It's time for Fantasy Hockey again!

NJDevs4978

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, is Sept. 9th the set date for the live draft? Is it possible to push it back a couple days or even push it forward a couple?

My team name is "J.Love" in honour of the most underrated musician in recent years, G.Love. I can't believe I like him so much considering he comes out of that dump across the Delaware River called Philly.....

what about penalties.. are we using that category again??? if so we should flip it, meaning it better to get less penaties not more like we did last year....

Hasan said PIMs are gone which is a good choice. Unforunately I don't think you can reverse the PIMs stipulation, unless Yahoo! got wise and changed them to minimum PIMs.

Definitely count me in. Feline Fanatics same as last year. I hope I actually get a goaltender worth something this year. I like faceoffs, sometimes, when your centers have an otherwise horrible game, that's the only thing they bring to the table that night. Not sure what to do with PIMS. It used to be that you could have a physical (not just a fighter, but a physical player who might get a few roughing minors or an occasional fighting call to bring up the PIMs). But now, there are so few of those calls happening and so many of the hooking, holding, obstruction, that I'm not sure whether there wouldn't be more of a case to be made, if you were picking up someone for PIMs, to pick up 'Captain Hook' Martin Rucinsky. I might not object to taking it out.

Oh, yes, my 'No Ranger' rule still applies. :evil:

I was looking through last season's player stats. I noticed that Elias was designated a center. My question to the people who played before: Will the game allow me to put a player designated a center into a wing slot(in this case a real life wing slot :P ) or even in a more extreme case into a defence slot?

I'm assuming the answer is no, but I had to ask. (I know everyone's thinking Rock is being a pain in the a$$ about this. Sorry in advance.) B )

First off: Tom, Dick and also Harry (my whorish goaltenders) actually got me out of last place and into the middle of the pack last season.

Second: I too, need to avenge this standing

Third: having points awarded from "shots" is kind of silly and redundant (this will be the same players that will be in the points, goals and PP categories). I would vote to have PIM's reinstated because it ads alot more strategy into the draft.

I was looking through last season's player stats. I noticed that Elias was designated a center. My question to the people who played before: Will the game allow me to put a player designated a center into a wing slot(in this case a real life wing slot :P ) or even in a more extreme case into a defence slot?

I'm assuming the answer is no, but I had to ask. (I know everyone's thinking Rock is being a pain in the a$$ about this. Sorry in advance.) B )

Sometimes they designate them as a Center/LW or Center/RW and you can put them in either slot. If they don't change his designation you can send the 'yahoos' at Yahoo an email with something like the NJ Devils bio on Elias and point out that they are nuts.

I don't think you are a pain because I had this same issue with them last year. They had a player who was a wing listed as a center and it took about half the year to get him listed as C/RW.

As for goalies and how to use them, Manta, I found that if they are really terrible, you can actually improve your ranking by not playing them at all (fewer losses, you move up in that category). Sad, isn't it.

I need to get in there. I was embarrased last year and I need to get some respect back. I took Lalime in the 3rd round I believe.

As for 82 games for goaltenders. I think 164 is way too much but 82 is too little especially for people who want to take goalies as their top two picks.

Edited by devilsrule33

"As for goalies and how to use them, Manta, I found that if they are really terrible, you can actually improve your ranking by not playing them at all (fewer losses, you move up in that category). Sad, isn't it."

You tell me this NOW????

Kidding Sue; I actually needed Minutes played, total saves, etc. My loses were pretty limited since I ended up playing my --8-- goalies towards the end in only the most favorable match-ups.

Where is the signup info so I can get my team started

Manta, Sue and dr are in, five spots left.

The prerankings ARE screwed up, they also substituted Marion Hossa's rank for Marcel Hossa :P Hopefully Yahoo! fixes that glitch before the draft or everyone'll have to do a little adjusting of their prerank lists.

NJay I could push the draft date back a few days. I wanted to do it before the preseason started, but doesn't matter. Once the league gets filled we'll see where we're at, I think I'll wind up doing the draft on a weekday night since some other people'll want to watch football on the weekend :P

Edited by Hasan4978

As for 82 games for goaltenders. I think 164 is way too much but 82 is too little especially for people who want to take goalies as their top two picks.

You have to have the same number of games for each position though, I can't put 82 games for one position and 100 for another. I don't think it would be right to have anything other than an 82-game limit at another position so that leaves either 82 games for one goalie or 164 games for two, and I'm not doing 164.

Manta shots aren't redundant, you can get points and power play assists without having shots (think Cory Stillman, or Scott Gomez before last year). The PP category is for all PP points, not just the goals. The only category shots are totally tied to is goals. And even then there are some exceptions to the rule, like Prucha who had 30+ goals with a low number of shots.

I also think faceoff wins add to the strategy part of it, and faceoff wins are an important category in real life as well.

NJay's right there's no way to reverse the value of PIM's or I'd put it in that way, though it might be confusing for those that usually play with PIM's scored the 'normal' way.

Edited by Hasan4978

My point was you can have one player (e.g. Elias) who relevant to four different scoring categories, which makes it redundant. PIM's are the wildcard, because of the typically low scoring and bad +/-, a good GM needs to find that balance.

I still would prefer PIM's over "shots".

Can't you also pick up assists from taking a shot and someone scoring off the rebound? So shots could be related to assists as well.

If you want to get tehnical, a lot of offensive categories are related to each other. Hell points is related to just about any offensive stat. Other stats have loose relations. Power play points-assists-goals-points. Shorthanded points-assists-goals-points. GWG-goals-points. Etc. They're all similar yet have their own idiosyncrascies as to who does better in what. I also don't think it would be fair to have six categories for goalies and not have at least nine or ten for offense when you have ten skaters and one goalie.

And Derek's in, four spots left.

NJay I could push the draft date back a few days. I wanted to do it before the preseason started, but doesn't matter. Once the league gets filled we'll see where we're at, I think I'll wind up doing the draft on a weekday night since some other people'll want to watch football on the weekend :P

Yeah the primary reason I asked it not be on Sept. 9th is because that's when Penn State rolls into Notre Dame and I'm either in South Bend at 9pm that night or way too drunk to think about drafting players. haha.

halfshark's the 17th team, three spots left. I'll hold the last slot for LOTCB in case he has the time to join and wants to, since I know he hasn't had much of a chance to see this thread.

For future reference (mainly my own), here are the teams with posters now that everyone's signed up:

N.J.Swamps - me

Wolverines - DevilMinder

I Don't Know - IAmCanadian

Russian Mob etc - Devils731

RockysFlyingSquirrels - Rock

Dynamo Nation - redruM

Wolf Pack - LetsGoDevils

Jester's Devils - JesterDevil

Sworn Defenders - aylbert

Springfield Isotopes - Swede

J.Love - NJayDevil

Sarge's Squad - Sarge18