Official GDT: NYR @ NJ Game 2

hattrick

Guess who the ranger fan is in the crowd :evil:

Who *IS* that guy?!?! Can't be the goal judge... he's too far back. But see that yellow thing in his hand? He was starting at that thing all night. He wasn't paying attention to the game. He just keep staring at his yellow thingy.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody answered my question about Marshall. I didn't see how it was a bad call.

I just caught the post-game interviews on the NHL network. Renny said that Ozolinsh had his timing off a bit tonight, but on the other hand he liked the rest of his play in the game. Furthermore, all the Rangers have to do next game is build on this one because the Rangers played well.

Lou was asked why Martin and Rafalski were out for the whole 5-on-3. The reason was simple. It was the second period and the bench was too far away. Lou said it was "positional" and that the guys were tired but not exhausted. They know to come to the bench if they are exhausted. Both of whom played wonderfully on that 5-on-3. :clap:

Not only was the stickhold not obvious to me (there might've been one), Malik clearly holds and interferes with Marshall to begin with. That is why Marshall was so upset with the call.

just got back from the game and i thought the devils were lucky to get the win. the rangers carried the play for most of the 2nd and a decent amount in the 3rd. if not for brodeur they loose tonight. after the 1st it looked like they just sat back thinking the game was over. they will have to play a lot better to come out with a win on wednesday. this series is far from over.

We really did get outplayed 5 on 5. Renney was right.

However, we didn't get outplayed a man down! We took too many penalties again, tahnk god Madden played like he did way back when he had all those shorthanders in the regular season. If the PK and PP keep up we'll be okay.

Our top lines were not moving out of the zone well at all. Very little organized offensive zone penetration. It was a scary win. We'll have to be better than that, Brodeur can't stand on his head every night.

Still, a hallmark of a Cup team is finding a way to win when they're outplayed.

Edited by Cowutopia

Lou Lams loved it so much he's giving him a LIFETIME pass to the devs.

You're not serious?!?!?! Where did you hear that? That's awesome.

They interviewed the guy on OLN and he said something along the lines of "Madden worked so hard tonight and I really wanted to do SOMETHING to honour his hat-trick. But I didn't have a cap. All I had was my toupee. It's sorta like my hat. So I tossed the only thing that I had."

Not only was the stickhold not obvious to me (there might've been one), Malik clearly holds and interferes with Marshall to begin with. That is why Marshall was so upset with the call.

You can see the stickhold. Grant was guilty. But you can also see at least the interfearance by Malik and since the penalty was called after Marshall let the stick go and once he had the puck I guess that is why he threw a fit. However, he should have known better. You go to the box and you keep your mouth shut. You do not behave like, well, a drama queen. Well, OK, it's hard to imagine Grant as a queen (the vision of Grant in the tiara is just not something that is comforting). Let's just say he did his best Phil Esposito, "How could you do this to me????" impression.

Overall, I thought the calls were about right on in the game. They missed a few things on both sides. NJ needs to get it under control in Game 3. There was a serious dose of stupidity running loose in the team. Plus, the passes weren't quite connecting for the top line.

But, the 3rd line, the PK, Rafalski, Martin and Marty the Wonder Goalie were there to save the day.

Let's leave it to the coaching staff to get things in hand for Game 3. We can enjoy this.

just got back from the game and i thought the devils were lucky to get the win. the rangers carried the play for most of the 2nd and a decent amount in the 3rd. if not for brodeur they loose tonight. after the 1st it looked like they just sat back thinking the game was over. they will have to play a lot better to come out with a win on wednesday. this series is far from over.

dead on. marty was the difference tonight. i saw the rangers dump the puck a ton and just flat out beat the defensemen to the puck, although it almost looked like the devils were letting them do that by design wanting to get positioning.

Our top lines were not moving out of the zone well at all. Very little organized offensive zone penetration. It was a scary win. We'll have to be better than that, Brodeur can't stand on his head every night.

rangers did a great job boxing in gomez and standing up at the line. they also targeted elias right after he'd enter the zone on a cross ice pass which was impressive positioning/coaching.

the devils played a lazy uninspired trap style during the entire second and third period...

that win was ugly.

Absolutely brutal.

However, we got a win with Gomez-Parise-Gionta playing like crap and Langenbrunner-Brylin-Elias not playing a whole lot better. Gotta count yer lucky stars when that happens.

Who *IS* that guy?!?! Can't be the goal judge... he's too far back. But see that yellow thing in his hand? He was starting at that thing all night. He wasn't paying attention to the game. He just keep staring at his yellow thingy.

It has to be the goal judge. Isn't that a NHL crest on his blazer?

I also just got back from the game and the Devils played very sloppily. A lot of passes were tipped by the forwards right to the Rangers players, giving them a lot of scoring chances and odd man rushes. The Devils also had trouble getting the puck out of their zone and would always give the puck away to the Rangers when they finally had a chance to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that we won and we are a step closer to to winning the series, but I just hope that with Jagr potentially back and Weekes not in net that we will bring a better effort so we can continue to win...and I owe the Devils the confidence that they will bring an even better effort for future games.

By the way, when Madden scored the hat trick and all the people threw their still-packaged thundersticks onto the ice, the players had to help pick them up because it was taking the ice crew so long to do it themselves.

Edited by devils26

Absolutely brutal.

However, we got a win with Gomez-Parise-Gionta playing like crap and Langenbrunner-Brylin-Elias not playing a whole lot better. Gotta count yer lucky stars when that happens.

My thoughts Don - if we can win with that lackluster effort then Lou will tweak .. cause I didnt think he was too happy leaving that bench after the game.

On face, it is easy to say we were outplayed but I disagree. We were playing a tight defensive game. It reminded me a lot of how we played in the last game in Philly and the Thursday night gams vs Philly. The Rangers had a lot of puck control but they did not generate that many offensive opportunities from it. Also, when the chips were down the Devils dominated on the 3 on 5. The Rangers played better and shut down our scoring lines but you know what? It did not matter. We still won. We have won two games and we can still play better!

On face, it is easy to say we were outplayed but I disagree. We were playing a tight defensive game. It reminded me a lot of how we played in the last game in Philly and the Thursday night gams vs Philly. The Rangers had a lot of puck control but they did not generate that many offensive opportunities from it. Also, when the chips were down the Devils dominated on the 3 on 5. The Rangers played better and shut down our scoring lines but you know what? It did not matter. We still won. We have won two games and we can still play better!

I can count at least 3 chances where the Rags had open net chances and somehow missed... we were lucky on those occasions... :koolaid:

Just got in from the game and the crowd was amazing!! We were so loud.... The Goal at the end of the second and the place erupted!! So many chants and cheers!

We were Sloppy in the third and got lucky a few times, most of the period was played in our end..

Still I was there at 2:30pm for the tailgate and it was another awesome day! this is turning out to be a GREAT playoff run!

This devils team is NOT the same team Mentally as back in december, We are playing so well.... Prompts to Pandolfo. I admit I thought he was all but done here but he really has played well..... i hope Martys arm is not seriously hurt at the end of the third. Should be OK.

Every game we've tailgating for during this win streak, we've had PREMIO sausage on the grill!! PREMIO!!! Thats it. Section 218 started this and we followed! thank you 218!

The crowd tonight was truly amazing. Devils fans are doing a great job showing the NHL and TV networks that we are loud and here!! I think Flyer fans and Ranger fans are starting to think twice before coming here!..... Ranger fans were FAR away from other Devil fans during the tailgate! LOL

Still Devils have alot of work to do, BUT the way we are playing we can beat anyone.... I really think we can see a Devils vs. Flames finals! But we shall see., LONG way to go!

I love PLAYOFF HOCKEY!!... I LOVE DEVILS HOCKEY!!! WOOOOOOO!!!

anyone who thinks the devils were outplayed is a fool, the devils were in control the entire time. It wasn't until the final 5 minutes the rangers had any substantial chances (not counting betts's nice shot). The devils shut down the rangers and were never in danger of losing.

I could not disagree more. From where I've sat all year in Section 105, this was easily the worst game the Devils have played in the last three weeks. They were sloppy with the puck, refused to dump and chase (especially on the PP when the Rangers stood four guys across the blue line to prevent Elias, Gomez, and Gionta from skating the puck into the zone), made too many long passes and cross-ice passes that led to too many TOs at the blue line for my liking. Classic Devils hockey is played along the boards and in the corners, with short passes and the forwards coming back to the puck -- not home run passes and ill-advised rushes that leave the D outnumbered and the Fs our of position. I expect much better next time.

The crowd tonight was truly amazing. Devils fans are doing a great job showing the NHL and TV networks that we are loud and here!!

That reminds me; does anyone else think FSNY makes CAA sound like a mausoleum? I flipped over to OLN a few times and the arena sounded much louder. And up here we also get the Sabres games on MSG, and when I put that game on after the end of this one, the crowd noise was so loud that I could barely hear Rick Jeanneret.

Finally somebody with a semi positive outlook of the game. While the Devils may not have played their best game I really cant see how everybody is saying they were lucky tonight. I have to give the Rangers some credit because they did work their asses off tonight but to say they dominated the Devils just doesnt wash. What good is all that puck control if you cant get any shots on net?

The main problem with the Devils tonight was that they kept turning the puck over in the neutral zone and the Ranger forwards would just rush up the ice in transition. Im hoping White will be back soon cause the D is just not anywhere near what it can be with him in the line up.

As much as the Rangers "dominated" the game tonight, I think a lot of people are forgetting that the Devils could have maybe scored another 2 or 3 goals in this game themselves. Gomez had two awesome chances himself but Weeks made a couple nice saves.

The way I see it, both teams made plenty of mistakes tonight, but the Devils were able to capitalize on their chances unlike the Rangers. They will have to be better in game 3 for sure but they werent as bad tonight as some are saying. I dont think the Rangers could have played any better then they did and they still lost 4 to 1.

A little tweaking by the coaching staff and the Devils should be fine. They have to stop taking stupid penalties though. If they do that with a healthy Ranger line up, then they will be asking for trouble

anyone who thinks the devils were outplayed is a fool, the devils were in control the entire time. It wasn't until the final 5 minutes the rangers had any substantial chances (not counting betts's nice shot). The devils shut down the rangers and were never in danger of losing.

you are...extremely wrong