Rock

'Canes Cole on the mend

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...ae-e75280f45795

DAVE STUBBS

The Gazette

Saturday, April 29, 2006

312802-105042.jpg?

CREDIT: MARIE-FRANCE COALLIER, THE GAZETTE

Erik Cole, wearing neck brace, watches the Hurricanes' morning skate yesterday.

On Monday, doctors in Raleigh, N.C., will remove the cervical thoracic brace from around the broken neck of Erik Cole.

And then the Carolina Hurricanes left winger will hold a special ceremony for the plastic-and-steel support that's been clamped to him almost every minute since early March.

"I'm going to run over it a few times with my Cadillac," Cole said yesterday. "And then I'm going to drive at least a few miles down the highway, dragging it behind the car."

He vows there won't be even a single bolt left to sell on eBay.

It was eight weeks ago today that Cole was crushed head-first into the boards by Pittsburgh Penguins defenceman Brooks Orpik. The check produced a compound fracture of Cole's C5 vertebra, a hit from behind that doctors say came within fractions of an inch of paralyzing one of the NHL's top young stars.

Monday, Cole will shed the hard brace and be fitted for two weeks with a less rigid collar, "just to remind me that I broke my neck," he said, "so I don't snap my head from side to side."

Yesterday, the 27-year-old from Oswego, N.Y., stood at the boards during the Hurricanes' morning skate at the Bell Centre, remembering what it was like to be on the other side of the glass.

He's eager to get back on skates, of course, though there's no firm timetable for that. Cole was having the best season of his four-year NHL career when he was injured; he had 30 goals, eight of them game-winners, and 29 assists in 60 games.

He is healing well, since the frightening idea of surgery was floated six weeks ago, and Cole's presence in the dressing room has been an inspiration for his teammates.

"It's going to be pretty emotional stepping back on the ice with the guys, whenever that will be," he said.

But sooner will come the joy of again scooping up his children - daughter Bella, 4, and son Landon, 21 months - and of being less reliant on his wife, Emily.

"In the last eight weeks, I've put my children to bed maybe five times, and putting my little guy to bed is great, because his personality is really starting to come out," Cole said. "It's not easy when he's trying to climb up your leg and his mother has to say: 'Let Daddy rest.' "

This might be the only way the Canadiens could have kept Cole off the scoresheet. He was poison in three regular-season games against Montreal this year, scoring five goals on only six shots - including a Jan. 31 hat trick - and adding three assists.

On Wednesday, and again last night, Cole inhaled this city's unique playoff air from the press gallery, wishing he'd been on the ice seven storeys below.

"It's pretty miserable sitting upstairs," he said. "You're so close to being a part of the energy, but you're not. It's hard to come to this building, because I love playing here. This is such a great hockey atmosphere."

Many times Cole has replayed the Orpik hit that fractured his neck. The Penguins defenceman, who was suspended for three games, bristles at charges from the Hurricanes and others who label it a cheap shot, and has suggested that Cole shares the blame, saying he turned and ducked just before impact.

"I didn't know that my neck was broken," Cole recalled. "I've been hit hard before, and I've had stingers. But the jolt that went down my arms was a lot more severe than anything I've ever felt."

He was transported to a Pittsburgh hospital, and returned home the following day wearing only a collar. When Raleigh doctors believed the vertebra might be moving, he was fitted with a more restrictive brace - the same one that will wear Cadillac tire treads on Monday.

Cole says that late last month, Orpik tried to get his cellphone number from Mark Recchi, who had been traded to the Hurricanes from Pittsburgh five days after the check.

"I told Mark to tell him not to bother. I wasn't interested in his call," Cole said. "At that point, I felt a call was more for his benefit than for mine, of him trying to clear his conscience.

"It's up to a player to make decisions out there. Things happen quickly, and you choose to take advantage of situations or you don't. Accidents will happen, and there are always going to be mistakes and misfortunes.

"But I think his first comments told me how he really felt about this. I definitely look forward to next year, when we get to play Pittsburgh."

Cole's rehabilitation did not at first include coming to Montreal for Games 3 and 4 of this series. But when the Hurricanes lost the first two at home, he got clearance from his doctors and was welcomed by head coach Peter Laviolette.

"I think my wife was ready to kick me out of the house, too," he joked. "She was a little worried about my being comfortable on the road, but she also understood it would be good for me."

And what fun to goof around with teammates and trainers, "because they run away, knowing they can't fight back."

Cole and his family will spend the summer in Raleigh instead of returning to New York state. They're eager to enjoy the weather and the beaches, and will be close to his doctors, should they be needed.

"This is a week at a time," he said of his recovery. "I'll have to get my range of motion and strength back. Then have another X-ray to rule out ligament damage. If there is, it will require surgery. But getting out of this brace will boost my spirits, for sure. With that, healing will come more easily.

"I feel very fortunate that this wasn't much worse," Cole said, wistfully watching his teammates breeze around the rink. "I'll never take for granted being able to pick up my children."

My props to Eric Cole for his response on Orpik's request to get his phone number...

Orpik is a retard...he should have called immediately, and visited the hospital...

Yes, we're hockey players, but we're also human...the prospect of him having hit a player who suffered an injury that would potentially cause him to lose his livelihood and personal mobility is enough to merit a visit to the hospital...

Shame on you Orpik...may Janssen take care of you next year!!!