Brodeur on Roy

SueNJ97

I have no idea why Marty is writing while he's on vacation in Key West.

I can just see the GF trying to get him to go to the beach and him at the laptop saying (in French), "But I'm not done writing yet, it's just starting to flow...besides, did you see what that jack-ass Roy SAID?! Of course, I can't write it like that."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2006/05/31/1607942

Patrick Speaks, Everyone Listens

By Martin Broodeur, Special to Slam! Sports

I'm currently on vacation in Key West, but that doesn't stop me from keeping an eye on the NHL playoffs and the Memorial Cup Tournament.

This is how I came to hear about the controversy surrounding Patrick Roy's harsh outburst last week about Ted Nolan and his statement to the effect that Moncton Wildcats goalie Josh Tordjman was just about ready to come apart at the seams.

Roy has launched a new career behind the bench.

But his attitude hasn't changed in the least: He is still taking all of the means necessary to win.

He has had a brilliant career as a player in the National Hockey League. Here he is now, taking on a new challenge with the same verve.

Patrick is always committed 100 per cent when he starts something. Now he wants to take back the Memorial Cup.

Roy was always renowned for being outspoken. He won't change. His words only gave rise to a storm because of his celebrity status.

If any other coach had made the same kind of comments, no one would have heard about it. But when Patrick speaks, the media is all ears. This is normal, since the public is interested in his opinions.

Once I reach the end of my career, I really don't know if I could stand behind a junior team's bench; helming young players is not always easy.

Roy has his own methods, and I must say that mine are different.

I don't personally feel it necessary to set about disrupting an opposing player's concentration, especially any young guy for whom Roy is an icon.

On the other hand, I'd be surprised if Patrick were still Josh Tordjman's idol right now.

Coming down on an opposing player is simply not my type of move.

For instance, I would have never said anything negative about Cam Ward when we faced one another in the second round of the playoffs.

My philosophy is simple: I can only control what I can bring the team. I don't believe in such intimidation tactics.

But, heck. Patrick is a winner, and he will do everything in his power to achieve his ultimate goal.

As for the Stanley Cup semi-finals, I'm not surprised to have seen two goalie changes recently.

The playoffs are long and exhausting.

The netminders face more shots than before due to the more open game and many penalties.

It is only natural that they become tired and that their game becomes less consistent after a long while.

Ilja Bryzgalov left his spot to Jean-Sebastien Giguere, and the Mighty Ducks managed to save their skin in Edmonton as a result.

Cam Ward had also started to crack, and Peter Laviolette was well advised to call on the services of Martin Gerber Friday night in Buffalo.

The Sabres are in trouble as a result of the absence of three robust defencemen, Henrik Tallinder, Teppo Numminen and Dmitri Kalinin.

Sooner or later, such voids end up hurting a team.

he has definately written better articles. this one is more like a blog of random thoughts...

he should have just come out and said what we all know he really thinks...roy is an ass.

yeah, the "i coulda said mean things to the fragile youngster" angle is pretty laughable...but hey, it's pretty cool that he shares his thoughts.

maybe he should have tried to rattle wards cage...he should have pulled a hextall and skated over and beat the puss out of him...lol!

I dunno. He said that Roy would pull out all the tricks to win games... and go places that he wouldn't go. Patrick will do anything and everything to win. And is successful at it.

Quebec won not because of Roy's comments as the Wildcats D broke down. Tordjman wasn't the reason Moncton lost. Also, stupid, stupid penalties cost them as well. Again, nothing to do with the goaltender. However, the fact that Roy was trying to play head games with the other team was a good ploy.

Brodeur *IS* saying that he is a nice guy. But he's also saying that he knows that nice guys finish last.

OK, I take the article with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila.

First of all Marty is on vaction, in Key West.

Sun, sand, booze, his hot girlfriend running around in her little bikini...how much thought do you think he really put into this article. He was probably half crocked when he wrote it or tired from an all night marathon (no pun intended).

Marty should listen to his own advise.

"As for the Stanley Cup semi-finals, I'm not surprised to have seen two goalie changes recently.

The playoffs are long and exhausting.

The netminders face more shots than before due to the more open game and many penalties.

It is only natural that they become tired and that their game becomes less consistent after a long while. "

He should spend his time resting on vacation and not writing.

if i was on vacaton with marty, he'd have no damn time to write this article to no where...his girlfriend obviously isn't doing her job...*cracking knuckles* i'm going in boys!

be gentle, we dont want to see any nagging groin injuries.

The way he set up this article was akward.

Leaving a space between almost every line.

Almost like a haiku poem.

Patty wah's the man.

He's a nutjob and it's great.

have fun on vacay.

The way he set up this article was akward.

Leaving a space between almost every line.

Almost like a haiku poem.

Patty wah's the man.

He's a nutjob and it's great.

have fun on vacay.

Patty Wah is a nutjob, it is true. He also had to pay the ex-wife even more than Marty in the divorce settlement. $22 million dollars plus child support plus the house in Florida is what Michelle Roy got. Damn. That's serious money. Did he pull more doors off the hinges??? Not that he didn't have money, he made $70 million dollars. But, damn. That's the mother of all divorce settlements.

But being divorced does leave him all the time in the world to be part owner, full-time GM and full-time head coach of the team. He doesn't have to pretend to show up at home anymore. :P

I didn't know roy and michelle got divorced?

When did Roy get divorced?

Don't know exactly when the divorce was final, but a November, 2005 article on Roy taking over as coach of the Remparts included the following:

Roy has remodelled his 100-year-old Lac Beauport home into a spectacular 1,350-square-metre estate. He and his former wife, Michele, a couple made infamous five years ago through an ugly 911 incident that resulted in a charge of domestic assault against Roy that was later dismissed, have split, with Michele assuming ownership of the couple's home in Jupiter, Fla., in an enormous divorce settlement.

More than 22 years after leaving Ste-Foy for Granby, and 21/2 years after he could no longer summon the passion to face the world's best shooters, the 40-year-old Roy is back in his hometown trying to score a few goals in pickup hockey three times a week, playing father to his kids, taking the odd Rempart to his mother's house for dinner and rebuilding his personal life.

I saw the actual financial details on the divorce elsewhere. So I'd say he's divorced.