Deal/No Deal

Don

I was flipping over during commercials to the Ottawa-Buffalo game. The woman is offered $299,000. She has $1, $50,000, $300,000, $500,000 and $1,000,000 up on the board. I'm, like, don't be stupid. Take the money!!! She gets greedy and takes another case. $1,000,000. I'm like, yeah, that teaches her. She goes again and picks $500,000. She goes again and picks $300,000. And I'm pleased as punch. I love watching greedy people get their just deserts. So in most game shows I hope the people win money. This one, I'm usually hoping that they take home $1.

If she took the $1,000,000, isn't that better for her?

No. You ELIMINATE a possible prize each round. So if you pick $1,000,000 then you eliminate your chance of winning that prize. So once she eliminated all the big prizes ($1,000,000, $500,000 and $300,000) all she was left with was $50,000 or $1.

I always manage to see the last few minutes of this show as it gets recorded before the show I want to watch. One day I'll watch the whole thing but clearly watching the last few minutes is enough. If it was 299K and they took a chance I'd want them to get $1 too. If the offer was like 40K I'd root for them to win more.

Interesting way to revitalize Howie Mandel's career though. Has he quit doing the Boston Pizza ads yet?

Sammy: Boston Pizza is just replaying the old ads they had with him. I haven't seen a new one in maybe a year....

I have been tuning in just because I was a big time Howie fan. From St. Elsewhere, to his stand-up comedy, to the Bobby cartoons.... okay, maybe not the Bobby cartoons, but certainly the Bobby character I liked. :)

Jimmy: Nope. No trivia questions. I think it was Dennis Quaid who was on "The Daily Show" and said that it was his favorite TV show because you could be dumb as a brick and still win lots of cash. :) It's all up to luck, and as mentioned, greed that determines how much money you go home with.

I'm getting addicted to this show too.

I didn't see the episode you're talking about, but the other day I was watching the show where a woman was the first contestant to pick the $1,000,000 case on the first try. :lol: She had such horrible choices. With contestants like this woman where they just seem to be stupid, I root against them. I think she only ended up with a couple thousand and if she had gone with the case she chose in the very beginning, it would've been $5.

I would love to see someone stick with their case all the way until the end to end up with $.01.

Edited by IAmCanadian27

If anyone wants to give it a try to see what we are talking about:

http://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/game/

I just "won" $305,000.

I was reading the wikipedia site that included all the math involved in the game. One section delt with the odds of someone ever winning the $1,000,000. It is INCREDIBLY unlikely. Not just because you would have to have the $1,000,000 in one of the last two cases, but because of human nature. If you had the $1 box and the $1,000,000 box and someone is offering you $500,000 to walk away, the vast majority of people would walk away.

I think a lot of the contenstants get sucked into the rush of the crowd pushing them to go on and greed takes over....in some ways i agree Don...I get fired up if the person is cocky or arrogant...keeps going on and gets next to nothing!!! :lol::lol:

I really just like watching the show if its recorded.. ya can fast forward and get through it quick.. otherwise its too long.

As for the online one.. I cant play it cause I always end up going and going caus ei wanna see what was in the case i chose. :)

So even when its not to win money I still seem greedy because i keep going.

I was just telling someone the other day that I dont understand why the people seem shocked when they pcik a high case and then the offer gets lower... How stupid can they be? They act like they thought it would go up!

Drives me nuts.

The online one at NBC lets you take the deal, and then keep going to see what is in your case. Just like the TV show.

I don't know how good it is to have the family there. Like, the girl last night had her boyfriend there who kept wanting her to take the deal. Her mother was egging her on to keep going. It was the mother that was greedier than the girl. I can't see the relationship between the boyfriend and the girls mother being rosey in the future. I realize that they are there for filler... they have to make the show an hour long. But I think it's going to seriously mess some families up.

As for the crowd.. they seem rather liberal WITH OTHER PEOPLES MONEY. They want them to keep going no matter what.

I liked the 2 little girls who nver get to see their dad cause he is in military and i think divorced from their mom.

And they surprised him and had them there.. and the girls told him to take the deal and they were crying..so he gave in and his case had 500k in it.

Man those girls used their tears and screwed dad over. He still got like 160k or something

OK. Never saw the show. Are they trivia questions?

I dont get the allure... you watch people pick numbers -- there is no skill involved WHATSOEVER... someone explained it to me and it makes no sense... why watch that? No trivia -- no memory -- basically you watch a guy pick numbers :noclue: It's not even like Let's Make a Deal

Not sure if they always make it this interesting but my first try playing the game I decided to pick suitcase 14. I picked my suitcases and all the high numbers went away except 1 million. I decided just for the fun of it to keep going when I should take the deal.

All the small numbers though kept going away and the 1 million was still there until I was down to two numbers, 5000 and 1,000,000. They were offering me 357,500.

I can only imagine how dramatic they would make it if this was on TV. The crowd would be chating No Deal, No Deal while someone in your family would tell you to go for it and someone wouldn't.

Well I picked No Deal and my suitcase had the 1 million.

Now again I am not sure if the internet game always has people picking the million or I was extremely lucky.

Edited by devilsrule33

You were extremely lucky. I've tried the online game a couple dozen times trying to find an optimal mathematical strategy.

PK: You mean that not everyone is calculating risk analysis, worst possible outcomes and beta coefficients in their head?!?!

I think my problem is that I expect people to take the mathematically optimal amount while actual play is also influenced by psychological factors, including perceived luck, fear of embarrassment, and pressure from the audience family or friends.

They play this game on the radio 95.5. People call in and pick boxes or something. I change the station when they start playing. I didn't know it was a tv show too.

I just played the online game out of curiosity. I only care to deal with suitcases when I'm travelling. :P It seemed very dull, but I was just playing on line, nothing to lose or gain.

I knocked out the $1,000,000 cases and the $750,000 cases in the first round. But I kept on saying "NO DEAL!" until I got to the final two cases: $500,000 and $10! I chose to open my case, which happened to have the half-million! NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!

Of course, if I was on the show I probably don't take that chance...not unless I want to spend a whole of nights sleeping on the couch and not getting any.

I liked this show for a while, and Howie Mandel does a great job hosting it, but the allure is starting to wear off for me.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

My problem with the show is they are so consistent in the offers. No matter how well or poorly you do early on, it doesn't matter, the offer is never giving you good enough value on your dollar to stop. The first round should basically just be opening up 20 cases and then they could cut right to the hard decision part.

My problem with the show is they are so consistent in the offers. No matter how well or poorly you do early on, it doesn't matter, the offer is never giving you good enough value on your dollar to stop. The first round should basically just be opening up 20 cases and then they could cut right to the hard decision part.

What I find aggravating is the way they really drag out the later rounds of some of these games. I understand the value of building up the tension and suspense, but it reaches the point where you just want them to get on with it already! Sometimes 2 or 3 rounds where they're only picking one case per round can take up to 20-25 minutes. It's like watching an NCAA basketball game...the first 17 minutes take about a half-hour or so, and the last three minutes seem to take almost as long.

• 2 weeks later...

I flipped over at the end of the first period to see a woman being offered $79,000 and the only big numbers she had left were 1,000,000 and 300,000. I'm, like, you're crazy. Take the money. Anyhow, like usual, the 1,000,000 pops up and the offer drops to 30-something. She works it back up to $71,000 and 300,000 is the only big number. EVERYONE is saying take the deal... and she says NO DEAL?!?!?! Obviously, 300,000 comes up.

She ends up leaving with $50!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

AND SHE'S JUMPING UP AND DOWN! WHERE DO THEY FIND THESE PEOPLE?!?! "I was just happy to be here".

OK...if we are confessing, does anyone else enjoy watching Antiques Roadshow for the times that people are told the things they think are worth $$$ are worthless???

OK...if we are confessing, does anyone else enjoy watching Antiques Roadshow for the times that people are told the things they think are worth $$$ are worthless???

They actually show that? Mostly I see when someone has something worth far more than they thought. 'Antique Roadshow' came through Ottawa last year and one of the appraisers said the most commonly used phrase at these shows is "I'm sure this holds a lot of sentimental value, but...."