Would You Want Black Devils 3rd Jerseys?

NJD Jester

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/bernstein.html

This is Dennis Bernstein's latest column on TheFourthPeriod.com. I like his work, but obviously I'd never want to see a black Devs 3rd jersey -- no need to join the dozen or so other teams in that unfortunate trend.

He also doesn't mention the 10,000 factors that keep people away from the Meadowlands beyond Lou's allergy to marketing, but he's not the first.

Can't argue with his criticisms of the rest of the NHL's marketing efforts...

If you have a second or two to kill, my column archive can also be found on the site.

<JESTER>

and btw after reading that article that guy is a moron and doesn't even get all his facts straight

When is the last time you saw a close up of an owner of an American franchise sitting ice side rooting his team on? Here's a tip, it's never happened.

If you ever watched a Captials game than you would sure as hell get tired of seeing Ted Leonsis on the t.v. and hell he even got in a confrontation with a fan last season, how more hands on do you get than that? :evil:

Edited by Satans Child

I thought Vanderbeek was right out there watching the team?

As for the jerseys, I'm with Devilish34. NO TO BLACK. But bring back the Christmas Trees for a special occassion sometime.

I didn't see Jeff but I saw who I assume was his son by the Jersey and seats he had during game 1. Of course we all know Jeff sat in the stands for many seasons as a fan before he bought the team but I don't know if he still sits there or not.

Everybody's bitching about the third jerseys thing, but if you'd bother to read the entire article, you'd find that it was merely one sentence in a grand old spleen-vent about how the NHL's marketing sucks. He makes some salient points, but frankly, this drum's been beaten to death. EVERYBODY has written an article about how the NHL couldn't sell bottled water to a guy in the desert. Can't say I read anything new in this one.

Everybody's bitching about the third jerseys thing, but if you'd bother to read the entire article, you'd find that it was merely one sentence in a grand old spleen-vent about how the NHL's marketing sucks. He makes some salient points, but frankly, this drum's been beaten to death. EVERYBODY has written an article about how the NHL couldn't sell bottled water to a guy in the desert. Can't say I read anything new in this one.

It wasn't one of his best, but he's a solid columnist.

I will say that it's an interesting view that a salary cap/"cost certainty" won't be enough to attract big-name onwers as long as the marketing sucks.

<JESTER>

I may get criticized for this, but F#$% the NHL and it's ESPN-style flash marketing. I say Lou gives 'em the one finger salute and take the names off the back.

Except that would be against the rules. Not only are players required to wear their name and number as specified in the rulebook, but I think there's also a rule requiring the name and number to be of a contrasting color to the jersey. Some owner -- I want to say Harold Ballard -- decided to be a wise guy and made the name the same color as the jersey so as to render it unreadable, necessitating a decree that the identifying marks must be distinctly visible.