Yea Supposedly Next 13 Games On Fsny!

Rock

I don't live in Nj so can soemone explain this to me. What is Metro? A specialty channel?

There are so many winter sports teams in the NY Metro area, thus two sports Networks: MSG or Madison Square Garden Network and Fox Sports net. They used to be two different networks, then Cablevision gobbled them both up. When there are too many conflicts (normally) the extra game is shunted to the "Metro" channel. The problem is that it normally programs only shows for people who live in Manhatten only. But Cablevision who owns the Knicks, Rangers, MSG and the sports networks and the Devils broadcast rights, wants the local cable companies to carry it but as a premium service. The other cable companies (based in the suburbs) don't want to put on a NYC centric station that has no relevence to their customers.( at least not to pay for it.) So they don't carry Metro. Cablevision also doesn't allow the signal to be picked up by the satellite. So, whenever the Devils are on Metro a good 80% of the fan base never gets to see the game. Because of Federal regulations the satellite can't pick up the other teams feed on Center ice.

So that's why a couple of weeks ago many Devils fans in NJ didn't see Nieuwendyk's 500 goal live.

There are other factors such as Cablevisions feud with the new Yankee network (YES). Remember the Yankees are the Devils parent company so a previously unheard of 24 Devil games are on Metro this year! :angry:

I hope that sort of gives a feel of why so many anti- Metro posts appearing on this board.

I hate Metro because if they have the Devils' game, I know I'm gonna get the other team's feed on Center Ice, which is usually awful (like last night on Empire :puke: ). But I can't complain too much, because at least I get to see the game, unlike the fans in NJ.

I just can't say often enough how much that whole situation stinks! :angry:

Actually I think it'll be 4, since the 3/22 game is listed on FSNY on the Islanders page.

But also get ready for those Metro playoff games.

The schedule shows 5 games in March on Metro including the one vs the Isles...of the 5 games 3 are consecutive games:

Tue 18-Mar at Montreal 7:30

Fri 21-Mar Pittsburgh 7:30

Sat 22-Mar at NY Islanders 7:00

The other 2 are:

Tue 4-Mar at Minnesota 8:00

Fri 28-Mar at Atlanta 7:30

Sure would be nice if that Isles game was on FSNY since it is a home game for them...wonder if we would get blacked out tho...only the Isles and Rangers show up on 2 channels when they play each other...MSG and FSNY :wacko:

Actually I think it'll be 4, since the 3/22 game is listed on FSNY on the Islanders page.

But also get ready for those Metro playoff games.

Yah that's true. I guess they are going to have separate broadcasts for the two teams. They did that earlier with an Isles/Rags game. Tough choice, JD or Micheletti. :D

This wasn't an issue when the good MSG had MSG2 and MSG3 available when more than one Garden team were playing on a given night.

That's before the evil corporation came in and destroyed the two teams and ripped off viewers.

One other thing about Metro that truely sucks for those of us who get to see the games is that the picture quality is absolutely terrible. It is as if they haven't properly calibrated their equipment or it is so old it is failing.

I am not sure if anyone knows what i am talking about but the picture is almost oversaturated with light or the white balance is off. You can barely see the lines, Cricles, goal crease and puck. Some nights it is as if there are bodyless heads floating around the ice for whatever team is wearing white. Granted it isn't as bad as I make it out but it is terrible makes me think I am in a time warp watching late 60's sports broadcasting.

Sometimes I think I may be better off just listening to the play by play on 770 rather than punishing my eyes being frustrated.

I have direct tv and it doesnt offer metro as of yet. Thankfully, I get metro thru cable tho. And yea, the picture quality does suck. Almost as much as the intermissions with the whole "bid new york" thing.

Actually tho, I do remember reading something about changing the zip code in the set up menu if you are talking about unblocking center ice. Sorry, I dont remember the details as I don't have the problem.

ANOTHER Staten Islander ?? ROCK !! :)

Actually the worst thing about Metro is the fact that EVERY intermission they're trying to sell you god knows how many pieces of Ranger memorbilia and now even Islander stuff... and the fact we've had NO pre-game show for the last 4 road games.. there is a MAJOR confilict of intrest going here that the NHL lacks the balls to look into :P

ANOTHER Staten Islander ?? ROCK !! :)

Actually the worst thing about Metro is the fact that EVERY intermission they're trying to sell you god knows how many pieces of Ranger memorbilia and now even Islander stuff... and the fact we've had NO pre-game show for the last 4 road games.. there is a MAJOR confilict of intrest going here that the NHL lacks the balls to look into :P

Nah, I'm a central Jersey girl. We just happen to get Cablevision here, while most people get Comcast I think. I used to hang out in Staten Island when I was younger tho, hmmm can't remember the name of the bar. Someone told us we could get served there and yep it was true. Uhmm back to Metro... :rolleyes:

At least they could change the intermission shows, other than monthly that is. I was shocked this month they have devils stuff. Not that it makes it watching it any more fun hehehe.

They don't give us a pre-game half the nights which looks cheesy, I don't they really care about the quality of the broadcasts anymore :)

I'd bet ya the bar in SI is no more now.. no wonder I am moving to Central Jersey sooner then later.. so where can I move to keep getting metro and not tap on Paige for 30 games last year *l*

They don't give us a pre-game half the nights which looks cheesy, I don't they really care about the quality of the broadcasts anymore :)

I'd bet ya the bar in SI is no more now.. no wonder I am moving to Central Jersey sooner then later.. so where can I move to keep getting metro and not tap on Paige for 30 games last year *l*

Haha, yea that is a consideration to make when moving for sure...try this link.

Cablevision customer service phone numbers

he thinks the smell is bad there... I get the "mountain" view all day long :)

as for the moving thing.. yeah I am worried about it... I need my hockey, and recapping off the radio SUCKS :P

Good thing about Staten Island is that there are a lot of Devil fans here, me being one of them. The Staten Island Advance(newspaper) gives better coverage than any other NY paper. CRAsHER, what bar are you speaking about? And derek, it dosen't stink that bad, only the summer it smells. ;)