Newark Arena Slow Down

Terreri31

So I've been amazed at how the last few weeks the steel at the Newark arena site has shot up but this week their has been no work done that I can see. I can understand how on Monday and Tuesday they didn't work becuase of the rain but why not the last 2 days. Today was more then ideal weather to do outside work but those cranes haven't budged an inch. Does anyone have any news on this????

I have found the sad answer to my own question from the online version of the Newark Star ledger.....

Worker killed at Newark Arena stie

A construction worker at the Newark Arena construction project died this morning after falling 85 feet.

The man, who was in his mid-20s, fell around just before 9 a.m., said the Newark Police and the Essex County Prosecutor's Office.

He was rushed to University Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 9:27 a.m.

Authorities are withholding his name until his family is notified.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker extended his condolences to the family this morning.

"My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the young man who lost his life in this morning

Why would a death cause a work slowdown? These things aren't uncommon and happen all the time in construction. Are you basing the slowdown on just what you see through the webcam? The slowdown may be that they are waiting on material or something. How do you know a steel shipment wasn't delayed? Also it was mentioned earlier they don't have permits for everything. They could be doing things we can't see. Is there any movement of anything aside from the cranes?

Why would a death cause a work slowdown? These things aren't uncommon and happen all the time in construction. Are you basing the slowdown on just what you see through the webcam? The slowdown may be that they are waiting on material or something. How do you know a steel shipment wasn't delayed? Also it was mentioned earlier they don't have permits for everything. They could be doing things we can't see. Is there any movement of anything aside from the cranes?

Sammy, the poor guy that died wasn't a sheep or a pig, he was a human being, I'm not getting at you, but us blue collar workers are a little more close than cut-throat white collar workers, we care about our workmates, I would not in the least be suprised if work was stopped as a mark of respect to a worker who died on the job.

It has always baffled me why white collar workers are paid up to ten times more than blue collar workers, white collar only uses brain, blue collar uses brain AND muscle, that's why most of the commercials you see on tv are about heart disease medication or weight loss medication, the media caters to about 5 % of the population, not many blue collar workers sit on their ass all day in a nice air conditioned office and press buttons.

I vote they name the Newark arena after the poor guy that died helping build it.

Sammy, the poor guy that died wasn't a sheep or a pig, he was a human being, I'm not getting at you, but us blue collar workers are a little more close than cut-throat white collar workers, we care about our workmates, I would not in the least be suprised if work was stopped as a mark of respect to a worker who died on the job.

I wasn't saying otherwise and I meant no disrespect. Just that even here where we are I have read people have died (I think three?) on the SH130 highway and things seem to continue. Even when the last person I read about there seemed to be people on the job. Maybe they aren't union or tightly knit, I don't know.

Also, this happened today did it not? Work seems to have "slowed" even a few days before this. It may have come to a complete stop today to honor the worker.

That's terrible. Thoughts and prayers to his family. :pray: I agree, there should be a memorial built on the arena site for the guy.

Yeah I agree also. The guy risked his life to help build the arena for US. The FANS. Lou and Jeff had better do the right thing and honor him. I don't care if it's a moment of silence at opening night or if they work some type of deal with the city to name that area of Broad/Mulberry Sts. after him.

Oh and I was at the site earlier an hour ago. The project is still continuing. I was quite surprised.

Don't construction workers usually get a long Labor Day Weekend? This may be a factor in the "slowdown" along with the unfortunate death today.

If if they don't get one, they tend to take one anyway.... and anyone who think sthis project is slowing down has never done any construction on their house. :doh1:

If if they don't get one, they tend to take one anyway.... and anyone who think sthis project is slowing down has never done any construction on their house. :doh1:

commercial and res construction are completely different.

they appear to be making good time

In most lines of work, you get paid more for managing people than you do for managing things.

As they should be... Managers are the ones who take the fall when things go wrong, and take the praise when they go right. Blue collar, while respectable, is faceless and is more easily replaced in a plug and chug. Build this here, follow these plans, etc. I admit Im slightly biased because Im white collar, however, grew up in a blue collar home (actually being the only one in my family (not just immediate) carrying the title white collar).

A building being torn down by me had an injury when a wrecking ball knocked a wall down in the wrong direction, landing on a construction worker below. They stopped work for a week pending invesitgations.

While the slow down prior could be based off the weather and upcoming holiday, the freeze on work could be due to a pending investigation to determine if the job site was at fault, lacking the mandatory safeties such as nets, etc.

Back To Work at the Newark Arena Site....

As I look on the earthcam/new jersey devils webcam I can see that the site is up and running again.

I would hope that before the first devils game they in some way pay tribute to this worker along with all the others that worked at the site. I'm sure their will be some jumbotron story about construction at the site.

As for some sort of monumnet or street named after him I would doubt that would happen. To be honest almost every building you see has a story where a worker died during construction. 16 people died during the Empire State Building construction alone.

They could probably put up some kind of memorial plaque inside the main entrance or something. That's terrible news. RIP

By the way, I have 60-70 blue collar workers waiting on me and my 4 year-$100,000 education to figure out when, where, and how to do their job, that's why I get paid more than they do.

By the way, I have 60-70 blue collar workers waiting on me and my 4 year-$100,000 education to figure out when, where, and how to do their job, that's why I get paid more than they do.

:hah: Suxs it cost you 4yrs and $100,000 (jk)

Better to go from Blue to White to Self employed :dance:

Only prob is the headaches :dizzy:

:hah: Suxs it cost you 4yrs and $100,000 (jk)

Better to go from Blue to White to Self employed :dance:

Only prob is the headaches :dizzy:

Forget self-employed, I work for the federal government. Low stress, good benefits, and the best job security you can get.

Forget self-employed, I work for the federal government. Low stress, good benefits, and the best job security you can get.

I won't trade self employed but gov jobs are good for all those reasons

(low stress in most positions not all) :thumbsup: