Devils @ Carolina OGT: 3pm NBC

msweet

Hmmm... I think everyone we said were non playoff factors today scored...

This game is now over... game 2 will be a dogfight

who said they're non playoff factors? Carolina has a batch of extremely deep, skilled forwards....they're going to hurt you from time to time. But the Carolina D and goaltending will be exposed later on in the series, that's why we'll win. But this isn't the Rangers, they'll score on us.

after however many games in a row, this was bound to happen. It was a lot later than I thought...

Edited by '7'

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall taking a run at Larose - good.

Doug Weight scoring a fluky goal - even better.

Hey Jester, you still think Carolina's power play isn't scary?

Tri, have you seen the goals they've scored today? And the only thing scary about the last couple have been the complete lack of motivation by the players in front of Marty.

Sorry, but I'll take the last two months as a case study on Carolina's power play instead of one game where the Devils scored three goals for them.

<JESTER>

Tri, have you seen the goals they've scored today? And the only thing scary about the last couple have been the complete lack of motivation by the players in front of Marty.

Sorry, but I'll take the last two months as a case study on Carolina's power play instead of one game where the Devils scored three goals for them.

<JESTER>

While some of the goals are fluky, they have been in the Devils' zone for a large portion of the power play.

As bad a sthe Devils have been this game Im not really to worried about them. I dont know about anybody else but in a way I think this might be just what the team needs. I think the long lay off really hurt the team and a good ass whipping is just what the team needs to get their focus where it needs to be. Carolina is a pretty good team but its obvious the Devils were no were near their best and the Canes got the puck to bounce their way the entire game. I just wish the score was a little more respectable but whats the difference. One goal was all the Canes needed anyway. The Devils will be much better in game 2.

As someone said in their preview of the series, don't go all crazy when the Devils lose game one.

Anyone else notice how Laviolette was like "NJ is a trapping team" at the beggining? wtf is your team playing? the 1-2-2? the press? the left-wing lock?

Meh, the streak had to end some time...Horrible game but we'll come back next game and be far better..GAURANTEED!!!

The play-by-play guy sucks.

Can we FOR ONCE run another team's goalie?

Show some traffic in front.

How? Did you see the cross pattern of Hurricanes bunched around the net like a freaking turnicate? They just bumped our players off the puck all night, won every battle on the boards, kept us out of their crease area with their stingy defense, won more faceoffs, had more takeaways and received more giveaways. I'm glad they didn't manage to do more on 5 on 5. It looked like they were just bigger people and whenever a NJ player touched the puck a Carolina player would just nudge them off it.

Anyway, that sucked.

Towards the end of Period 3 we had a couple more chances, but we really didn't create any promising chances around the net. Passes were not crisp. Players were caught standing still with the puck looking for a pass. The last power play had the best puck movement since the first 5 minutes of the game.

Edited by Cowutopia

Brodeur was Ward's idol eh? Well he tried to do a Brodeur like spectacular save but the only problem was it was going wide of the net and was going very slowly. What a fake job too.

Yeah, absolutely awful. It actually reminded me more of Patrick Roy's showboating after making a sh!tty save with the glove.

And on the highlights, they made it seem like that was BETTER than Brodeur's save. Unbelievable.

First I am glad that Chico wasn't announcing that would have only added more pain today.

Carolina has a great offense with a number of 20 goal scorers versus the Devils with only 2.

Lou's late pickup played poorly today. Changing lines was stupid.

The Devils offense was non-existent. No one went to the net, most shots from too far out because they believed they were beat. The defense was a joke. Call it rust, I say they thought they were better because of the Rangers games and the Canes are a much better team than both team Rangers and Devils.

Marry had some tough breaks, made some great saves and some bad mistakes. A bad day in goal, that's all in back of a bad defense and offense.

On to game 2. This will be a difficult series but not impossible unless they get behind by 2.

Devils need more offense period. One and 1/2 lines isn't enough, not against speed and size with a decent goalie.

How? Did you see the cross pattern of Hurricanes bunched around the net like a freaking turnicate? They just bumped our players off the puck all night, won every battle on the boards, kept us out of their crease area with their stingy defense, won more faceoffs, had more takeaways and received more giveaways. I'm glad they didn't manage to do more on 5 on 5. It looked like they were just bigger people and whenever a NJ player touched the puck a Carolina player would just nudge them off it.

Anyway, that sucked.

Towards the end of Period 3 we had a couple more chances, but we really didn't create any promising chances around the net. Passes were not crisp. Players were caught standing still with the puck looking for a pass. The last power play had the best puck movement since the first 5 minutes of the game.

Gets it.

Yeah, absolutely awful. It actually reminded me more of Patrick Roy's showboating after making a sh!tty save with the glove.

And on the highlights, they made it seem like that was BETTER than Brodeur's save. Unbelievable.

What about the save on Parise's deflection before that? Does that count?

Yeah - I agree with Cowtopia completely too (but I hate "gets it" as if it was that difficult to see? :blink: or anyone is arguing the point?).

They devils were there and just like what? Deer in the headlights? Just ick!! They weren't crisp with the Rangers either but at least they moved the freaking puck in timely fashion...

Hmehh... no big deal though -- or, perhaps, such a huge deal that it just doesn't matter now :evil:

a couple of thoughts after this clunker-

chico notwithstanding, brodeur was AWFUL, but i'll give him one throwaway.

while the devils were certainly rusty, the hurricanes played a perfect game. their defense played very well and they contested the devils on every play. i don't think the devils were ready for this type of game and certainly couldn't or wouldn't make any adjustments. hurricane dumps into the zone were not contested and the canes came away with every puck. the devils never recognized on the PP that the canes were pressuring the puck and try to move it around. the devils took 1/2 the game to realize they couldn't skate right into the zone, and then went into hard dumps around the board that didn't work once instead of cross ice dumps.

this game was a mirror image (almost to a T) of game 1 vs. the rangers. it's funny, but janssen did just about what hollweig did and we called hollweig a punk. i have no problem with the hit against como, but i don't think the fight was necessarily called for. then again, there wasn't an attempt to injure like hollweig on rafalski early.

i do agree with all that Cam Ward did absoultely nothing tonight. this was an easier shutout than marty's game 3 job.

i would like to see effort and adjustments for the devils on monday.

I swear if Peter McNab makes more dumb comments about coincedences I'm going to scream. Give me Chico Resch back, please.

Yes, Tampa walked away from Stillman's arbitration award - good for them, 'cause the guy isn't any good. Most underrated forward in the league - LOL. Sure. For a ton of PP assists and nothing else, Stillman's your man.

STFU -- I swear he's the jinx...the captain's legacy <_< I don't even want to read that name again.... :unsure: the Cane's player that is -- not the announcers :giggle:

Edited by Darwindog

I was there sitting directly behind the devs penalty box in the red elias jersey so I got to see *A LOT* of the players up close today. uggh.

To me, I paid good money to see the canes play poorly against some team called the imposters. the canes surely could have scored more entertaining goals against their opponents (if you could call putting in 3 goals yourself opposing the other team). Hopefully the real devils show up on monday, and dont miss their flight or whatever like what happened today.

"Losing 6-0 in the first game of the series is not something to look back on," Brodeur said. "A lot of things went wrong.I don't think you can point at one thing. Our special teams were not up to par."

"These guys are so much quicker," Brodeur said. "They have puck pressure everywhere. Their power play, they are definitely doing something we're going to have to take a look at."

"We're not happy about the result," New Jersey centre Patrik Elias said. "This is the playoffs and we have to take it as it is. Our special teams didn't do a good job and theirs did. That was the main reason why they won."

"We're not looking for any excuses whatsoever," general manager and coach Lou Lamoriello said. "We didn't do some of the little things that we've been doing that gave us the success that we've had."