything. The fact that it ended in a route causes me to fear that the Devils might not take this series seriously. They had better. The only good thing I took from Game 1 (other than the fact that they won and it was a fun game to watch) is that at the very least they have no problems with scoring on Lundqvist. It scares the poop out of me to see them win a Game 1 that easily.

Would you feel more confident if they had lost 6-1?

I agree that this is not the 1997 rangers and that exact example of what happened does not mean the Rangers will now come back and win 4 games....but all hockey fans need to understand that Game 1, albeit important, does not indicate at ALL that a series is over...

here is a Sabres example I will share with you:

1988-1989 Buffalo Sabres, beat the Bruins 7 of 8 times in the regular season...Sabres were the 3 seed (83 pts) and Boston was the 2 seed (88 pts)...

Game 1 Buffalo wins 6-0 in Boston...I declare to a Ruins fan at my school..."the time has come, Boston is DONE, Sabres are taking you guys finally!!"..

Well in Game 2...with the Sabres getting the 1st goal...then they get a PP...Boston scores 2 SHG in 30 seconds....Boston wins Game 2....goes to Buffalo...wins Game 3....Wins Game 4...back to Boston...Boston wins Game 5...goodnight...Sabres on the golf course YET again in the 1st round!!! :argh::argh:

Just figured I would provide another example :lol:

Easy there. You sound like the Flyers' messageboard fans from that other thread.

Yeah, I chuckled a little when Bettman said the league office isn't rooting for the Rangers, because it's not -- everyone knows that Bettman is an Islanders fan, and that's the only reason that pitful, pathetic franchise hasn't been shipped to Vegas yet.

<JESTER>

I agree that this is not the 1997 rangers and that exact example of what happened does not mean the Rangers will now come back and win 4 games....but all hockey fans need to understand that Game 1, albeit important, does not indicate at ALL that a series is over...

here is a Sabres example I will share with you:

1988-1989 Buffalo Sabres, beat the Bruins 7 of 8 times in the regular season...Sabres were the 3 seed (83 pts) and Boston was the 2 seed (88 pts)...

Game 1 Buffalo wins 6-0 in Boston...I declare to a Ruins fan at my school..."the time has come, Boston is DONE, Sabres are taking you guys finally!!"..

Well in Game 2...with the Sabres getting the 1st goal...then they get a PP...Boston scores 2 SHG in 30 seconds....Boston wins Game 2....goes to Buffalo...wins Game 3....Wins Game 4...back to Boston...Boston wins Game 5...goodnight...Sabres on the golf course YET again in the 1st round!!! :argh::argh:

Just figured I would provide another example :lol:

That's good point, but there's no Bourque, Neely and Moog on this team to pick it up by its bootstraps.

Of course not. I'd be devastated. But I'd much rather see a 4-2 or 3-1 win than a 6-1 win. I get worried when the Devils blow a team out in the playoffs. Overconfidence can kill the best teams.

I thought the same thing after the game but there is something about this Devils team that I just can't convince myself that is true. Alot of these players know that nothing is going to come easy for them and a majority of them are playoff tested. Combine that with the fact I think they all know how important it would be to finally get that monkey of never beating the Rangers in the playoffs of their back and that Louie Lams is walking back and forth on the bench I can't see overconfidence a problem for this team.

They know how hard they had to work to win that divison. It took a impressive winning streak and the last game of the regular season to do so. Overconfidence should not be in these players heads.

One very good sign to me was the fact that even after it was 5-1 and then 6-1 the Devils stuck to their game plan and just kept going. They didn't back down, they didn't slow down, they didn't start falling back and quit attacking. That is very promising to me, but I still worry. In my opinion it is vital that we win both these opening home games.