Official GDT: NYR @ NJ Game 2

hattrick

you are all spoiled, watch some other series and you'll see what sloppy hockey is really all about. The devils didn't look their best, but they still utterly dominated the rangers.

edit:keeping in mind that this is the lundquist, kasperitis, ward, jagr-less rangers.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom Line...the Devils won. I'm sure we are all in agreement that this is a good thing.

But, there are some major concerns:

1. Gio/Gomer/and Parise were ineffective for most stretches of the game

2. Patty and Sarge didn't get as much time with the puck, and definitely turned it over a lot

3. The PP...the Devils did not stick with the basics on the PP. I saw Gomer and Patty trying to carry the mail in all the time, rather than do what was simple...dump and chase...

4. The D was soft at times...there were several occasions when I witness Lukowich softly challenge the puck in the corner, and not chase it agressively enough, allowing the rags player to get there first and maintain possession

5. Pando/Mad Dog/and Marshall were being worked on quite a bit with the rags cycle...I saw them running around a few times...

My suggestion for next game (only, and I repeat, only if he's willing to accept his role)...

Put Kozlov in place of Cam Janssen on the wing...Kozzy can skate, hit, and score goals if needed...

well its a good thing we won... so i dont have to hear sh!t from my ranger fan friends... i called up one buddy and told him next time he was out to buy himself a broom haha...... i hope we can win it in at most 5 id love for the clinching game to be at home... (mainly because i have tickets for game 5 haha)

- the devils have a habit of playing down to the level of their opponent. they came out and played a mediocre game because the rangers presented a mediocre challenge......and they still came out of there with a win. with jagr back in the next game, i think we'll see the devils take it up a notch also.

- the rangers did not dominate the game. sure, they kept the puck in the devils zone alot, but almost all of their play was in the periphery......the devils will take that any day of the week. how many quality chances came out of all of their play in the devils zone? not too many.

- janssen has to be careful. he cannot afford to take any penalties.

- i thought hale looked really good. the defense as a whole has been excellent. how good is that lukowich pickup looking now?

Edited by brylin18

Absolutely brutal.

However, we got a win with Gomez-Parise-Gionta playing like crap and Langenbrunner-Brylin-Elias not playing a whole lot better. Gotta count yer lucky stars when that happens.

yeah, i also agree with a few of brylin18's comments in this last post...

the rangers played a better game, and really showed some hustle. However, that goal by ozo...uh...madden excuse me...at the end of the 2 minute 2 man advantage simply broke the rangers back.

the way Marty is playing you know he wants to end this thing in 4 games...man is he focused.

Game 3 in MSG is going to be good.

You are right though, you know the team is hot when the deviled eggs get scrambled, yet maddog picks up the scoring with a hatrick and 2 shorthanded goals at that! :thumbsup:

you are all spoiled, watch some other series and you'll see what sloppy hockey is really all about. The devils didn't look their best, but they still utterly dominated the rangers.

edit:keeping in mind that this is the lundquist, kasperitis, ward, jagr-less rangers.

I disagree. The Rangers struggled to finish. They couldn't hit the net. And at times, passed up shots trying to be way too fancy on those two power plays. They had plenty of chances.

If you look at the Devils' goals, one was off a moronic pinch by Ozolinsh. The second was off a nice play by Martin to Gionta on a power play. The third was another boneheaded play by Ozo putting it in his own net after the Rangers fumbled the puck around for a 2:00 5-on-3 outside of a Sykora post.

And the fourth was when the Rangers were pressing to cut it to one and got predictably caught leading to Madden's hat.

Outside of those goals, the Devils best players generated very little. They turned over the puck a ton but our players didn't capitalize. I will credit the Devil D for doing a good job in one facet. Blocking a lot of shots. They finished with 18 blocks. Oh btw...the Rangers also missed the net 20 times. That means they attempted a lot of shots. 26 of which got through.

If I am them, I am happy with the effort but not pleased with the lack of ability to finish. I was very pleased with how they competed. They play like that Wednesday, they have a good chance of winning.

I dont think we were outplayed, but we definately didn't play our best.

This is a really difficult series to play without Jagr in the line-up. The Devils do not play well against lower quality teams. Our whole team philosophy is counter-punching, right now we are shadow boxing.

We play best when we are focused. Its difficult to focus on an opponent that isn't very threatening. I hope the Devils wake-up after last night.

I agree with the people who don't think the Devils played great but I don't think the Devils got vastly outplayed either. The Devils weren't at the top of their game but many of the Rangers best chances never even got through to Marty because the Devils recovered and blocked the shot. Also, the Rangers weren't getting many rebound chances because the Devils were getting to the first. The Devils couldn't get their passes to click tonight, but if they did the Devils would have had at least 5 more odd man rushes. The Rangers played super aggressive positionally and the Devils will burn them on many nights if they keep doing that.

It's hard to say that the Devils didn't get outplayed when most of the game was played in our end of the Ice. That being said. We have something the Rangers don't! MARTY!

No matter how many defensive breakdowns happen...No matter how many breakaways occur...no matter how many goddamn wraparound attempts (seriously...it was 12 years ago...he's not falling for it again!)...we have Marty between the pipes.

In my eyes, that was the difference in the game last night. I think he made 2 or 3 outstanding saves. The save on the breakaway. The diving save at the end was unreal. Any one of those goes in and the momentum shifts.

Whether the Rangers play Lundquist or Weekes, it doesn't matter. We still have Marty and he's on fire right now.

I agree with the people who don't think the Devils played great but I don't think the Devils got vastly outplayed either. The Devils weren't at the top of their game but many of the Rangers best chances never even got through to Marty because the Devils recovered and blocked the shot. Also, the Rangers weren't getting many rebound chances because the Devils were getting to the first. The Devils couldn't get their passes to click tonight, but if they did the Devils would have had at least 5 more odd man rushes. The Rangers played super aggressive positionally and the Devils will burn them on many nights if they keep doing that.

I took a second look at the game and let's just say it wasn't NJ's most intelligent game. But it wasn't the Rangers', either. I think the issue is that it was worse than we have gotten used to NJ playing lately, but it was much better than we saw NY play on Saturday. NJ's top line played, essentially, a lazy game. when they saw the Rangers clogging up the NZ at full strength and lined up 4 across the blue-line on the NJ PP they refused to dump it in and chase it. They tried to make the pretty play (the second line was also guilty of this for quite a bit of the game). That led to a significant amount of turnovers. That was the right thing for the Rangers to do, but the funny thing is that when NJ does that (although they don't line up 4 across the blue line on the PK) they are accused of ruining hockey...but I digress.

However, I listened to the post-game interviews and the guys are well aware that they were trying to take the easy way out. They probably won't make the same mistake again. If the Rangers do the same thing next game, you can expect the Devils to dump and chase, if necessary. That should cut down on the NZ turnovers by NJ which allowed NY to get into the NJ zone and apply pressure the way they did. When they dump it deep, if NY recovers, they will have to come the length of the ice, meaning NJ has a chance to force the turnover. We'll probably see lots of NZ play, not what NY fans want to see and not what the NHL wants, but the hell with it, we're used to it.

The Rangers certainly did play a better game than they did on Saturday. NJ was the less disciplined team last night. That has to stop. Someone needs to talk to Grant about shutting up after they call him for a penalty. No matter what you think of it you just go to the box. Personally, I'd think about sitting him if he can't get it through his head.

Whether NJ was actually really lucky to win this game or not, let's hope they think they were. That should get them in the right frame of mind for Game 3.

None of that, however, should take away from the performances of Rafalski, Martin, Pandolfo, Madden or Marty, the Wonder Goalie.

I don't think the Devils played as terrible as some people are saying - I do think there's things to worry about and I think if the Rangers played their A game they could've given New Jersey a much more difficult time. However, the Devils led early, and typically in games where a team leads early, they will look like the 'worse' team because they are trying to protect the lead. There have been outright dominant games that New Jersey has played in the past few weeks, but this is the playoffs and it isn't 2000 - this Devils team isn't going to shut down an opponent all game long, especially not a desperate opponent like the Rangers.

So I can't say the Devils were lucky to win - I can say the Devils were a bit lucky to be leading by 3 going into the third.

I was just over at OTG to make a post and came across this:

DEVILSRULE26

Posted 2006-04-24 3:26 PM (#117804 - in reply to #117707)

Subject: RE: PLAYOFF Game Thread: NYR at NJD - 7:00pm - OLN/MSG/FSN

Prospect

poor jagr wont be able to play ++++ hockey with his gay lover prucha

Very nice. :rolleyes:

I have nothing else to add.

Fritz

Posted 2006-04-25 4:13 AM (#118346 - in reply to #118261)

Subject: Re: Devils punch on the back of the head

Rookie

Originally Posted By: RangerRhett

Do any of you guys do this on Devil's Boards...???

What Devil's boards? There are no Devil's fans intelligent enough to run them.

Theres room for improvement. The D and Marty saved their azz along with :hail: Madden.

They'll have to get it straight for Wensday. We have to remember they are on a 13 game winning streak. It will end sooner or later. I'm expectng the Rags to take one of the home games maybe tomorrow if they don't regroup.

Fritz

Posted 2006-04-25 4:13 AM (#118346 - in reply to #118261)

Subject: Re: Devils punch on the back of the head

Rookie

Originally Posted By: RangerRhett

What Devil's boards? There are no Devil's fans intelligent enough to run them.

Considering what is going on with Flyer "Fans" (mental cases???) we ought to be somewhat glad this is about as bad as it gets. Compared to the way Flyer "fans" are behaving, Devil and Rangers fans are practically getting together for holiday dinner.

People throwing hats on ice: DAMN COOL!!

People throwing toupees on ice: DAMN FUNNY!!

People throwing thundersticks on ice: DAMN STUPID!!

It's a %#*@! HAT-trick. Not a #@%*& THUNDERSTICK-trick.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Wonderful game by Madden. Not just the goals, but his defensive work as well.

We won based on luck instead of skill tonight. We were outplayed most of the night but still won lopsidedly. Lou has to get these guys playing at 100%.

/me thinks it was the Rags fans that started throwing the thunderstick packets on the ice !!

I also thought Hale did very well. I liked Marshall throwing his body around.

I agree that Janssen needs a break, he's getting a little wild. Perhaps Kozlov will play in Game 3?

The Rags had 5 shots on goal in the first period, and were down 2-0.

So yes the Devils played the rest of the game without pushing for offense.

I think Rags had 9 SOG in the second, but seemed like it was alot of perimeter play. Save for the 5-on-3, I thought the Devs played a good 2nd period.

And the Rags did not control the first 15 minutes of that period.

Rags controlled the 3rd period, no doubt but again most of their play was on the perimeter.

I don't get this statement that the Rags are playing better at 5-on-5, they are still taking dumb penalties. and I suspect if there are long stretches of 5-on-5 that the Devs will control that in Game 3.

Straka has been invisible, Sykora doesn't want to get his nose dirty, and Jagr will not be 100% if he even does play tomorrow.

Devils will look to play a classic road-game, and even if down by 1 after 1, will carry the day in the final 2 periods.

Edited by BlueSkirt