Its Official: Hennessy, Velischeck Fired

Devilsdude530

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../606080348/1119

Hennessy, Velischek booted from radio booth

BY MIKE KERWICK

GANNETT NEW JERSEY

In a move that strips the radio booth of two links to the team's short-but-victory-laden past, the Devils are sweeping out two voices of winter who called hockey during New Jersey's championship seasons.

John Hennessy and Randy Velischek, the radio voices of the Devils, will not be in the booth for the 2006-07 hockey season.

"We just made a decision we will be making both a play-by-play and color (commentary)... change," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello.

Velischek has been the color voice of the Devils dating back to the 1995 season. Hennessy has called 327 Devils regular season games and 44 playoff contests, including the team's victory in Game 7 of the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals.

"I'm surprised and saddened by their decision," Hennessy said. "But I have a great deal of respect for Lou and I accept his decision. In fact, I'm indebted to Lou and the Devils organization for letting me realize my dream of being an NHL broadcaster."

Velischek, a former Devils defenseman whose relationship with Lamoriello stretches all the way back to Providence College, did not return a phone message left for him Wednesday.

Lamoriello said the Devils have yet to name replacements for the two posts.

Ken Daneyko, the three-Cup defenseman who has done television work for Fox Sports and would seem a natural fit, said he was not interested in the job Wednesday afternoon.

Hennessy said the timing is unfortunate because he has never been more passionate about the game.

"For me," Hennessy said, "I guess it's time to test the waters and see what other opportunities exist."

Dowd a Devil?

Jim Dowd, an unrestricted free agent from Brick who skated this past season for Chicago and Colorado, wants to spend the upcoming season in a Devils sweater.

"If I did have a choice," Dowd said, "my No. 1 choice would be to play back in New Jersey."

Dowd will turn 38 in December. He scored five goals and had 13 assists in 78 games. A fan favorite in the Garden State, Dowd scored the game-winning goal for New Jersey in Game 2 of the 1995 Stanley Cup Finals.

Only his most recent employer, the Colorado Avalanche, can negotiate for Dowd's services at the moment. On July 1, Dowd can talk to other teams, including the Devils.

I've always loved Jim Dowd it would be great to see him come back to New Jersey. He may not be the player he was back in 1995, but he still looks good on the ice every time I see him play. Something to keep in the memory bank, we'll see what happens.

I met Velischeck several times while interning with the Devils and must say he is a true gentleman. While I not saying Velischeck was awesome on the radio, he did have his good moments as an announcer with the Devils. Sucks to see good people get fired.

It really sucks about john and randy :angry:

i pretty much have to listen to every game on the radio, unless i am lucky with the tv schedule , and both the guys were awsome, they really felt ever goal and every hit and made it feel like i was in the arena.

PROPPER SUCKS

I was never much of a Hennessy fan (Mike Miller will always be the voice of the Devils to me), but I liked Velischek and don't see why Lou gave them both the ax.

Jim Dowd doesn't fit here. We have enough small forwards and he's 38 years old.

I never listened to the radio but it's a surprise to see both go at same time. Must be a money issue with Lou.

As for Dano not accepting the radio job I am so glad. I want Lou to fire Chico and replace Chico with Dano as the color person.

If Dano doesn't want the TV job then replace Chico with someone. I am so tired listening to his mistakes, his insite to the mental attitude of the Devils players, he should be a shink, and his failure to accept that Marty makes mistakes.

I like Doc and John Davidson as the TV commentators.

Dano is so great on TV relaxed and knowledgeable about the g ame and the Devils and he calls a spade a spade.

Please Lou say goodbye to Chico

I never listened to the radio but it's a surprise to see both go at same time. Must be a money issue with Lou.

As for Dano not accepting the radio job I am so glad. I want Lou to fire Chico and replace Chico with Dano as the color person.

If Dano doesn't want the TV job then replace Chico with someone. I am so tired listening to his mistakes, his insite to the mental attitude of the Devils players, he should be a shink, and his failure to accept that Marty makes mistakes.

I like Doc and John Davidson as the TV commentators.

Dano is so great on TV relaxed and knowledgeable about the g ame and the Devils and he calls a spade a spade.

Please Lou say goodbye to Chico

Dano is not relaxed yet... he still gets nervous and stumbles... he'll get over it.. but Im not sure he should be a full time color commentator... let him do dano's den another year... and get him interveiwing players just so he can get more spontaneous with the stumbles...

That's too bad for both guys. I echo LOTCB's thoughts on both as I also had the pleasure of meeting each. And they were good guys.

I wonder what the Devils are thinking here. They do need to replace them with people with reps since they are on WFAN.

WTH?

Do they count against the cap or something?

sheesh.

I like a Homer to come home. I like the loyalty and the drive to play for your HOME team. If we do get Dowd, I think we'll get his best year of production in his career. :thumbsup: I know, I know, that aint saying a whole lot. ;)

I am VERY upset by the decision by the firing of Henessy and ESPECIALLY Velischeck.

Henessy was the best replacement for Miller and Velischeck was just THE BEST!

I will miss these guys calling Devils games and it will be VERY HARD to find replacements as good as they were.

Which leaves the question.. why were they fired?

I guess this is just Lou wanting to make a change.

Let's face it, we don't even know why Arsena was fired, so we probably won't find out here either.

I like both guys. Although I felt Veli over-reacted in tight games as to how well the Devils were playing. I did not listen to radio so much that that bothered me.

I love Dano's den I hope that stays. He said he didn't want to travel much, so that's fine with me.

I never even know which station the Islanders are on, but I've heard their announcer is good, Weiderman?