Nhl Draft Thread

Derek21

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They said they were going to get the feed back.

2 more picks to go.

I thought you were referring to the OLN coverage?

I guess it's funny to me cause I'm used to having to wait hours for the Jets to pick only for them to trade down :P Plus it was amusing seeing all those people run to the phones after it happened :lol:

Edited by Hasan4978

I almost went. I was at the Yankee Rain and if they had run busses from the PA I would have gone since I was in NYC anyway.

I think we gambled and lost on the trade down. Also, I think we got ripped off on the trade. Look at what Montreal got from SJ to drop 4 spots. I realize the spots were higher but both spots were. I dunno, I am not all that impressed on first glance.

Edited by PeteyNice

I almost went. I was at the Yankee Rain and if they had run busses from the PA I would have gone since I was in NYC anyway.

I think we gambled and lost on the trade down. Also, I think we got ripped off on the trade. Look at what Montreal got from SJ to drop 4 spots. I realize the spots were higher but both spots were. I dunno, I am not all that impressed on first glance.

I dunno, Zharkov seems to have a lot of upside and Corrente may have been the defenseman the Devils wanted and would have taken at 25 anyway if forced to.

I dunno, Zharkov seems to have a lot of upside and Corrente may have been the defenseman the Devils wanted and would have taken at 25 anyway if forced to.

It is possible but I have my doubts. Knowing the Devils penchant for college kids (Summers) and, this year anyway, Russians (Vishnevskiy) makes me think that Corrente was the consolation prize.

It is possible but I have my doubts. Knowing the Devils penchant for college kids (Summers) and, this year anyway, Russians (Vishnevskiy) makes me think that Corrente was the consolation prize.

Huh? If Lou wanted these players, he would have drafted one of them himself. You don't move down in the draft and then hope your guy will still be there - you move down when you can be sure he'll still be there.

Huh? If Lou wanted these players, he would have drafted one of them himself. You don't move down in the draft and then hope your guy will still be there - you move down when you can be sure he'll still be there.

Whenever you trade down you risk someone taking the guy you want. You can never be sure that he will still be there when your new pick comes around. Also consider that we had not taken a Canadian Major Junior player in the first round since 2001 with Foster and then before that 1997 with J-F Damphousse. We will never know who the Devils really wanted but the evidence presented makes me believe we gambled and lost.

What evidence? There is no evidence that tells me the Devils didn't get who they wanted. The evidence, the fact they moved down, tells me the Devils had a few guys who they liked equally well and they knew at least one of them would fall to the Devils at 30.

langs15: Crosby, Mario. Brodeur, Robitaille off the top of my head.

731: From what the scouting reports that said Corrente was a big reach at 30, that we rarely draft CHL players in the first round and that two much more highly touted went D-Men, one of which right before us at 29 went between 25 and 30. Lou will of course say that we got the guy we would have taken at 25 but I do not believe him. I think the Phoenix/Detroit trade took them by surprise.

Edited by PeteyNice

langs15: Crosby, Mario. Brodeur, Robitaille off the top of my head.

731: From what the scouting reports that said Corrente was a big reach at 30, that we rarely draft CHL players in the first round and that two much more highly touted went D-Men, one of which right before us at 29 went between 25 and 30. Lou will of course say that we got the guy we would have taken at 25 but I do not believe him. I think the Phoenix/Detroit trade took them by surprise.

There isn't a chance that this is what happened. Do you really think that the Devils would trade down and try to get Brian Summers anyway? That's nuts - he was ranked higher than 25th by all the scouting services. Also - the CBA has changed, and as a result the Devils can draft a CHL kid without worrying that he will pop back into the draft looking for an enormous bonus. Now that European players operate under the same rules as CHL players and college kids operate under similar rules, there's no longer the downside to picking a CHL player.

Plus - insufficient sample size. The CHL produces wonderful hockey players - or haven't you noticed most of the NHL is Canadian? The Devils may not have picked from the CHL by happenstance rather than by actual design.

I seem to remember us taking a CHL player by the name of Scott Gomez in 1998 - I could be wrong.

Recent Q star players: Simon Gagne, Brad Richards, Vincent Lecavalier.

Edited by Triumph

Tri, that is not true. The Van Ryn Loophole (start in college, get drafted. go to CHL, become Free Agent) has not been closed AFAIK.

It is totally possible that the Devils wanted either Summers or Vishneskiy (sp) the two highly rated D-Men left and figured one of them would be there at 30. I do not believe the Devils really intended to draft Corrente that high (if the Devils were that interested in him he would have been at the draft) but when the two top guys were gone the Devils were left holding the bag, needed a D-Man and took the next one on their list.

Tri, that is not true. The Van Ryn Loophole (start in college, get drafted. go to CHL, become Free Agent) has not been closed AFAIK.

It is totally possible that the Devils wanted either Summers or Vishneskiy (sp) the two highly rated D-Men left and figured one of them would be there at 30. I do not believe the Devils really intended to draft Corrente that high (if the Devils were that interested in him he would have been at the draft) but when the two top guys were gone the Devils were left holding the bag, needed a D-Man and took the next one on their list.

I can't see Lou being so foolish to trade down just 5 spots to hope their guy is still left there. The reward is too low for the risk. It makes way more sense that Lou traded down to get Corriente - otherwise he would've stayed at 25 and taken one of these guys.

Let's just put out our explanations:

Mine: "Lou traded down because he wanted Corriente and knew he'd still be available at 30, so he made a deal to get another pick in the draft."

Yours: "Lou traded down because he wanted Summers or Vishnevsky and thought one of them would still be available at thirty, and figured he could get another pick in the draft out of it."

Which is of these is more sensible?

And as for not having Corriente at the draft, perhaps the Devils had Bob Sanguinetti tops on their list. Or Dennis Persson. Or Mark Mitera - these guys were already taken, however.

I'm pretty sure the Van Ryn loophole was closed and I'll peruse the CBA for it. Even so, not every player in college was drafted by a CHL team, so the loophole mostly only applied to Canadian-born players who excelled and were picked by a CHL team despite their plans to go to college. I suppose American-born Barrett Heisten took the Van Ryn loophole and signed with the Rangers - it worked out well for him.

EDIT - It appears Article 8.6c (ii) clearly closes the loophole, as it says that any player who leaves college shall be the property of their drafting team until the 4th June after the date they are drafted.

Edited by Triumph

This is what happens when they pick someone off the board. It couldn't possibly be who they wanted, well, because it's not who we wanted. Or TSN. Or anyone else. But we weren't picking, they were. So unless we've become psychic, we don't know that it wasn't who they wanted.

I think they genuinely wanted Foster, and saw him as a diamond in the rough talent.

The weird thing about the Russian picks by the Devils, is that a lot of them fell, because although there is a new transfer agreement, many teams did not feel confident enough to reach and take them.

Some scouts also felt that the level of play had dropped post-lockout.

Mine: "Lou traded down because he wanted Corriente and knew he'd still be available at 30, so he made a deal to get another pick in the draft."

Yours: "Lou traded down because he wanted Summers or Vishnevsky and thought one of them would still be available at thirty, and figured he could get another pick in the draft out of it."

Which is of these is more sensible?

And as for not having Corriente at the draft, perhaps the Devils had Bob Sanguinetti tops on their list. Or Dennis Persson. Or Mark Mitera - these guys were already taken, however.

More likely the Devils didn't want to tip their hand by not inviting him to the draft since he was projected as a second/third rounder in most circles. If they invite one of their famous 'off the board' picks to the draft then everyone starts bumping him up their boards.

I tend to agree with you, the third round pick isn't worth enough to gamble on one or two guys not being there, more likely Lou had a bunch of guys including Corriente rated similarly and a couple of them did get taken so he didn't want to gamble on Corriente not being there in the late second round.

Edited by Hasan4978

Just got some interesting news on Corrente from my neighbor who works for the Devils and does a lot of work with scouting - his computer system which is set up to rate players based on 30 criteria did not even list this player as a possible 1st round pick for New Jersey. Therefore, this was a Lou and Conte move - they must see something in him that goes beyond what quantification can measure.

I figured this could be for every team that picks. It doesn't start until 6 but there's sure to be some interesting selections and maybe some deals. Maybe we can keep an update on who gets selected.

Sticking with the trade theme, an enlightening chat between myself and LOTCB:

LOTCB: im still in $hock

Derek: ???

LOTCB: Sabres have dealt for Pronger...no way did i anticipate this

Derek: LMAO

LOTCB: Sean Pronger that is!!

LOTCB: hahahahaa

Derek: you are a maniac

Derek: LOL

LOTCB: lmfao

LOTCB: you all jacked up??

Derek: i heard the Rangers swung a deal too

Derek: they pulled off a blockbuster

LOTCB: really

Derek: yes!

Derek: they acquired Valeri Bure

Derek: for a Rangerette and Dolan's harmonica

LOTCB: looooooooooooooooool

LOTCB: did they really get Bure??

Derek: yes they wanted to continue with the theme of acquiring the wrong brother

LOTCB: you cannot be $eriou$

Derek: what if I wa$

LOTCB: id laugh

LOTCB: cmon!

Derek: so would i

Derek: LOL

LOTCB: looooooooooool

As you can tell, we have issues. Hahahaha

:lol::lol::lol: WTFF :rofl::haha2::haha2: